“Very nice stay...”

Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Smyrna, Georgia
“Very nice stay...”
Reviewed June 17, 2011

All around a well managed property. so well run, you don't know the difference between the owner and the bellman. All personnel are professional and friendly. Security is very quiet but well enforced.

Room Tip: Request a water front view for the best room...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Czech first
Trinidad
Reviewed June 14, 2011

We made the reservation for a smoking room with a balcony. Upon arrival we were placed in a non smoking room with no balcony. No one at the check in counter told us about this. When asked to be moved into what we wanted (smoking room and balcony) we were told that half of the hotel had problems with the hot water (not working) and had to be relocated, however, they did have one available at an addition 100US. After saying yes we will take the room were we called back to be told it will take about 2 hrs before we got this new room since it had to be cleaned. We decided to not take it since we had reservations at a restaurant in Port of Spain that we did not want to miss.

The fridge/chiller in the room was not working. When we alerted the front desk the guy said since it was just the weekend was it really needed? Mind you he said this infront of other guest who were checking in. That was poor!

We had a late check out (3pm) and out room card stopped working at 12noon. When we told the front desk they said the system have us down to be checked out at 12noon, they had to change this even though the guy upon arrival confirmed a late check out with us.

The breakfast was great, buffet style. Live entertainment on Saturday night and the drinks were great also. The bed was amazing and we had a good sleep in it. The rain shower feature in the bathroom was also great and a plus. The pool is a bit too small for the size of the hotel and got crowded really fast. Lots of chairs by the pool to relax and the pool bar is also right there which is great.
It was my birthday and they sent up wine and cake which was a nice gesture.
Get a room with a balcony we did feel a bit caged up without it!
Overall the hotel is clean and modern.

Room Tip: go to breakfast early it can get crowded fast.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank samsamskye
Chaguanas, Trinidad
Reviewed June 14, 2011

My family and I had a short, weekend stay- but it was definitely something we hope to do again.

We each received a complimentary drink (wine or other) on arrival to check-in.
The staff was very helpful and friendly.
The rooms were very nice and clean and we opted for connecting rooms.
The balcony (from the 21st floor) had a great view of the ocean, port, central bank and other buildings.
The pool was nice and had lots of seating options with a bar/restaurant area as well.

On the main floor, there is some really great sushi, and a good bar too (though it's all a bit expensive). There was live entertainment for those dining outdoors which was fun (even for those inside). Breakfast was an excellent buffet! There were local foods (roti, fried aloo, etc.) and international dishes (eggs, bacon, potatoes, soups, toast, croissants, cheeses, smoked salmon, cereal, fresh or dried fruits and desserts!!!)

Great stay indeed!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank vmrj15
Toronto
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Had an excellent stay at the Hyatt! Food is good. Service is good. Rooms are great! Can't go wrong....if you have the money for it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank iliketravel99
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Stayed here for a Caribbean Insurance Conference and was pleasantly surprised. The usual conference hotels I stay in are in the US and are vast and relatively impersonal. The standard rooms here are a decent size with a cool glass shower in the middle of the room (no bath though).

Plenty of outdoor space for meetings which gave a relaxed environment for the business meetings.

My room was on the 3rd floor which meant I wasn't waiting ages for the elevator like a lot of business associates which can be annoying when late for meetings!! The fitness centre is on the 3rd floor as well as access to the pool on the 3rd and 4th floors. I was a little concerned that there would be a problem with noise because of the pool and gym but there wasn't at all. The almost instant access from my room to the pool area was great (not that I had much free time to use it).

Overall food was good but service was a little slow but I guess that's because I'm not used to the laid back Trinidad way of life. Staff were very friendly and I would recommend this hotel if you find yourself in Trinidad on business.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
San Fernando, Trinidad
Reviewed May 28, 2011

A group of us (my parents, my sister, my aunt and myself) decided to sample the delights of the Cuban Food Festival currently being held at the Port-of-Spain Hyatt Regency. The music was wonderful, the ambience lovely, even the attention of the staff satisfactory, however it was all marred by the discovery of a live and wriggling maggot on my sister's plate during her main course. Upon the discovery, the plate was swiftly whisked off to the kitchen and our waiter (Kevin) informed us that the manager would be with us shortly, as indeed he was. My dad, my aunt and myself all decided that we'd had enough of our main courses following the discovery, although my mum bravely tried to soldier on as she was determined that her first ever visit to the illustrious Hyatt Regency was going to be a lovely one, no matter what.

What followed next was nothing short of bizarre: the manager, although at first seeming apologetic, then proceeded to inform us that it was most likely that the maggot (being still alive) had probably sauntered out from either the tomatoes or cucumbers and insisted that it couldn't have been the Arroz Moro from which my sister had seen it emerge that had been at fault. He almost seemed to suggest that it was nothing extraordinary to find live maggots in 'cold' food as this was more comfortable for them than hot food, and that this was nothing to be alarmed at.

I'm sorry, but at three hundred dollars a plate plus tax and service charge, this was in quite poor taste. No one needs to hear the detailed reasoning behind how comfortable maggots are in either a hot or cold dish while they're attempting to eat said dishes. The question should be 'why are they there AT ALL?' To his credit, his response was swift even if his attempts at wiggling out of the situation left a lot to be desired. A gastronomic experience for most of the people at the table was severely impaired, although he did offer my sister a choice from the a-la-carte menu and a few free coffees for the table. We were still charged full price despite the impaired experience. I suppose that my mum's determination to soldier on was mistaken for everything being just fine and dandy with the rest of us.

It was quite a shame, but I regret that I will never partake of any culinary offering at this hotel in future, however great their reputation, as I prioritise peace of mind at a dining experience over checking every single rice grain to see whether it moves or not.

Room Tip: Did not stay in a room thankfully.
  • Stayed May 2011
10 Thank Demerara_chica
1Waterfront, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Trinidad, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
Dear Valued Guest, We sincerely regret the unfortunate situation experienced at the Cuban Food Festival and we are deeply embarrassed by your sister's discovery and the response of our supervisor. Please note that this is not the experience that Hyatt Regency Trinidad is well known for as we continuously strive to give our guests the highest quality of hospitality, food and service.

We have already reviewed our suppliers and have taken the appropriate steps necessary to ensure that this does not occur again. We are very disappointed that your first experience at our hotel did not live up to expectations and we truly hope that you would re-consider visiting us again.
Diego Martin, Trinidad
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Best hotel on the island. From check-in to check-out, my family had a wonderful weekend. The rooms were spacious and clean, the eating areas were top-notch, the gift store was stocked with an endless supply of fabulous goodies and the pool was a hit with my children. Thanks for the great weekend.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
#1 of 2 in Grande Riviere
The Carlton Savannah
The Carlton Savannah
#14 of 21 in Port of Spain

Been to Hyatt Regency Trinidad? Share your experiences!