“The name Rainforestt says it all: raining”

Tobago Forest Reserve
Ranked #8 of 101 things to do in Tobago
More attraction details
Owner description: Established in 1763 to combat European deforestation of the island, this was the Western Hemisphere's first forest reserve.
USA
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“The name Rainforestt says it all: raining”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We walked from puddle to puddle. The air was humid. Nothing for people with some health problems. You need good walking shoes. We had a nice guide: W. Kennedy, we booked a day tour with him. He could name every tree in the wood and knew everything about the history of Tobago. Had a great day with him
E-mail: kennedy_islandtours@hotmail.com

UK
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“Peter Cox Excellent guide - just a couple of helpful points”
Reviewed October 15, 2011

We took the Little Tobago tour with Peter, and found him to be very personable, with a good sense of humour. He has an excellent knowledge of the birds (as you might expect), but he could converse on a diverse range of different subjects, which made for an interesting and enjoyable trip.

The trip itself was nice, but in all honesty we really didn't go at the right time of year so what we saw was limited. If you get the choice to snorkel or not, then personally I would give it a miss, but this is because I have been to the Red Sea, and I thought it was poor in comparison. If you have never snorkeled before, then you'd probably enjoy it, but I would have preferred more time at the falls, which came at the end of the tour.

As mentioned, Peter was great, but two minor points;

1. He didn't seem 100% sure what the itinerary of the day was going to be - this is because he had my partner and I, and another couple from another hotel. It turned out that he had promised them they could see Charlottesville, and us the Argle Falls, which the other couple had already seen. In the end he had to shoehorn in quite a bit, which meant we had very little time and the falls. This made him late for church, and whilst he never said anything, he kept looking at this watch and I could tell he was a little distracted.

2. We made the mistake of trying to pay in local currency - it wasn't an issue, Peter, like many of the guides were happy to take any type of currency, but when it came to trying to work it out, it was a little confusing. So my advice, if you do decide to pay in a different currency (we didn't want to take US because of the pants exchange rate), then probably best to pocket a small calculator.

Overall though I would highly recommend Peter - in comparison to tour guides that we have had in the past from the major tour operators, there was no comparison.

I would definitely use him again, and look forward to seeing him at the next Rutland Bird Fair.

Visited September 2011
2 Thank species
Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“I struck gold when I hired Peter Cox as my tour guide in Tobago!”
Reviewed October 9, 2011

When I vacationed in Tobago, I hired Peter Cox as my tour guide who I found on the Internet. I lucked out and struck gold, because Peter was everything that I could have hoped for in a guide. He is a consummate professional, as well as a very nice man, who knows everything about Tobago and is also an expert on the birds and wildlife of the island. Peter has an amazing eye and could spot birds that I never would have seen! With his expert knowledge, friendly demeanor and professionalism, I saw all the highlights of Tobago, and Peter made my visit perfection. His prices are also very reasonable, and his car was comfortable and well air-conditioned. I wholeheartedly recommend him to anyone planning to visit Tobago.

Visited September 2011
3 Thank ReviewCurmudgeon
Brussels, Belgium
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Peter Cox, the walking talking encyclopaedia”
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Peter Cox’s knowledge of Tobago birds is nothing short of encyclopaedic. He can mimic the cry of any bird and attract it to him. However, unless you’re a serious twitcher, it can be awfully slow going at times. The highlights of our trips with Peter for us were the leaf-cutter ants in the rainforest, the hummingbirds at the hummingbird centre that mesmerised us completely and the cayman who got rather close in the wetlands.

Visited July 2011
2 Thank elgar02
Matlock, United Kingdom
81 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Peter Cox "Forest and Waterfall tour" - Brilliant”
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Don't try this without a guide. Get Peter booked early in your trip , he can be very busy and is only one guy, not a group of people. He is incredibly knowledgeable and also very passionate about nature and conservation. Make sure you confirm the date with him, we had a slight mis-understanding and we could have easily missed each other.
This is an early start, 06:30 but it keeps the heat down and as there is lots of walking a good idea. Take some bug repellant, you will be walking through a tropical rain-forest. We supplied our own rental car, this can keep the costs down (don't need a 4x4).
Peter supplies a running commentary on the plants and animals. His abilty to spot animals that you would never spot are incredible. The rainforest walk was a good 3 hours but worth every second. Our kids loved it. If you are thinking about this before you travel to Tobago, pack some binoculars - will help with the more flighty birds.
We finished at the tour at the Argyle Falls - see my other review for this.

Visited August 2011