“I was not impressed by the service at check-in.”

Courtyard by Marriott Port of Spain
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Reviewed February 12, 2014

To begin with I had called the hotel and spoke to Rochelle several days before my vacation. I had explained to her that I would need a roll away bed which she said I could certainly have upon arrival. When I got to the hotel the rude girl at the desk told me no it was a "fire hazard". I was traveling from the US with family which we paid around 3400.00 for one week and you could not accommodate us after smiling in our faces and taking your tip?? Besides the issue with the bedding she lied to us stating kids under twelve were not entitled to breakfast which we did find out later that they were. So after the first night seeing that we had used the chair for my child to sleep in, the cleaning staff asked me if I wanted a roll away bed not even knowing the rude girl had told me no. Within hours I had one delivered and set up with linens:) I could not begin to tell you how much I appreciate the cleaning lady named "Michelle" not only did she help me in the bedding aspect but had my room spotless!! I have never seen a hotel room so clean before. Everyday she surprised me more and more with how well she took care of our room. Overall the hotel is great but whomever checked us in on Feb 1,2014 could definitely use some skills in professionalism and people skills.

• Stayed: February 2014
GMCYPOS, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Port of Spain, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Lilsassy,

Thank you sharing feedback on your stay with us.

I apologise that you were not pleased with your check in experience and will like to discuss this further with you, you can email me at nicol.khelawan@courtyard.com, if you prefer that I call you please include your phone number in the email.

Your comments about Michelle has been passed on to her and she will be recognised formally for the excellent service she provided to you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

The moment we check- in to the moment we checked-our , the friendliness of the staff was very welcoming. I much give kudos to this special front desk agent, her name is Erchelle.... I was on my way out to a special function and my shoe busted, she quickly ran in the back and brought out some glue to help mend my shoe..she went above and beyond the call out duty in this situation. Thanks a million to that agent, also want to thank the following agents: Cherylyn , Avril and Jamal , they really help made our stay most memorable

I know I have many choices when picking a hotel, but the Courtyard feels more like a home away from a home , very convenience a 2 mins walk to all the restaurants , shopping and entertainment area, easy to catch a taxi to downtown port of Spain ,

Room Tip: Sea view side was more relaxing
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
GMCYPOS, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Port of Spain, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Marchan 2014,

Thank you on behalf of my team for recognising our Front Desk and their genuine spirit to serve. Erchelle went above and beyond in her service to you and will be recognised for her efforts.

We are happy that we were able to provide you a home away from home which is so important when you travel.

I hope to have the pleasure of meeting you in person sometime soon.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

This is a 'formulaic' styled hotel that makes business travellers like myself feel comfortable, and that's what it is, comfortable, do not expect to find local 'Trinni' life here but be assured even though the staff greet and meet you with corporate courtesy they are all 'Trinni' at heart and are more than happy to help you find the real Port of Spain if you choose to travel down that particular avenue....

I stayed (on and off for more than two months) the drinks & food are overpriced and the pool is all but unusable because all company conferences spill out on to the pool area at lunchtime and the shadow ( and onlookers ) from the massive office block overlooking the 'garden' is a bit 'off putting' but no one goes to POS on holiday (Tobago is the place) and if your budget (like mine)does not stretch to the nearby Hyatt , this is the hotel for you. Noisy at the front, quiet at the back , unless the emergency generator kicks in ! All of the staff are very friendly and most helpful and the Marriott brand should look on the people in this hotel as good ambassadors.

Room Tip: Overlooking the road and sports stadium can get very noisy, rear facing rooms are quieter but have a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank KTMEXC450
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Warmly greeted by front desk staff every time I walked through the front door. Room was clean and comfortable. Self parking was convenient and secure. Conference provided lunch in hotel restaurant and the fish was excellent.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank J W
GMCYPOS, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Port of Spain, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

J W,

We are pleased that not only were you appreciative of the warmth of our Front Desk team but that your meal met your needs.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of serving you again when your travels bring you back to Port of Spain.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

My family of four stayed one night at this hotel in January 2014 we had a room with a jacuzzi and sofa bed we also got a roll away bed......the staff was very friendly and willing to help, the kids enjoyed the pool so they had a blast especially with the jacuzzi in the room....the only thing breakfast was not buffet so you had to chose off a menu and you only had limited choices with one choice of drink so no refills on the coffee or tea..that is the only downside of this hotel...but I will recommend you stay here!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
GMCYPOS, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Port of Spain, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Samantha R,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us.

We are pleased that the pool was enjoyed by the kids and that you will recommend our hotel to others.

Our restaurant offers an a la carte breakfast that offers fast and fresh food and allows our guests access to all items that will typically be found on a buffet.

We look forward to having you stay with us, your home away from home.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Good location; right next to Movie Towne, a movie theater / food court mall. Although it's right in front of a major sports stadium, I didn't hear any noise coming from it. Although the stadium lights were on, I'm not sure if there were any games.
Rooms are comfortable and clean. Complete with a small desk and comfortable chair to work. Good cold / hot water pressure. Decent free WiFi. The only problem is thin walls; you can hear what's going on in the rooms next yours: people talking, the TV on, phones ringing, people enjoying themselves... ;)
Although not gourmet, food was pretty good. No room service though; you can call for the food you want, but they won't bring it to your room; you have to go downstairs to collect it and take it back to your room.
Reception desk and cafeteria staff were very friendly and helpful.
Gym is rather small. It has 2 treadmills, 2 elliptical trainers 1 stationary bicycle and some weights; but has good amenities: water machine, towels, towelettes and free earphones, in case you forgot yours.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
GMCYPOS, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Port of Spain, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Eldisciplicente,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your stay at our hotel.

We are happy that our location proved to be convenient for you and our complimentary internet met your needs.

We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again when your travels bring you to Port of Spain.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

First off...the marriott staff is friendly and definitely gave my family and I a warm welcome upon arrival. I think our receptionist was Adanna...so sweet! The amenities were great-especially the nice powerful shower! There is small pool, which is great if you want to take a dip or hang out during the hot day. However, I most liked the poolside at night because the yard is transformed into this beautiful twinkle light show.

Movietowne, this gigantic mall is right next door and one has access to tons of great restaurants, shopping and a movie theatre.

My MOST favorite thing was the Marriott breakfast--TO DIE FOR! My family and I opted for the, I think, Island breakfast or something of that nature...cod fish, eggs, bakes and plantain..no words can express how delicious this meal was and put me in the best mood for the rest of the day.

Nygeva

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Genielle S

Genielle S,

Thank you for taking the time to recognise our Front Desk Agent Adanna, this will be shared with her as well as her peers.

We are happy that the ambience of our Terrace area was able to exceed your expectations.

We hope that we will see you back sometime soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port of Spain
D' Coconut Cove Holiday Beach Resort
Cara Suites
Cara Suites
#1 of 1 in Claxton Bay

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Port of Spain? Share your experiences!