“Great for birdwatching”
Review of Little Tobago

Little Tobago
More attraction details
Owner description: A tiny island off the coast of Tyrrel's Bay, also known as Bird of Paradise, that has been transformed into a wildlife reserve popular among birdwatchers.
Durham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great for birdwatching”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We are keen birders, and loved our trip to little Tobago. A guide is definitely recommended. We went with Peter Cox Nature Tours, and I would highly recommend going with him if you are interested in wildlife. He was very professional and a nature enthusiast, and he even took us to see a bird we had never seen before (blue backed manakin) the following day (for free!) because he was interested in seeing it too! We took a glass bottom boat to the island, spent an hour or so on the island (saw brown boobies, mot mot, tropic birds). Then we spent another hour or so snorkeling where we saw fantastic corals and fish. Peter Cox tours also included lunch at "Miss Jemma's Treehouse restaurant" overlooking the Speyside bay. The final stop is at the Argyle waterfalls, a fresh water pool.Highly recommended tour, especially for birders!

2 Thank nomahon

Bedford, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Boat trip out of Blue Waters Hotel”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We just turned up at the hotel looking to get onto a trip across to the island (they go at 14:00 according to the lady at the Bird Watchers restaurant), and were met by Jordan who got us on the right boat. The trip across was fast and not too bumpy although I understand others have had rough crossings. The boat took about 15 minutes to reach Little Tobago and then we were led up the winding path past the new museum being shown Motmot and Hermit crabs on the way. At the top of a fairly steep climb you reach a viewpoint where you can see down to the seabird cliffs and the jewels of the island are revealed. Our guide was very good at pointing out the different types of birds to those who needed his help but was switched on enough to spot the keen birders and point out specialities to them as well.
Even better - when this bit of the trip was finished we all marched back down to the jetty and those who were not interested in snorkelling were ferried straight back to the mainland while the swimmers were left on Little Tobago for half an hour to themselves before the boat returned to take them on to their reef destination - I had thought we were going to have to kick our heels on the boat for an hour while they swam but we didn't.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank rob d
Delmar
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Birding heaven”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Took a glass bottom boat out to the island with birding guide, Newton George. Hike the island seeing all kinds of spectacular birds, many nesting. Came upon a pommerac tree with ripe fruit and enjoyed each juicy bite. A must see.

Visited July 2013
Newark, Delaware
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“With a guide”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

There is a lot to see on the air, land, and water, but you won't see nearly as much without a guide. The hiking was fun and we saw land crabs. The real draw was the bird life. Some of the bays are home to several varieties, including rare birds. Once we were done we went snorkeling in the calm waters and saw giant corals and many interesting fish. Well worth the trip.

1 Thank BCD-onthego
Plainfield, New Jersey, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Hans Tours: Little Tobago - Bird of Paradise Island Tour”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Hans Philips is a great tour guide! We met him at Store Bay and after a friendly conversation decided to do the Bird of Paradise Island Tour. Ours was a party of six that included 4 young adults ranging in age from 18 to 21. Hans picked us up at 8:30 a.m. from our residence in Lambeau and we drove along the windward side of the island to the village of Speyside where we got onto a glass bottom boat which took us to Little Tobago which is a bird sanctuary. The drive was amazing! Hans was very knowledgeable, with a great sense of humor and he kept our group thoroughly entertained. Little Tobago is a bird lover's paradise, and my husband Leroy was very excited to see the many different species of birds. I would advise you to wear comfortable shoes and insect repellant. After hiking, we snorkeled in the waters of the Atlantic - Angel Reef - beautiful! We saw fish of all sizes and colors and the coral reef, the brain coral, the Japanese gardens - absolutely amazing. The girls also enjoyed jumping off the boat into the water, and Hans provided us with some very memorable photos at no extra charge.

After snorkeling we had lunch at Jemma's Tree House Restaurant where the food is delicious - the breadfruit pie is to die for! At first I thought I was not going to enjoy my meal because I was a little nauseous from the boat ride but Hans came to my rescue and arranged to have angostura bitters mixed with water for me to drink. This immediately settled my stomach and I was able to enjoy the grilled fish, salad, tannia fritters, rice, vegetables, Bar-B-Q chicken, fried plantain and of course, the breadfruit pie! After that was a trip to the Argyle Falls, and I must admit that at that point we all felt like taking a long nap! But the falls were breathtaking and the cool refreshing water certainly woke us up. Once again the girls really enjoyed jumping into the water. After that we made our way back to Scarborough where Hans treated our group to ice cream (my daughter Micaela was celebrating her birthday and Hans included this at no extra charge). We returned home around 5:30 PM after an amazing tour.

Hans truly made this a special trip for us. He made us feel like it was personalized just for us. And all this was at a cost of $85 US per person. A great deal! I think we made a great choice when we selected Hans as our guide and I highly recommend Hans Tours. Below are additional comments from each one in our group:

"Hans Tours gives you a beautiful and relaxing tour of Tobago. It is more personalized; you are not crowded on a boat with other people - just you and your party. I highly recommend this tour for your trip". (Ariana)

"Our group really enjoyed our day with Hans and our tour. We laughed all day and I will never forget our experiences. Hans Tours makes lifelong memories". (Lauren)

"Hans was an amazing tour guide. He made us very excited to see Tobago, as he explained everything we would be doing before we started the trip. He is certainly a fun and adventurous person to be around and I enjoyed the exclusive sites he brought us to". (Jeanine)

"I went on Hans Tours with my family for my birthday; it was great! He is so personable and funny! I got to experience things I never would have imagined. I highly recommend you go on his tour!" (Micaela)

"Hans was very business-like, informative and thorough. One immediately gets the feeling of confidence in the director, and for the 8 hours of the tour, these feelings come to full fruition. With humor and knowledge, Hans makes you love Tobago and makes you want to be a part of its culture, fauna, and physical features." (Leroy)

5 Thank Michelle G