“Still going strong”

Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Barbados
“Still going strong”
Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

Having stayed at this Hyatt before I was interested to see what changes had transpired in the last 2 years. The good news is that the rooms are still in very good shape however they are only suited to solo or couples with the lack of bathroom privacy.
The amenities are still of a high standard and unlike many hotels who constantly change their toiletries brand Hyatt has kept their brand and standard. At a rate of $137.00 Usd plus 18.7%taxes with breakfast it's good value. Walking distance to town beats the Hilton which on the flip side usually offer better rates with a recently refurbished hotel interior, rooms pool gym and lobby.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Czech first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed July 29, 2012

On July 4th I and other colleagues spent a night at the Hyatt Regency Trinidad – Port of Spain.
The stay went well; the accommodations are conformable and clean.

We had problems with their service, specifically the front office desk. In the middle of the night (while sleeping and obviously not consuming in the hotel) my colleagues got SMS from their credit cards that amounts of cash were being charged by Hyatt on their credit cards.
In my case I just noticed after some days that some amount of cash was debited from my credit card without authorization. Up to now I'm still trying to get a refund.
The feedback I got is that the refund was processed on the following day, although, my credit card don't show this refund. I’m waiting to receive a proofing document of this refund.
Some of my colleagues are still waiting for the refund. Some blocked their cards on the same moment for lack of trust.

I'm extremely disappointed with this service from a chain with very good reputation. The perception for the whole group was negative.
Would not recommend this hotel. There are many other luxury hotels in Port of Spain where I could get same quality of accommodation with better service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Cristiane T
Kingstown, Saint George, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Reviewed July 27, 2012

The Hyatt Regency located in the busy capital of Trinidad and Tobago is the ideal place for high powered conferences and business meetings. The rooms are spacious, pristine with an executive looking decor.
The high point of a stay at the Hyatt Regency in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago is the absolutely luxurious bed and bath experience! A King size bed ,great linens ,lots of fluffy pillows. I have stayed at several hotels all over the world -Europe,The USA, The Middle East, The Pacific islands,The Caribbean and the Hyatt Regency offers a powerful adjustable shower , a choice of refreshing, relaxing or stimulating bath gels and body creams that have not been equaled anywhere else .
The ambiance of the grounds is nothing to shout about but there is an infinity type pool overlooking Port of Spain sea that offers the ambiance the rest of the grounds lack .
I will recommend this hotel

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Kay B
Bear
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Took a trip to Trinidad for the first time in 12 years stayed at this hotel for 1 week OMG amazing, amazing the pool you cannot get enough of it, the staff is so friendly and professional, the spa exceptional massage and receptionist. The only thing I did not like is the fact that the shower is in the middle of the room with no privacy if you share a room with teenagers or family. The location is convenient to the city. I came back in 07/12 OMG they offered me and my son free breakfast and internet I am hooked on this hotel I will never stay anywhere else so much to do in a hotel I have never experienced a hotel like this Great Job Hyatt!!!

Room Tip: All rooms offer a breathe taking view. The ocean view is amazing for me.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My husband and I stay here every time we come to Trinidad. Great service and great food! The staff were very accommodating and the room was great. I will always book the deluxe king room because that has a great balcony facing the ocean.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New York, US
Reviewed July 21, 2012

This is a newer hotel in Trinidad. Stayed here for 2 nights with my wife and teenage daughter. Excellent lobby and bar, and average room and food. Pool was cold and the pool jacuzzi was out of order. Service was hit and miss. Kareem was excellent, but other staff were disinterested or unfriendly. This hotel is on the waterfront but the water is disgusting and smelly. I would not stay here again. The Hilton is a much better choice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank TriniNewYork
Largo, Florida
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I was in Trinidad on business for 3 days and then another 3 for a mini get away. The Hyatt was wonderful. I was greeted with a smile and a glass of wine. It is quite tropical in decor and design. The rooms were lovely and spacious. I ordered room service several days. Very timely and good food. I also ate at the hotel on several occasions. Great sushi and service.
After my business meetings, my husband arrived and we continued our stay. We reserved several day trips through the hotel and they exceeded our expectations. Our guide was Omar Muhammad. He is a young chap and very well versed in Trini culture and history. The hotel also arranged for a town car to pick my husband up from the airport. They also transported us at 4 AM for our early departure. Excellent driving and service. The hotel made reservations for us at Apsara for dinner one evening. Excellent Indian food.
We enjoyed the pool and bar service. We will go back next year and in my opinion, The Hyatt is the only hotel to stay in Trinidad.

Room Tip: high up. Great city and water views.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
D' Coconut Cove Holiday Beach Resort
Acajou Hotel
Acajou Hotel
#1 of 2 in Grande Riviere

Been to Hyatt Regency Trinidad? Share your experiences!