“ill give a 5 out of 10 for the grounds of this hotel”
Review of Coconut Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tobago
Coconut Inn
Ranked #80 of 92 Tobago B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 7, 2008

me and my wife went to this hotel in May of 08, and when we goty there ... friendly girl at the reception desk... ok.... i got dissapointed when she mentioned that the pool was not available for at least a day! NOTHING for our entire stay!! ....all that we saw every morning when we got up was POOL CLOSED! ... then the rental car that they offered had no AC... and was very pricey too... The bathroom was O my Lord! filthy... and the sheets smelt like foot odor Sweaty ones ok!.... but the grounds was very nice ill give it a 5 out of ten.... just for the grounds.... other than that.... we had a place to sleep when the night came..

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank trinidad79

Reviewed January 8, 2008

I admit, I was a bit apprehensive at allowing my fiancé to book this hotel for our Tobago getaway this past Christmas. While still in the States, with my fiancé handling things in Trini, I googled this hotel and found one excellent review and two scathing ones, with the scathing ones being far more recent than the other. However, all three agreed on one thing - the place has potential. And it was that potential we pretty much gambled on. Boy, am I glad we did!
Based on one of the negative reviews, I was half expecting the place to be unkempt. This was far from true. Not only was the room clean and tidy, the entire place was LOVELY! The landscaping looked exactly like in the pictures - bright green, heatlhy and picturesque. But back to the room. It included a charming little kitchenette, a standing-shower bathroom (with a fully functional water heater), and in the bedroom a twin bed and a queen sized bed, dresser, and closet. The AC and cable were both working perfectly as well. A sliding door led to the patio, which led to the pool and gazebo.
Added to the amenities is the service. The people there were very friendly, helpful and interruptible (a RARE trait found amongst us Caribbean folk). We also took advantage of the car rental service they have available there. Granted, it was no Lexus, but it was clean, had fully functioning AC, and most importantly, it got us from A to B. (And why would any foreigner rent a high-end car in Tobago anyway? They'd probably crash it trying to maneuver the roads alone.... let alone amongst the drivers....).
Prior to this visit, my fiancé advised me as to why the negative reviews were written. The reason is as follows: If one visits Tobago in the month August, which is when the annual Great Fete takes place (which was also when both bad reviews were written), one should expect every available accomodation to be dirty (to put it lightly), since those places are fully booked, leaving employees little, if any, time to thoroughly clean up after unkempt (again, to put it lightly) patrons.
I conclude my review on this note - for a quiet, economical, and enjoyable visit to Tobago, I HIGHLY recommend Coconut Inn!! I also highly recommmend that you time your visit right!

Stayed: December 2007
1  Thank TriniQueen
Reviewed March 5, 2007

When we arrived at the hotel the room we were placed in was extremely dirty...the toilet wasn't even flushed...I lifted the lid and found a surprise waiting for me.
The bathrooms were disgusting, dirty with lots of insects crawling all over. Asked for our room to be switched, but the one we got was just slightly better.
Of course we could not get our money back.
The hotel has potential but unfortunately is very poorly maintained.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank crys123456
Reviewed May 25, 2006

This Inn was recommended to me by my cousin who visits often from Trinidad. The grounds are well kept and the lot is lush with palm trees, thick green grass and the path is lined with weathered conch shells (nice touch!). They provide transportation to and from the airport - bonus as they are about a 5 minute drive from Tobago airport. The pool was dirty and the bottom was broken up and slimy, but that didn't stop us from having some fun. The beach at Store Bay was 5 minutes away and costs about 35 tt one way. The General Manager is not very social and didn't offer to help us with our bags when we got picked-up - oh well, no tip! The room was clean, the bathroom clean. We did come across 1 worm-like thing - but it probably walked in when the patio door was open. Our room was well air-conditioned. The TV reception was poor - they said they were having problems. The room cost us about 55 CAD and we the run of the place to ourselves. It was worth it. With a full kitchen and fridge, we went to the grocery and loaded the fridge up with beer and snacks.
One major complaint would be that the reception girl had no idea about ANYTHING on the island! She couldn't answer any of our inquiries.
This is a great place for a group of people travelling on a small budget. I'd recommend Johnson apartments in Storebay if you plan on a group outing.

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank WeatherBunny
A TripAdvisor Member
New York, USA
Reviewed April 20, 2006

I just came back from the worst ever hotel in Tobago....I normally don't comment about services given by staff but this is the worst ever....I went to Coconut Inn with two friends from America and three from Germany....Over the five days we had room service once, prepare for dirty bed sheets, no towels,little worm like creatures and to top it off don't even think about complaining because the staff is the most discourteous set of people I have ever met...Imagine just asking for our rooms be cleaned the 'general manager' complains back to you that they are short staffed, asking for towels is a big no no becaused they are short on that as well...while we were there they told us on two occasions we could not use the pool although we paid for that and the reason is because some other people who weren;t staying at the hotel rented it for the night to barbque, anyway the pool has moss in between the broken tiles and be careful how u step on the floor of the pool because there are alot of alien objects in there....we used Spence's pool and stayed two nites over at Spence as well (great service)..... I am a citizen of T&T and I strongly do not advise anyone,citizen or visitors to go to Coconut inn .... Room service is poor, cable breaks down everyday most times u gaze at a blue screen (walk with dvd's), worm infested,mossy pool,genral manager with an attitude (drinks everynite), staff following in the tracks of their 'leader'....WORST SERVICE....DO NOT ENTERTAIN THE THOUGHT....LOOK ELSEWHERE....

• Stayed: April 2006
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 13, 2004

The Coconut Inn is a darling little hotel, perfect for the budget traveler! I originally picked it b/c my outdated guidebook said dirtbike tours could be booked there--no longer, but the hotel was so cute and the people so friendly that I stayed the whole time. I stayed in the non-air-conditioned part, that had communal (clean) bathrooms and a communal kitchen. Cost me all of $12 USD per night. All the staff was wonderful and took great care of me. There's a supermarket just down the road, and although it's a bit of a walk to Pigeon Point, it's an interesting trek.

Grounds are GORGEOUS, lush tropical foliage everywhere, a small pool, and it's just the most pleasant view to wake up to. Staff can set you up with any tours, car rentals, etc.; it's easier to let them track down tour operators than to try to do it yourself. Had a great time, and I'd highly recommend it for budget travelers!

• Stayed: October 2003