“Delicious”

Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
“Delicious”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

The food here is very tasty. Kudos to the chef. Good service. It's a bit pricey though, but a good getaway from the everyday humdrum.

• Visited July 2013

“Great Food...Vintage Ambiance”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Although I'm Trinidadian, I'm always pleasantly surprised as to the many places we have here locally that have existed for many years and continue to provide quality food. One such place is Tamnak Thai Restaurant (TTR) located at Queens Park East, Port of Spain. I was reminded of this restaurant by an ad they placed in the newspaper about their Sunday Father's Day special. I decided to take my mom, wife and kids the Saturday night for dinner.
One of the most important aspects of any restaurant is that all important first impression. First impression at TTR was exceptional. Although we made reservations earlier that day, upon arrival the hostess could not find our reservation, but that did not stop her from correcting that blunder immediately by adding our party to the list and setting a table for us. We did not wait long at all probably because it was pretty quiet that night. TTR offers two settings for dining, one being a semi-outdoor setting and the other being a more formal indoor dining. The semi-outdoor setting is just outside of the formal dining area, fully covered with a lovely fringe garden. We opted for the indoors as the outdoor setting in my view was too close to the main road. Carbon Monoxide inhalation and dinner was not the plan.
Our party was subsequently ushered to our table by our very welcoming hostess. It should be interesting to note that the TTR is set in one of the old victorian designed houses around the Queens Park Savannah and I loved the interior design and layout of the restaurant as they tried to maintain the original interior decor with a touch of modern drapery. Some may call It dated but the bright tastefully designed interior added some luster to the vintage exterior. It might have been just me, but I commented to my wife on two occasions on how quiet and peaceful it was, seconds after soft Asian music came on for a few minutes....then it was quiet again. I did not mind the quietness though. The table in my opinion was a bit small however for a party of six, although there were three kids, table space was very cramped but nicely laid. They should however try to update the menus as they were very old. The tables and chairs were a bit shaky.
Service at TTR in my opinion was excellent. from the ushering to our seats, to the way in which our server took our order. One of the boys spilled some juice on the table and they were very quick in cleaning up the spill and even replaced the drink in a very polite manner. Another server who seemed to be the manager or maybe just another server always ensured that we were ok and that our glasses were filled with water. Speaking of the water....I opted for bottled water and much to my surprise they offered a foreign "Fiji" brand water which costed TTD$40.00. This is way too expensive for water and I was a bit peeved that they did not have a local brand of water. The Fruit punch I was also told was "home made". It turned out to be Orchard Brand fruit punch.
After placing our order, I found that the food took some time to come out, especially since it was a very quiet night. I could imagine if it was busy....it might have taken forever. Once the food arrived however, we found it to be very delicious. My wife had the seafood soup for starters and I had the fried seaweed and shrimp roll both of which was very tasty. The boys had their favorite asian starter....vegetable spring rolls and given that they ate it all in seconds, I'm guessing they enjoyed it a lot. The main course was very tasty and nicely presented. We had vegetable rice, salt fish rice, hot plate beef (the kids loved this one) and a spicy squid. I had a feeling that they made an error with the squid as the menu listed it as deep fried with garlic and pepper. It came out stir fried with garlic and pepper. We opted not to return it fearing that it would have taken too long to correct it. It was very nice though. Again the boys finished it...which is generally a good indicator that the food is good. Most of the items listed on the menu seemed to be traditionally Thai and I liked how they described each item in detail on the menu so for first time Thai Cuisine diners like ourselves, it was easy to choose without asking the server what items were on the menu. The price of the food is not that pricey based on the other comments I've been reading given the location and ambiance of the place, I think the prices generally was not that bad. I've had worse food in the Port of Spain Area and paid around the same price.
In Summary, TTR offers really good food in a very vintage setting. I hope that the excellent service continues, as it differentiates from other restaurants in the Port of Spain Area.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Mohammed_K_Rahman
“Tasty food”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Food was delicious...great tasting naans and a peaceful atmosphere in such a busy part of town! The staff was pleasant.

Trinidad
“Horrible Service, Inconsistant food”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The only thing worth trying is their Thursday night buffet, and that's because your ability to eat isn't dependent on the horrible staff. My first visit in about 5 years was greated with no front staff to seat me, I spent almost 15 minutes waiting and eventually had to telephone their downstairs restaurant and have someone come up to help. That night the restaurant had 10 tables if so much and it took 20 minutes for a drink order, and the service only got worse. When I finally got dinner after almost an hour, I didn't see or hear from a single staff member for over 45 minutes!

There were some tables waiting over an hour for dinner. The food on that night however was actually pretty good. The staff appeared poorly trained, and not very pleasant.
Ignoring that night, and probably playing it off as one that was plagued with a staff issue I visited the restaurant again a week ago. This time the service was mildly better (definitely not worth what you get at other restaurants in the same price range)) but the food was horrible. There was great inconsistency in what I had ordered from the last time.

As far as thai cuisine goes, the food is probably 4/10 in terms of authentic, and you might far better enjoy a Hakka chinese restuarant or anywhere else. Much better restauarants, with far better service and food quality are available for half the price of Tam Nak Thai, and you dont have to putup with slow, lazy unhelpful staff.

Avoid this sore in the heart of port of spain!

• Visited May 2013
San Fernando, Trinidad
“Love the food!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

A couple of coworkers and I visited for lunch. Service was quick. Food was great, as usual. My favourite is the lamb in red curry, which is always excellent.

The restaurant is a bit dated - shaky chairs and tables, dull cutlery, worn/ torn menus. It could definitely use an update.

• Visited May 2013