“So Glad We Went on a Sunny, Calm Day”
Review of Pirate's Bay

More attraction details
Owner description: Although one of Tobago's more pristine and less crowded beaches, Pirate's Bay has the rougher waters typical of most northeastern beaches on the island.
Watersmeet, Michigan
171 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 213 helpful votes
“So Glad We Went on a Sunny, Calm Day”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We went to Charlotteville one day, but it was cloudy. We asked the way to Pirate's Bay and were told to drive up the paved road. (The one I had read about that no one should drive up!). So, if you are told by a local to drive up there, DONT. We did not, but decided to return on a better day. When we did return, it was a Saturday. We were surprised at how few people were around the town. We easily found a spot for the car and walked up the paved road that soon became a dirt road. We kept going and knew to look for the steps going down to the beach. We made it down easily, and there are 156 of them. There was a lady from Chicago who came to ask if we wanted a beach chair. It is her small business during certain times of the year. Her 2 year old son was enjoying the day at the beach with her. We had a good swim and snorkeled in the clear water. It was a great place to spend a few hours. We arrived in Charlotteville around noon, and the fishermen were already selling their fish. After our time at the Bay, we returned to the car to find a lady selling homemake ice cream from her car. Had to have some.

Visited March 2014

Swansea
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Worth the walk from Charlotteville - don't try to drive all the way!”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

It's one of the least accessible beaches on the island, but well worth the bit of extra effort required to get there. A picture-perfect crescent beach, with dense tropical vegetation behind and views across the bay to the wooded mountains of the main ridge. Lovely, clear water and safe access to/from the sea for people of any age (we visited in April and it was flat calm then).

As mentioned by others, there are no facilities (there was a stall, but no-one running it), so bring provisions if you plan on staying for any length of time. I can't say that litter was an issue when we visited. There was the odd bottle or bit of rope at the back of the beach, but not excessive by any means - perhaps there'd been a clear-up.

As also mentioned, don't drive past Charlotteville. I'd been told that the road was narrow and in poor condition, but nothing prepared me for the hairy drive! By the time I'd decided it was a bad idea, it was impossible to turn round (a car was parked at the only point wide enough to manoeuvre), so I told the passengers to get out at the top and inched my way back in reverse - it was truly terrifying, with the wheels frequently within a couple of cms of a sheer drop. I'd cursed the person who'd parked on the bend, but it turned out that the car's owner lived in the house just above the beach so, to be fair, the road was, effectively, their driveway.

Visited April 2013
Trinindad and Tobago
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Beautiful, hidden beach.”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This beach took my breath away. I mean that quite literally, as we had to walk up a trail from where we parked in Charlotteville. I must admit, the views from walking up that trail were absolutely stunning.Then down lots of steps, and I do mean a lot. More than a hundred. But this was quite fun, although a bit harder to do on the way back up the trail, as we didn't want to take a boat back to Charlotteville. The beach was amazing, clear, warm waters that felt so good on the overcast day that we visited. The beach was not crowded, as there was only a few locals to one end and a group of friends on the other end. This left the entire middle of the little bay for ourselves, which was ideal as my younger sister and her friends do tend to be a bit wild in the water. This beach definitely tops my list of favorite beaches on this little island. I was not aware of this beach despite my numerous visits to Tobago and found myself genuinely surprised at another awesome beach. A great day out with my family and friends and I will definitely be back on my return visit. My only problem, was the amount of garbage left on the beach. People should remove their garbage when they leave, it ruins the place for persons visiting after.

Visited August 2013
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Lovely location ... shame about the litter and ants”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We parked at Charlotteville, then walked up a long, steep hill and then down 156+ steps though the forest and found a delightful, secluded bay. Water was warm, shallow and lots of lovely covers for snorkelling. Shame though that we couldn't find any shade under the trees to picnic/read etc that wasn't covered in litter and hence lots of large ants everywhere. It became overcast as the afternoon progressed and then it rained hard but swimming in the calm sea in a rain storm was amazingly refreshing! A few small boast come into the shore and we haggled a boat ride back for 100TTS for 8 of us.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Sharon H
Seabrook, Texas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“The perfect beach!”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Leave your car in Charlotteville, and follow the road along the seafront up the hill, 10 minutes up the hill, road turns right and the just follow the signs and take the concrete stair steps down to the beach. All in all, 15-20 minutes hike, but besides the elevation and easy walk along a well maintained trail.
Beach is lovely, and snorkeling the best on Tobago (left side of the beach). You can follow the reef along the left hand corner, it becomes a nice wall with many different species when you get far enough out and to the left.
The beach even has a small stream with fresh water in the middle to rinse off. When you're done, walk back up and enjoy the sunset on the hill before rolling in to the small village again.
(Charlotteville itself has very limited dining or grocery, but enough to settle the immediate needs.)

Visited June 2013