“Wonderful Hotel!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Atlanta, Georgia
“Wonderful Hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

My friends and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Trinidad and had a wonderful time. Even though the hotel was full due to carnival they still manage to make you feel like you were the only one staying there. The rooms were big and the staff was extremely helpful and friendly. I loved having breakfast every morning out on the patio overlooking the water and the buffet was delicious . Everyday they prepared an exceptional buffet with not only the staple breakfast foods but also included local cuisine as well. Special thanks to David our taxi driver who set the tone of the trip when he picked us up from the airport, Ravi the best bellhop ever, Crystal who we kept busy in room service, Janine in housekeeping and the front desk agent who's name I just can't remember now. I think his name starts with an L. My only complaint was concierge. We had some issues trying to arrange a trip to Tobago. Great vacation either way.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Czech first
Stroud, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here during a business trip, the welcome was great and I was upgraded to a balcony room. Throughout my stay the staff were helpful and attentive, going that extra mile to sort things out.
The hotel was immaculately clean and well maintained.
My room was lovely with a local coconut treat on arrival, it was very well equipped and the view from the balcony was fantastic.
I look forward to returning on my next trip.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Maraval, Saint George, Trinidad and Tobago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

I stayed here over a weekend with my mother and sister. The room was great and the customer service was of a standard that, sadly, is all too rare in Trinidad and Tobago. The wifi reception was spotty but fortunately it was comped on checkout. The breakfast was good, but I did not think that there was much choice for vegans. I gave four stars for cleanliness because we had the misfortune to find some long blonde hairs on the chair in front of the vanity. All in all a good stay and I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Trinichick76
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

Both my husband and I have travelled a LOT for business and/or personal and stayed in a lot of hotels around the world. We decided to return from our Caribbean vacation via Trinidad for one day and "happened" to choose the Hyatt Regency to stay (recommendation on Expedia). The hotel was amazing in every way from the delightful check-in staff who didn't have the room we preferred available when we arrived at 10am (but they did have others had we wanted to go to a room before the 3am check-in time) so they put a request in for our preference which became available at noon (high floor, ocean view). The room was very comfortable when we did get there - bright, very comfortable king bed, glass walled shower and overall, extremely comfortable. We decided to have a light breakfast since we'd been travelling since 5am and both the service and quality in the Waterfront Restaurant was great. We shared one portion of the scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and a side of toast but it was fabulous. That evening we decided just to have something light since we had a long day's travel ahead the next day so decided on the Hyatt's sushi bar. Well - this was probably the best sushi either of us had anywhere. The head sushi chef - Joel - and his team were incredible. Extremely friendly and very proud of their "creations". We live in Seattle where the sushi is already very good but the Trinidad Hyatt's sushi was in a league of it's own. Almost (!!!) worth going to Trinidad just for the sushi. Congratulations Hyatt Trinidad - you have an amazing hotel where every one of your staff seems focused on your guests.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be good but we always like higher floors and the ocean-side view is amazing althou...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RosalynA
Union, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here in June 2013. I travel a lot for work, so I had high expectations. I am from Trinidad, but This was my first time home in about 20 years. We had a great trip.

Check in - We had an issue at check in, but it was resolved. For the inconvenience we received complimentary breakfast and wifi.

Staff - The staff was very professional and friendly.

Rooms - spacious, clean, and modern.

Pool - small area, however it was still nice and comfortable.

Food and Beverage - we only ate breakfast and had drinks at night; both were great.

Transportation - My only disappointment was the cost of transportation. After a few days my hubby and I figured out how to walk to town and take taxis from there.

Tours - through the hotel we hired someone to take us to bird sanctuary and maracas bay. It was expensive but the tour guide was great, he took care of us. We will call him directly next time.

Additional comments - this hotel is on the water, but it is not a beach as some reviewers stated.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Trinidad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

I took a mini break at this hotel being a local over the weekend. Upon my reservation confirmation, I got an email asking if I required additional services. I immediately reserved the late check out option for a small fee. The fine print stated "Upon availability". When I checked in, I was greeted with a warm CSR, however I wasn't able to get my late check out option due to none availability. I inquired further, only to fine out if I pay 150% of the original fee then the late check out option would be available. Now, I respect businesses and their policies. What annoyed me was that, now the option is available at a much more substantial amount. The CSR saw my disturbance by this, she reduced the amount but still- Hyatt if you offer a service by upon availability, do not let it be at your convenience.

The breakfast was outstanding and I had a well rested break............

Room Tip: Bed made some noise.............
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
KenFromKent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

We had a secured booking for three rooms, for the night of the 15th of March. 14.... All well and good, we arrived and were greeted bt Valet Parking.. who were eficiant and polite..
However, by the time we made the front desk.. that Politeness had sailed out the window..! we were... er.. (greeted)
By a young lady by the name of Krystal?
My Fiancée's sister had made the booking and agreed and early check and all rooms on one floor.
No.. chance Krystal was not having any of it..!
I I Quote... You HAVE to take the rooms I offer. or what else you would you like to do? ( was that a go an stay somewhere else suggestion).. Early check.. no krystal said you didn't arrange that.. ( oh we must by liars)

Then I asked please can you place all charges on one room.. NO... was the answer.. impossible.. swiping my Credit Card three times and raising a flag from the Visa fraud team in London..

The Check out was horrendous we had arranged a late check out but a young man named TRENT wasn't having any of it.. and it ended up in a stand off.. he would not rechip our room keys therefore we could not access our rooms to clear them...

I have spent 38 years, which is more than half my life traveling too and from Trinidad and also I have lived there.. from experience you normally get what you pay for.. but the front desk staff at this hotel are in desperate need of training.. One had the feeling that the staff see guests as a challenge .. However Most of our issues were eventually resolved by Curtis the front desk manager and Nicholas a supervisor.. but why? why cause so much stress in the first place.? why must it need a manager? hence... Hyatt... Please train your staff and get them empowered to be Guest friendly.

As for the Water front Restaurant.. the meal we had in the evening was nothing short of excellent, We also used the pool bar where the Barman did very thing he could to accommodate our needs and with a smile.

The rooms were spacious and with views across the sea My Fiancée's nephew/ niece room overlooked the city which was spetaculer at night..

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Acajou Hotel
Acajou Hotel
#1 of 2 in Grande Riviere
Cara Suites - Pointe a Pierre

Been to Hyatt Regency Trinidad? Share your experiences!