“Best on Island”

Hyatt Regency Trinidad
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Best hotel on the island. From check-in to check-out, my family had a wonderful weekend. The rooms were spacious and clean, the eating areas were top-notch, the gift store was stocked with an endless supply of fabulous goodies and the pool was a hit with my children. Thanks for the great weekend.

Reviewed April 28, 2011

I stayed at the Hyatt at the end of March and will be returning next week. I had a wonderful experience. The hotel staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, the room was immaculate, and I haven't slept so well in a hotel anywhere in the world! I was a bit disappointed when I walked into the room and realized that there was no bathtub, but the rainwater shower was actually a wonderful change. The terrace outside the lobby is lovely, and the gentle breeze and joyous atmosphere made the end of each day just lovely.

The food was delicious, and the manager of the restaurant was absolutely incredible! He attended to every detail and really spoiled us with extra attention and willingness to indulge our every whim.

I didn't have time to try the spa or pool as my trip was filled with work, but I can't wait to get back!

My only recommendation would be not to use the business center as the prices are outrageous. Otherwise, if you're on business in Port of Spain, the Hyatt is the place to be!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the sea.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank JenZen67
Reviewed April 27, 2011

My first impression of the hotel was great. Fast check in to our Club Level room and free drinks at the Club. The hotel looks great with a typical Hyatt decor. We went to the pool and there was no service whatsoever. They had no towels and I asked at the bar where I could get some. They told us they would bring them. We never got any so I went and took some from the maids cart. The service at the pool restaurant was super slow. The only thing they were fast about was to collect the dishes after the meal when my kid was not even done with the meal and just stepped away for a while. His retainer was on the plate which we had to go dig up at the kitchen trash. For dessert we ordered ice-cream. We watched it melt at the bar for a while and got up and got it for ourselves. The pool bar staff was beyond lazy. We had also ordered additional towels and robes to the room. They also never came and I had to help myself to the maids cart again.
Another problem we had was that I went downstairs to get some drinks and left my kids in the room. On the way back my room key did not work in the elevator. I asked them to fix it which they said they did, but it did not work . In the meantime a giant line had formed at the reception and I was stuck behind all the people while my kids were worrying in the room. I asked to talk to the manager. They had a security guard take me to my room, because I had no id with me. My point is that when everything goes according to the plan the hotel is great, but when problems arise the customer service goes downhill. I also stayed at the Hilton Hotel which had great service.

1  Thank givemesunshine
Reviewed April 27, 2011

I came to the Hyatt with my fiance to spend 2 nights over the Easter weekend. Understandably, the hotel was crowded and when we arrived for check-in, we were told that our room (top floor, ocean-view, balcony) wasn't ready as the previous guest had a late check-out.
We were told to return in 45 minutes. Upon return, we were told the room was not yet ready, and to return in 30 minutes.
We were a bit tired and wanted to relax in our room before heading off to dinner, but we patiently waited.
On returning to the front desk (yet again), we were told the room was not yet ready as the safe was giving a little trouble.
Finally, (after 15 minutes) we were escorted to our room. The floors were still wet and we weren't allowed to enter the room and had to wait by the elevator for a few minutes before we could enter.
The front desk clerk said "we promise to turn your trip around" and thanked us for our patience.

The room was gorgeous, the bed was super-comfy, and i loved the shower/tub.
I had a beautiful relaxing mini-break and really felt like I went on vacation without leaving the country (a "stay-cation" :)

My one tip for the Hyatt staff - follow up on your promises.
While I understand that the previous guest stayed past his/her check-out, we waited for nearly 2 hours.
And several returns to the front desk to check on our room was unnecessary.
Why not give an accurate time to return?
We had to reschedule our dinner reservations due to the late check-in.

Despite the rocky start to the stay-cation, I had a beautiful time.
Always will have fond memories of the Hyatt as it's where I got engaged :)

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Reahana19
Reviewed April 16, 2011

The HYATT gave us an early check-in so that my husband and daughter could enjoy the infinity pool and its facilities. To their disgust, they saw feces in several parts of the pool - the steps into the pool, the center of the pool and the surrounding parts of these areas. They alerted the staff and I called to the front desk and hospitality staff. There was no follow-up on the hotel's part with us and we can only assume that the matter was cleaned up. Guests ought to check this top hotel's facilities before dipping in!

6  Thank TriniTraveller69
Reviewed April 16, 2011

I spent 12 nights at the Hyatt this April whilst on business in the country. The hotel is fantastic - we benefited from a very reasonable rate which included breakfast and free internet for the duration of our stay. The rooms are great - I had a sea-view room with two double beds, step in tub and shower and all the other usual amenities. There is also a somewhat pricey spa in the hotel but, I didn't get a chance to try it out.
The pool is great - an infinity pool, and has a bar and grill so you can grab a snack. It is situated on the 4th floor and is just the right temperature to cool off after a session in the hotel's excellent gym or just after the general humidity!
The hotel has an upmarket restaurant which we did not eat in as we preferred the more relaxing vibe of the outside seating area and veranda. The waiting staff are extremely courteous and really get to know you and go out of the way to be polite and make you feel welcome. Service is slow but, then that is normally expected in the Caribbean anyway. The "bar" food is pretty good - a limited menu but, very tasty if a little overpriced. The hotel also has a sushi bar - whilst I didn't eat there my colleagues said that it was pretty good if a little fish dominated!
It was my birthday whilst we stayed at the hotel so one of the waitresses, who went out of her way to look after us (Kezia) had arranged for a birthday cake to be presented to me and the hotel singers serenade me too!! So that was nice.
Breakfast is a buffet style set-up and there is a great selection of food to be had. Omelettes, pancakes etc. can be made to order but, you also have the usual continental and hot options too.
The major downside of the hotel is the location. Port of Spain isn't the most glamorous of destinations but, the walk up into town is not to be done alone (whether you are male or female!) I am sure there must be nicer parts of Port of Spain but, it certainly isn't where the Hyatt is.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank hlmackenzie
Reviewed April 13, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in January. We have been to Trinidad many times before, but we usually stay with family. This time we wanted to try something else, and we were pleasantly surprised.
First of all, the service at this hotel is outstanding, and it seems that good service is very hard to find in Trinidad and Tobago. But everyone was friendly, helpful and kind.
We liked everything about the hotel. The view from our room was amazing, the room was beautiful, modern and clean. The bed was very comfortable. The breakfast was really good. The gym has everything you need, The pool is a bit small, but really nice. We found that the food at the restaurants was too expensive, so we didn't try the restaurants.
We will stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
D' Coconut Cove Holiday Beach Resort
Acajou Hotel
Acajou Hotel
#1 of 2 in Grande Riviere

Been to Hyatt Regency Trinidad? Share your experiences!