“Watch yur bill when you leave”

Royal Palm Suite Hotel
Royal Palm Suite Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Maraval
A TripAdvisor Member
“Watch yur bill when you leave”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2006

I stayed two nights at that hotel. They charged me for three. I didn't notice it when I signed my bill and when I got home I e-mailed them to inform them of it. They were adament that I had stayed three nights and refused to refund me tor the overcharge of my credit card. The service is non-existant. The bar and restaurant closed for the day (the day I arrived) and only reopened after I complained about it. Maybe that's why they won't refund my money. The rooms are old and shabby, the furniture a mish mash of everything and nothing comfortable to sit on anywhere in that place. The ac is too small for the room size and doesn't cool it during the day. Noisy. The food is mediocre. Don't eat there.

Not recommended to anyone. Watch your charges when you leave because you'll have a merry chase to get your money back and not guaranteed. Too bad because it is well situated and close to everything. They have bad management and it shows everywhere. Too bad.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2006

We arrived to a shabby Hotel that need massive updating. It took 20 minutes to check in and we were charged 250 US Dollars a night!

The Rooms are damp and equipped with old furniture and equipment. The Resturant is very very poor.One window had no glass in it. We did not feel safe in this Hotel.

As an international businessman I suggest you avoid this hotel and commute from Barbados to your meetings if you can not find a Hotel in Trinidad.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
susan345, Manager at Royal Palm Suite Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
This guest obviously stayed during Carnival and he had a problem with the rate.
I have no idea what window was broken and where since the restaurant does not have any windows.. It would have been interesting if he could have pointed out same to us as we are at a loss as to what he is speaking about.

He also did not state whether there were many persons checking in at the same time as himself.

The hotel has been upgraded since 2006, so this review really is unfair to the Royal Palm Hotel and we would recommend that the unfair old reviews should be removed and Trip Advisor update its web information as it is misleading and can lead to a case of slander.

Travelers are raving about these Maraval hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2006

Royal Palm Suite Hotel is a Great Hotel. I spent a month and the staff were helpful and friendly. My room was over looking the pool. I had a fantastic view of the northern range. This hotel is very close to downtown Port of Spain. It is within walking distance of shopping plazas and restaurants and half an hour away from the Maracas Beach. My room was clean and well maintained and I enjoyed myself. On my return to this Island I will defnitely stay there again.

It was awe-some.

• Stayed January 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2006

This was one of the best experiences ever! The atmosphere of Royal Palm Suite Hotel really gave a sense of carribean warmth and friendliness. Not only did this hotel compliment the warmth and beauty of this island, but the service and food was that of a 5 star hotel!

I really enjoyed my stay and have already made plans to return to this exquisite hotel!

• Stayed August 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2006

This hotel has seen many upgrades. It is not at all like what I read in the poor reviews.
The staff was helpful. The hotel was being upgraded during my stay.
The rooms are large and all tiled and clean.
The bathrooms have been upgraded.

I found management to be very friendly and helpful.
I stayed for 5 days and enjoyed my stay

Good value for my money.

• Stayed January 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2005

My colleagues and I were in a jam when the Crown Plaza was booked for the week and we were without reservations. Our client company worked hard to secure new accomadations, but the entire Port of Spain area hotels were booked. Our only option was the RPH in Maraval. Our clients warned us of the hotel and to our horror their premonitions were indeed accurate. Besides the handwritten check in process that took 15 minutes per person, they charged us up-front. That left little negotiations during our future negotiations with management. The place is like stepping back to 1935 which was the last time the rooms with renovated. These, frankly, were the worst rooms I have ever stayed. The first assault on your senses is the damp smell of the room. The second is the state of room, everything is old, poorly maintained and smells. My colleague had a dead reptile on the floor that accompanied him during his two night stay. There was no hot water, the shower was discusting, the faucets and sink unuseable. All in all an experience I will never shower off of me. Please, do not stay there!

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2005

I wish I’d known about this website and seen the reviews above before booking.

Made a reservation here for a 10 day visit for Trinidad Carnival 2005. What a mistake!!

Payment in full was processed immediately, without authorization. A receipt was received three weeks later - the evening before we left for Trinidad.

Within 15mins of checking in, we had checked out.

Hotel - old. Room - dirty and dusty. Furniture - old, broken and mismatched. ACU - covered in cobwebs. Bathroom - 'decorated' with lime scaled broken tiles, broken shower fixtures and a mouldy shower curtain. Needless to say, the bedding did not fill you with much confidence. Customer service - non-existent.

Took our complaint to the hotel manager the next day. She gave us an earful of verbal abuse and personal insults; then threatened us with more of the same when we objected to her tone. This continued every day - for the next 8 days - while we attempted to arrange a refund. We were offered 2 alternative rooms - of exactly the same disgusting standard.

The state of the hotel and the treatment we received by the hotel manager was so disgraceful that we were urged to lodge an official complaint with the local police, Consumer Affairs and Tourism Departments.

We were informed by the above agencies that the actions of the hotel were illegal, according to Trinidad law. We managed to get a 50% refund. This was only after 3 months of lengthy correspondence. During this time the hotel manager continued to hurl insults our way, made false allegations and finally dismissed our complaints as ‘hogwash’.

Please. Please. Don’t waste your time or money. You won't get either back.

• Stayed February 2005
10 Thank kmjstl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maraval
Courtyard Port of Spain
#5 of 21 in Port of Spain
The Carlton Savannah
The Carlton Savannah
#14 of 21 in Port of Spain

Been to Royal Palm Suite Hotel? Share your experiences!