“First time carnival experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Port of Spain

Courtyard Port of Spain
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Copenhagen, Denmark
“First time carnival experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

Once I had booked flights to come for the infamous Trinidad carnival, I decided to cut the whole accomodation hazzle very short and book a room for my friend and I in this hotel, that has hosted me on several business occations and always been delivering on all aspects, most of all the warmth and genuine hospitality that you feel from the very moment you walk into the lobby.

I wasnt sure what to expect from the hotel during carnival when the place is completely sold out and buzzling with excited guests, but we found the same smiling, warm and helpful staff as always, and the few things we had to solve during our stay were dealt with quickly and professionally by Dalia and Camille, while Edomite at the bar gave us plenty of useful insights and tips.

On one evening the hotel hosted an evening event with food and drinks for all the guests free of charge, and outdoor showers were made available right after Jouvert - very much needed! We had locals picking us up for all major events, but as others have mentioned, a shuttle service on Monday and Tuesday would have been a very appreciated sadd-on.

Staff wise, I was very sad to hear that Erchelle will be leaving. On more than one occasion she has provided service that by far exceeded what you could expect from any hotel staff member.

I will be back for business in less than 3 weeks, and as always I look forward to spend a few days in my "Caribbean home".

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Christoffer M
GMCYPOS, General Manager at Courtyard Port of Spain, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Christoffer M,

As usual we appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our team has been consistent in their service delivery.

We are happy to have hosted you for you first Carnival and look forward to seeing you in three weeks.

We will also miss Erchelle but we are happy that she has decided to pursue another career within the Marriott family.

Thank you for your feedback on the shuttle, we will consider as part of our 2015 Carnival planning.

Nicol Khelawan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

As a local resident of Trinidad, i stayed with me and a group a friends for Carnival 2014. The hotel staff was fabulous location was perfect, housekeeping put up with jouvert paint and all and everything was great. Food, Drinks, Would recommend over the HIlton and Hyatt in trini

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Anelia S,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience with us.

We are happy that not only did you enjoy Jouvert but also your stay with us during Carnival.

It was a pleasure serving you and we hope that we will see you sometime soon at your home away from home.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

I travel alot and i'm a stickler when it comes to certain things. That noted, i've been in a few hotels during my carnival experiences. This hotel although not big and flashy (like hilton or hyatt) does have a feel for it in which your not just a "number". The staff is friendly and courteous and they pay attention to detail. The location is perfect for carnival as well since many of the events are in the area, if catching a cab is rough you can walk back.

That noted, below are areas to improve
-- Hotel Internet: Horrible, they need to increase the bandwidth specifically when many people are using it during carnival. This was the only pain point in my experience.
-- Provide shuttle service: Specifically during carnival, provide services so people can go in groups to meet up with their bands. The hotel does offer taxi service but during carnival monday and tuesday why not have a free shuttle? Your charging us enough to stay so a few additional bucks to cover the costs wont break the bank
-- Keep the kitchen open!: Many nights your coming in back in the wee hours of the morning, why not have extended kitchen hours? Also keep the bar open till midnight
-- Extras: A win this hotel can do is add foot massage booths after carnival monday/tuesday. I was soooo in need of a foot rub after those days... I would of even paid for the service.

Room Tip: During Carnival there are NO quiet rooms. So keep that in mind if you cant fall asleep over loud mu...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMCYPOS, General Manager at Courtyard Port of Spain, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
AAW1977,

It was indeed our pleasure to have you with us during our island's 2014 Carnival. We are happy that you appreciated the friendly and courteous service of our staff, who everyday strive to embody the Marriott service culture.

We appreciate your recommendations and will consider them as we plan for our 2015 Carnival guests.

We look forward to seeing you again in 2015, if not before.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Great Courtyard customer service and to some degree much better than you'll find in USA.
clean and typical sized rooms. Back Lobby has transportation service desk Eurocar(for taxi for other transport service). Dining/bar on site as well as movie town next door. Dining options next door range from casual to business/formal dining but the prices next door are more economical than highlighted restaurants in downtown. As a lone traveler , I didn't think walking beyond the movie town center would be safe and my work colleagues never suggested any walking destinations (3 in fact said Movietown). Many dining options in town were $$$ - $$$$ easily + taxi adds up.
I would gladly return for business to this Courtyard!

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
GMCYPOS, General Manager at Courtyard Port of Spain, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Myinbox125,

We are truly pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated the service that you experienced.

Your feedback will be shared with our associates whose passion for their jobs are reflected in the service they provide.

Thank you and we do look forwad to serving you again sometime in the near future.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

I'm an upper tier Marriott club member so when I decided to spend the weekend in Port of Spain, I gravitated to the Courtyard by default. I was very happy when I arrived and checked in. The front desk was very responsive and fast on checking in. The rooms were in good condition and were well maintained during my stay. The food at the restaurant was okay - recommend you walk across the parking lot to the shopping/entertainment complex next door for food.

Just know the hotel isn't very close to the airport. It's about a half hour drive.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMCYPOS, General Manager at Courtyard Port of Spain, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
TesmithS,

I must say thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We are pleased that the responsiveness of our team contributed to your positive experience with us. Our proximity to a cineplex and shopping area helps add to the experience of our guests.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back when your travels bring you back to Port of Spain.

Miami, Fla
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

This hotel focuses strongly on their staff being courteous and friendly. This is the reason I stay here when I travel. They are always here to help and make a point of calling you by your name. The rooms are comfortable and great internet speed.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Toti2112,

Thank you for sharing feedback on your stay with us, we appreciate your loyalty to Marriott over the years.

Our team strives to deliver personalised service to all our guests and your comments will be shared with them.

We are pleased that our complimentary high speed internet service met your needs.

We do look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Scarborough, Tobago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

I like peace and quiet. I spent two weeks at the Marriott, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago and i got just that. I noticed that most of the guests at the time were business people and that set the right atmosphere for me. the ambiance was lovely and the employees were excellent. It's the first time i've stayed at a Trinidad hotel and felt welcomed... at home. I could have sensed that the staff were genuine always. I wish that the hotel had much more entertainment to offer but i guess being so close to Movie Towne made up for that down fall. I loved my room... it compensated, somewhat, for the absence of my own bed. The king sized bed was plush and cozy - always welcoming after a long day of business. As if that weren't enough, you are greeted with warm and friendly notes from you room attendant daily - Makes you feel as though you are coming home to family. The room is also equipped with a digital combination safe.

Some areas to improve include:
1. more entertainment channels for your 32' Flat screen TV (Starz, Cinemax, max etc) - too limited
2. Buffet style meals vs. set meals (menu)
3.wider variety of items at the Market place

I really hope the staff is being paid well because they do such an excellent job. I love the Marriott and i look forward to another Marriott stay any day.

Jenise

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are closest to everything you need.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Jenise K
JeniseK,

We are happy that during your stay with us you felt welcome.

Thank you for your feedback and we are pleased to advise that the variety of items in our Market has been improved.

We trust that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back when you are next in Port of Spain.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port of Spain
Acajou Hotel
Acajou Hotel
#1 of 2 in Grande Riviere
Cara Suites - Pointe a Pierre

Been to Courtyard Port of Spain? Share your experiences!