“Junior Thomas is an amazing guide”

Tobago Forest Reserve
Ranked #9 of 101 things to do in Tobago
More attraction details
Owner description: Established in 1763 to combat European deforestation of the island, this was the Western Hemisphere's first forest reserve.
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Junior Thomas was our tour guide when visiting the rainforest. He was very friendly, very knowledgable; cannot recommend him highly enough.

It's best to go earlier in the morning as it does get quite hit and humid around midday and wear shoes suitable for mud

1  Thank Basilcat81
There are newer reviews for Tobago Forest Reserve

Reviewed November 30, 2011

We stayed at a Eco Chateau and had our own waterfall. You can get to waterfalls everywhere right off of Northside Road. Sitting on our porch we saw a minimum of 20 species of birds. If you love birds, this is a MUST visit.

Reviewed November 27, 2011

We walked from puddle to puddle. The air was humid. Nothing for people with some health problems. You need good walking shoes. We had a nice guide: W. Kennedy, we booked a day tour with him. He could name every tree in the wood and knew everything about the history of Tobago. Had a great day with him
E-mail: kennedy_islandtours@hotmail.com

Reviewed October 15, 2011

We took the Little Tobago tour with Peter, and found him to be very personable, with a good sense of humour. He has an excellent knowledge of the birds (as you might expect), but he could converse on a diverse range of different subjects, which made for an interesting and enjoyable trip.

The trip itself was nice, but in all honesty we really didn't go at the right time of year so what we saw was limited. If you get the choice to snorkel or not, then personally I would give it a miss, but this is because I have been to the Red Sea, and I thought it was poor in comparison. If you have never snorkeled before, then you'd probably enjoy it, but I would have preferred more time at the falls, which came at the end of the tour.

As mentioned, Peter was great, but two minor points;

1. He didn't seem 100% sure what the itinerary of the day was going to be - this is because he had my partner and I, and another couple from another hotel. It turned out that he had promised them they could see Charlottesville, and us the Argle Falls, which the other couple had already seen. In the end he had to shoehorn in quite a bit, which meant we had very little time and the falls. This made him late for church, and whilst he never said anything, he kept looking at this watch and I could tell he was a little distracted.

2. We made the mistake of trying to pay in local currency - it wasn't an issue, Peter, like many of the guides were happy to take any type of currency, but when it came to trying to work it out, it was a little confusing. So my advice, if you do decide to pay in a different currency (we didn't want to take US because of the pants exchange rate), then probably best to pocket a small calculator.

Overall though I would highly recommend Peter - in comparison to tour guides that we have had in the past from the major tour operators, there was no comparison.

I would definitely use him again, and look forward to seeing him at the next Rutland Bird Fair.

2  Thank species
Reviewed October 9, 2011

When I vacationed in Tobago, I hired Peter Cox as my tour guide who I found on the Internet. I lucked out and struck gold, because Peter was everything that I could have hoped for in a guide. He is a consummate professional, as well as a very nice man, who knows everything about Tobago and is also an expert on the birds and wildlife of the island. Peter has an amazing eye and could spot birds that I never would have seen! With his expert knowledge, friendly demeanor and professionalism, I saw all the highlights of Tobago, and Peter made my visit perfection. His prices are also very reasonable, and his car was comfortable and well air-conditioned. I wholeheartedly recommend him to anyone planning to visit Tobago.

3  Thank ReviewCurmudgeon