“Carnival 2014 - Monique's II on the hillside”

Monique's Guest House
Ranked #3 of 4 Maraval B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
“Carnival 2014 - Monique's II on the hillside”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

SCENERY
PLUS: AWESOME view of the mountain side
NEGATIVE: None
LOCATION
PLUS: Nice countryside with a FANTASTIC view. Great sunrise and sunset.
NEGATIVE: Not walking distance from ANYTHING at all. Atleast I wasn't walking. Definitely need a driver or rental car.
NOISE LEVEL
PLUS: None
NEGATIVE: HORRIBLE. The neighbor's dogs bark ENTIRELY too much ALL NIGHT LONG. I am not even going to talk about those DARN roosters. LOL! Nothing could be done about them though, they make noise all over the land.
ACCOMODATIONS
PLUS: Room service and front desk employees were EXCELLENT. Very helpful. Very informative. VERY festive.
NEGATIVE:1st phone in room didn't work. 2 days later we recieved a new one and that one didn't work either. Hotel said it was the actually phone line that was bad. Asked our roomy next door if we could use hers and all was well. No ironing board but he beds were HARD enough to iron on. Furniture was old and falling apart. Food was GREAT but eatery was ONLY open for breakfast. You have to go out or order for lunch and dinner. Also, there is a LOOOOONG walk from Monique's II to the main office and eatery. Down ALOT of steps and a steep hillside. It was a MONSTER workout going back and forth to breakfast. MONSTER workout. The place is NOT wheelchair accessible AT ALL. Don't even have bad knees or a back. Shower could have been Oxy cleaned or CLR'd a bit. Was a little dingy for my liking but doable.

Overall, the staff made my stay enjoyable. I wasn't expecting Hyatt type of accomodations but atleast the ones listed on the website and a fairly cleaner bathroom. Oh yeah and a working room phone. I loved the balcony, view and area we stayed in. Wasn't close by anything at I was okay with that for the most part.

Room Tip: If you are playing mas and unfimiliar with the island or have no family nor friends PLEASE stay in a...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank ShawnMonik

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My family and I stayed on June 7 until June 21. I must say WInnie and her staff were exceptional throughout our stay. The room was well maintained and clean. The only issue I had was the ballroom around the tub had mold but nothing to major. I did not bring it the staff attention. I do have commend the front desk lady with red hair. I forgot her name but one day I ordered kfc and the did not have a credit/debit machine for me to purchase my food. The lady without hesitation rung in the food on the front desk terminal and gave the delivery guy the money. She did not have to do it but just because she did that showed legendary service. Winnie also gave me things to do while visiting the country for the first time, which I totally appreciate and took advantage of. I will definitely be back next time I am in Trinidad. Hopefully next time I am back it maybe a Best Western hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room that in the second building with a kitchenette if you are staying longterm.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank s1980leduc
Le Francois, Martinique
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This was my 2nd time at Monique's. I did Carnival both in 2011 and again for 2013. Went with a group of 4 both times. Stayed in a Quad Room.Nice, clean, spacious room with a balcony and 2 big beds (actually 2 twins put together). Breakfast is included and it is a proper meal, as much as you can eat, and it is quite good. It's only a 5 minute drive (when traffic is good) from Queen's Park Savannah, the epicenter of Carnival. At the same time, it's on the road out of the city towards Maraval, so it feels like an escape from the intense energy of Port of Spain, making it a peaceful place to sleep and rest. The staff was friendly and very helpful. They know all details about how to do Carnival right, so they can fill you in. I had a great time the first time, even better time the 2nd. I organized my group's travel arrangements and Monique's was my choice. If I bring another group to TnT, Monique's will be my first choice again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Golpeador09
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2013

we spent a week staying at monique's during carnival and had a glorious time. The staff were friendly and helpful - whatever we asked for, they were happy to provide. The breakfasts were sublime, but you do need to let them know that you will be having breakfast or dinner in advance. It's worth it!
Arnold the chef went to great lengths to make us a special Trinidadian dinner. It was amazing!
If you come to Trinidad and are ready to embrace the culture this is a great place to stay

Room Tip: Oops! No pool - no need head to the beach and no fitness centre - who needs it with these hills!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Dneezy
Florida
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I first stayed at Monique's guest house in 1998 and have been a repeat visitor ever since. In fact I have tried other hotels and guest houses and whenever I have to stay in Port of Spain.The front desk staff allows me to choose my room number well in advance and will advice me if I cannot get that room, they suggest the next best available room. One thing that truly endeared me to this guest house was on one stay there,Mistakenly, I did not close the zipper to one of the compartments on my carry-on travel bag. I had $6000 in that compartment and never knew that it had fallen out of the bag until I was contacted overseas by a Monique's front desk staffer who informed that the cleaner had found the money in the bed after I had checked out and turned it in to the front office. Believe me, they kept that money in their safe custody until I returned and it was returned to me in an unsealed envelope. I have no fear of leaving my stuff in my room and going about my business whilst the cleaner is in the room and since 1998 I have never lost property whilst staying there - and I usually leave my suitcases and bags unlocked. The staff there have NEVER been rude to me. The owner - (Mrs . Champagne over the years has developed hearing difficulties). It was explained to me that folks usually touch her to attract her attention.

Years ago, I commented to the daughter of the owner, that Monique's would lose customers due to the absence of internet access there. The owner's daughter informed she had heard my thoughts and the next time I visited she would have internet facilities in the rooms. Sure enough this was a reality on my next visit one month later. Complimentary wireless internet is now at Monique's.

The rooms are kept clean and bed ALWAYS nicely made up. Strangely at times I have to leave the guest house early in the morning and the chef always makes himself available in time to prevent me departing without breakfast or prepare a plate of sandwiches the night before and cling wrap them for delivery.

I have stayed at some of the chain hotels in Port of Spain and yet missed the home feel of Monique's and the lush vegetation in the area. I stay nowhere else but Monique's and recommend it for a truly pleasant stay. I have 7 more trips to Trinidad and will not be staying anywhere else as I am a truly satisfied repeat customer.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Coconutboy-12
Dresden, Canada
Reviewed February 3, 2012

We stayed a week over 2011 Christmas.. has somewhat a rainforest feeling at first but had problems with noisy neighbours and there kids... but staff were willing to change rooms for US next day away from that family... We would not allow staff to clean our rooms unless we were there because of what we heard the first day there, from another guest who was leaving..
The rooms were clean, towels clean. The shower was broken and water (cold always) dribbled out. I had to wash out the kettle a few times and boil all water because it was weird tasting.
we were invited to Christmas brunch... which we thought was nice and very tasty...however, I was under the impression that the owner Ms Monique was abit discriminatory against me being white, because the 3 Times I tried conversing with her, even when she saw I was talking to her, she never answered me and walked away...
Yet when other non Caucasians people talked to her, including my fiancee.. who was born in. TRINIDAD.. Ms Monique was quite the gabber.
Also beware of the neighbours 2 dogs.. al they do is bark, bark all day and night-Horrible!!

Aside from Monique being a bit out of the way 1/2 way to Maravel between Port of Spain, we had wished the front desk would have told US this when cfalling to enquire about reservations, seeing they knew we didn't have a a car to get US around.. but after being told I was not elegantly to be served at Burger King in TRINIDAD (Western rd east, Port of Spain) because I was white, my surprise at Ms Monique's refusal to have a chat with me Christmas Morning, was just another chuckle at how racist some people still are in TRINIDAD.

Room Tip: FOR A GOOD VIEW, be prepared to climb many stairs. 150 stairs Plus... and the hill grade is steep...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Steven P
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Good size rooms with comfortable beds and adequate furnishings(i.e.nothing fancy which you don't really need if all you need is a place to relax after a day of sightseeing). Housekeeping is good and the staff friendly/helpful. Parking lot is on side of a hill which requires parking sideways which can be a bit of a problem manoeuvring if there a more than three cars in the lot. Overall our party of 17 were satisfied with what we got for what we paid.

B & J Morgan
Brampton,On.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank triniscot
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maraval
La Quinta Inn & Suites Trinidad
#8 of 10 in Trinidad
Radisson Hotel Trinidad
Radisson Hotel Trinidad
#6 of 21 in Port of Spain

Been to Monique's Guest House? Share your experiences!