“Great place to stay”

Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Brooklyn, New York
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

My Husband, toddler and myself stayed here most recently for 5 days. The premises are clean, the room is a good size and the staff is very friendly. The food at the hotel is great the lobby area is nice and inviting for travelers as well as locals. We reseved a crib when we made the reservations and it was in the room when we arrived.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
GMCYPOS, General Manager at Courtyard Port of Spain, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Rinette J.

We are happy that we were able to facilitate a great stay for you and your family. Thank you for recognising the friendliness of our staff, they are committed to providing you with a home away from home.

Hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon and spend time with your toddler.

Regards,
Nicol Khelawan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Trinidad
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed for one night with my spouse and 3 young children to celebrate a birthday. Check-in was smooth and in a matter of minutes we were on our way to MovieTowne to catch a movie (a casual 3-4 minute stroll). Drinks and dinner at the hotel was a pleasant relaxing experience and the hotel staff even surprised us with a special birthday treat which we really appreciated. The rooms are probably the cleanest I've ever stayed in and although they faced a busy highway, traffic noises were not a problem. When we discovered that the TV in one of the rooms was not working, the front desk sent up a technician right away and in less than 3 minutes the problem was rectified.
Breakfast was a welcome departure from the usual buffet offerings and the "made-to-order" menu offered a variety of choices which arrived piping hot in a timely manner. The pool is on the small side and is rather shallow (with the deepest end being just over 5 ft deep) but with 3 young children this was ideal for our needs (it also meant that the water was nice and warm even early in the morning). The best part was the warm, professional and friendly staff who were always willing to assist with anything.
I've stayed here before and will definitely do so again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TriniTraveller5
San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I asked for a change in rooms due to the noise in the front and the reply was "Perfect, we only need to change keys!" right away. The food is great, and the rooms are spacious and clean.

I also had my internet checked and was greeted by a friendly note saying it had been revised and was working properly. Great work from the local team!

Room Tip: Ask for the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Isislabella
Trinidad
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

When I booked I asked for extra towels, pillows etc. I got everything I asked for. Was able to check-in a bit earlier. They asked for id of each Guest and then each Guest has to sign a form, so check-in was about 10mins.
Got a room with a balcony, with pool view. The view is nothing much and also faces a big building.
Movietown is next to this hotel and convenient for food etc.
There is parking available but before 4pm it was almost full but later that evening a lot of parking spaces available.
The staff was friendly and willing to assist. I noticed that when they are handing over anything to you at the front desk they come out from behind the desk and then hand it to you. As I got into the room, a few minutes later I got a call from person at front desk asking if everything was fine and if I required anything. It was a pleasant start.
The shampoo, towels etc are the same as in other Marriott Hotels I have been to. The water pressure is good. There is a coffee maker and a small fridge and safe. I could not find the remote for the ac though but wasn't an issue.
Breakfast is about $60TT and dinner $150TT
It was a good stay and I will recommend it. Bit on the expensive side as a local staying there though. Was almost $1500TT/night. I should have asked if they offered a TnT citizen rate :)

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Poisonarrowz
GMCYPOS, General Manager at Courtyard Port of Spain, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Poisonarrowz,

Thank you for taking time to share on your experience at our property.

We appreciate your commentson your interactions with our Front Desk team and I will be sure to share with our team.

We look forward to having you back with us in the near future.

Regards,
Nicol Khelawan
Palm Bay, Florida
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I live in Florida and travel weekly all over the USA for my job. I always stay at Courtyard by Marriott when I travel. I recently went to Port Of Spain, Trinidad to visit old friends and stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott in Port Of Spain. To my surprise, this was the cleanest, most friendly, comfortable room of any Courtyard that I have ever stayed at. The local breakfast of codfish and coconut bake is a must have, I repeat, must have. I will be making this an annual trip from now on.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony facing the stadium.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Gary H,

We appreciate your feedback and loyalty to our proprety and by extension the Marriott brand, this will certainly be shared with our staff.

It was our pleasure to provide you with a clean and comfortable room in a friendly environment.

We look forward to having you back with us soon.
Arima, Arima, Trinidad and Tobago
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I attended a function hosted by TSTT on Friday 20th September, 2013 and would like to make mention of my experience at the Bar.

The young ladies that worked at the bar that night must be commended for their professionalism, in that, it was one of those night where the bar was flooded with individuals and, these ladies served each individual in the shortest possible time, ensuring that no customer waited lengthy periods and would also ask if everything was "ok".

I am extremely impressed with the level of Customer Service that was portrayed that night and, being from a customer service background, I am quite aware what this means to me, as a customer and your organization.

I took the liberty of taking these young ladies' names as I see it fitting to mention them for their efforts in dealing with the compliment of people at the bar that night.

Their names are as follows:

Shenice Paul
Beena Maraj
Melissa Maraj
Dhalia Huggins.

Keep up the good work.

It was truly a pleasure.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank BrendanGeorge
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2013

A classic Courtyard experience - very well organised, clean and friendly, equipped with the new-style brightly coloured multi-functional lobby with bar, breakfast and restaurant. The location is great if you need to be in Port of Spain as it is just off the major Churchill-Roosevelt Highway and very close to downtown and the famous Ariapita Avenue which is full of restaurants. I would not personally recommend walking between the hotel and Ariapita. The hotel has a transportation stand which is very useful for arranging taxis in the evening and the fare was about TT$150 each way.

The hotel is on a separate property adjacent to a very busy MovieTown complex of restaurants and shops within two-three minutes walk. That provided a decent breakfast and another dinner alternative to us. The room was very quiet and we enjoyed good sleep for the three nights we were here.

If you are going to Trinidad, there are three world-class activities for tourists: the turtle nesting at Grande Riviere, the roosting of Scarlet Ibis at the Caroni Swamp and the birdwatching balcony at the Asa-Wright bird sanctuary. Each of them was absolutely incredible and very highly recommended, really not to be missed, if you are on the island.

Room Tip: Ask for a room well away from the elevators.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple