“Loved loved loved it”
Review of Thanna's Place

Thanna's Place
Ranked #6 of 43 Port of Spain B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We felt very at home at Thanna's Place! Great location, minutes walking from Queen's Park Savannah and also within walking distance of Frederick St. Anna was a most hospitable host, providing great breakfasts and lots of advice of what we may want to see and do, how to get there and anything else we needed to know. Lovely place with a bright shared kitchen, our room was clean and cute with big comfortable bed and TV (which my daughter appreciated). We'll definitely be staying here again on our next visit!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank iyamwadiyam

Reviewed March 1, 2014

We stayed at Thanna's for three nights in mid February during the lead up to carnival. We had hired a birding guide to take us to the birding hotspots of Trinidad so we were up early in the morning and didn't get back to Thanna's until early evening. Anna is everything the other reviewers described: warm, caring and very hospitable. We've stayed at other B&B's that have fixed times for breakfast, but Anna had no problem making our breakfast to our schedule. On our last day we had to leave at 5:00am to get to Nariva Swamp by 7:00, and I certainly didn't expect her to make a breakfast at 4:30am, but what a nice surprise when she gave us two box breakfasts to go, with a sandwich, sweet roll and fresh fruit. Anna told us it was safe to walk to Apsara Restaurant which we did for dinner twice. By North American standards the accommodation may be considered basic, but it was clean and comfortable in every respect and the a/c meant no outside noise disturbed our sleep. It's unique and local, not like a cookie-cutter hotel. I give it five stars, not for luxury, but for doing what it does so well. I would stay there again if I was in Port of Spain.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Scott W
Reviewed February 5, 2014

After reading all the excellent reviews, we decided to stay at Thanna's. We only had 24 hours in Trinidad, so she arranged for Omar to pick us up at the airport and take us on a tour of the island. We had lunch in a private home on the mountain - AMAZING - be sure to get Omar to arrange that! Then after more touring, he took us to a "shark and bake" place on the beach. Only disappointment is that it wasn't safe to walk around in the evening, and that we had to pay by Western Union (no credit cards). But Anna was very sweet and got up early so we could have breakfast before heading back to the airport. Short but sweet!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Doctor-Pat
Reviewed January 2, 2014

i had a lovely stay at thanna's place, feeling very safe and well-looked after. both anna and her daughter, thais are very sweet, and make sure your stay is a comfortable one. i travelled solo, and without a car. thanna has drivers she recommends and i did a tour with omar one day, which was fabulous, and nick took me to the caroni swamp tour the next day, telling me about local music, and the area. i arrived a day late, and had only three days in trini....i think i would recommend at least four or five days, because there is a lot to see! if you are traveling alone, make sure you negotiate the price ahead of time, as it is always much less with more people. after leaving trinidad, i was reading an article on st. james street for food. make sure to ask anna about that one...it sounds like a local thing and delicious! i just want to say thank you thanna's and her drivers....my visit was great!! and i looked forward to those breakfasts each morning...

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Anna was very helpful. There was nothing she told us that we had to second guess. We are kind of adventurous but when she said not to be, we listened. Anna runs a very professional B&B. Moreover, she cares about her visitors beyond just paying customers. Really great spirit. I arrived several days later than expected as I was stuck in Miami. One would have thought she already knew me, she was just as concerned about my unpredictable arrival. Even though my departure from POS became just as unpredictable as my arrival, Anna advised me on lessoning the stress related to my traveling by airline standby. Nick who also runs a taxi service can be arranged at Thanna's Place. We found Nick to be very reliable and just as hospitable as Anna. He was always on time and knowledgeable. Thanna's is within walking distance to Queens Park Savannah and absolutely perfect if you're planning to go to Carnival. It's also close to other busy areas, either by walking or taxi. If you're not lucky enough to book before Thanna's is sold out, I would suggest calling or sending an email to Anna anyway for suggestions or possible cancellations. Personally, I put a lot of stock in measuring professional and personal persona. Anna's did not differ in any way. That was so comforting. We felt as if we were staying with family. If it weren't for school demands, we would definitely be back for Carnival. However we are certainly looking forward to returning as soon as school is done. Let me not forget to say that if you're taking the ferry over to Tobago or interested in attending other scheduled events where you will need tickets, most of it can be arranged at Thanna's. Breakfast was beautifully displayed every morning. Now, I will warn you, that if you are a big breakfast kind of person, you will need to adjust your breakfast eating habits. Ironically, I am a big breakfast person but I realized I didn't need a lot of that tiring food in the first place. In the evenings there are various food vendors over at the Savannah. It's good, affordable and convenient. It is a bit far from the airport but Nick can take care of those transfers.

Room Tip: Our room was quiet and quite efficient. From others who stayed in other rooms, they too seemed to b...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank DevedaPhD
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We (2 of us) had a 4-day stay at Thanna's Place. It is a very cozy place - located in an area that is easily accessible from the airport. The rooms are clean and comfortable (nice sheets, hot water available all the time, A/c when you need it, space for clothes, Wi-Fi that works, etc.), the breakfast was made by Anna herself (and very tasty, including local dishes). It is located in a residential place within walking distance from the large Savannah Park (where we walked and had delicious "street food"). Anna also has a very well-vetted network of taxicab drivers and tour operators who can be trusted to provide an enjoyable and knowledgeable experience of Trini. All in all, a wonderful experience to cherish for both of us. Thank you Anna and family!!

Vidya & Murli

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Had a nice short stay for my birthday in late September..Booking room was quite easy..Anna and her daughter Thais were very nice and attentive, made us feel quite at "home"..very intimate and hospitable BB..secure and clean..Anna took the time out to chat whenever possible and Thais was there as well to see to guests needs..Just ask, and Anna and Thais would give advice and guidance as to shopping, trips etc..Also Omar their taxi driver was very nice and prompt to any arranged trips..would stay at Thanna's again..

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
#12 of 43 in Port of Spain
Melbourne Inn
Melbourne Inn
#27 of 43 in Port of Spain

Been to Thanna's Place? Share your experiences!