“Quick recovery to a wonderful stay at the Courtyard by Marriott”

Courtyard Port of Spain
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Toronto, Canada
“Quick recovery to a wonderful stay at the Courtyard by Marriott”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My family (4persons) made our first vist to Trinidad on July 4th 2013. We arrived at the Courtyard Marriott around 12.00noon after a 5.5 hour flight from Toronto and were greeted politely and reminded of the check in time. However the front desk staff was able to accomodate us with a room by 1.30pm.
On the first night of our stay the guests in the room beside us had a very loud argument which lasted from 11.30pm until 2.15am. The next morning I spoke to the Manager Dinelle Rivers and vented my concerns about staying there for another 8 nights not knowing what to expect. Well the manager certainly listened carefully and showed facial expressions of her concern to my issue and offered her regrets and apology and promised to do something about my concern. Within fifteen mins of speaking to the manager I received a phone call offering us a room on the 4th floor which we accepted. The second night we slept well and every night of our stay. Don't let one ugly guest turn you away from an excellent hotel. The Courtyard Marriott staff made a quick recovery to what could have been an unhappy visit to a quality hotel with great location.
The hotel was very clean, lots of TV screens to check on your sports teams, business and world news. Breakfast was very good enjoyed the bacon, pan cakes and eggs. My wife tried the local breakfast of salt fish and bake also herring. We felt safe at this hotel. The staff was professional, smiling, and showed that they cared about making us feel welcomed and comfortable. Early 2014 we will be going back to Trinidad and WE WILL STAY AT THE COURTYARD BY MARRIOTT AGAIN.

Room Tip: 403 or 405
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bertie798

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Franklin, Kentucky
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I traveled to Port of Spain to conduct a workshop on hospitality education and was housed at the Marriott Courtyard. From the moment that I stepped into the hotel the services and attention to detail was excellent, ALL staff was polite and professional and very helpful with any need that I might have had. At at the restaurant several times (breakfast and dinner) and the service and meals were excellent and service quickly (and they were busy). Atmosphere was relaxing and appearance was clean. Room was comfortable.

Room Tip: Request room on back side of hotel so that the traffic will not bother your rest (very busy highway...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DrMarc9491
St. John's, Antigua
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We spent a Sunday here working on our presentation to the Society for Severe & Inherited Blood Disorders (Trinidad & Tobago) Ltd. as the power company was doing scheduled maintenance in the area where we lived.

They offer open booths that seat about 5 with your own personal television with cableTV. Each booth also has two power plugs for charging laptops and cell phones. They also offer free wifi internet access and printing services.

We also had lunch there which was very good. The staff was attentive and very helpful.

All round, a great place to get some work done and have a great meal while you're at it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

After a lovely welcome at the airport and speedy journey into town, our burning desire to get to the cricket match yesterday was thoroughly drenched by the staff at The Marriott Courtyard Hotel. Sadly the reviews said it was a good hotel and, as no better alternative was available, we checked in for 4 days to go tot he cricket. BIG mistake. The staff here are firmly of the opinion that only their voices, their rules and spouting endless policy matters. All of them were women, of course, and the Manageress was the worst. All we wanted was a quick shower and change and to get to the West Indies v India cricket match. So simple. But made impossible. We won't be Back

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Sarah B
GMCYPOS, General Manager at Courtyard Port of Spain, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Sarah B,

Thank you for taking time to provide your feedback, we regret that you had to wait for your room upon arrival at 11:35am.

For future stays with us we would recommend advising us that you will be arriving early (check in time is 3:00pm) so that we can try our best to facilitate your request.
Bridgetown, Barbados
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Our recent stay at the Courtyard started out with a simple email requesting information, which ended up as the best stay that I have experienced in a long time! Gina, (one of the people that I communicated with) was simply amazing in getting the information for us and seeing it right through to the end, thank you so much! You made a complicated group booking a simple task.

Everyone in this hotel was so friendly and courteous from the housekeepers to the management. Nothing was too small for them to look after. I would definitely go back to this property and would recommend to any of my friends and family. Good job guys, keep it up! Paul.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GMCYPOS, General Manager at Courtyard Port of Spain, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to recognise the service received from Gina, she will definitely be recognised for her excellent service, that exemplifies the standard that Marriott is known worldwide for.

I do look forward to meeting you someday.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I thought by looking at the map that this location would be on the beach. It's not, and you cannot walk to the beach. Next door is a movie theatre and lots of shops (expensive compared to the States, even with the 6.41 to $1 exchange rate, a wide variety of places to eat, a couple of bars (that have GREAT happy hours), and a casino that is super clean and nice. This is the saving factor if you don't have a car. Now for the hotel. It's very clean, the food is good and the service? My goodness. I've stayed at alot of hotels and at least 5 Marriott brands in the the past 6 months and have had great customer service, but this hotel just goes the extra mile. Every staff member, no matter what you need, exceeds your expectations. From the security guards, whom I spent time chatting with waiting for my husband to get off work, to all the front desk people, who helped me coordinate my day trips out running around in a foreign country, driving on the wrong side of the car and the wrong side of the street, to the bartender, who learned to make a white russian for me (this was our first night and I feel horrible that we thought the 15% VAT charge (the whole country has) and the 10% service charge covered her tip, SO sorry about that because she was awesome!), the chauffeur that I should have used, the cleaning lady who read the map in the hall with me for 15 minutes as I tried to make up my mind where I wanted to venture out to that day. And the best part is, every single one of them were genuine. It wasn't forced, they really make you feel like you're part of the family and the hotel is your home while you're there. So yes, we will return in a few months, and we will stay with them again. Period.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel overlooks the pool and a parking lot and another business. I think I'd pr...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank CulinaryExplorer50
ChefCookieD,

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We know how difficult it is to be away from home and we are happy to have provided you with a home away from home.

Thank you for recognising the service you received throughout your stay, I appreciate that it would have taken some effort on your part to provide your feedback but I will make sure that it is shared with all associates and the ones who were singled out (including Melissa at the bar who made your White Russian) will receive special recognition.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in a few months.

texas
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We recently visited Port of Spain for a wedding. We had 27 rooms booked for wedding guests and I cannot say enough about the level of individualized service we received. The front desk staff could not have been more accommodating, friendly and helpful. For instance, I called down the first morning I was there to ask for my dad's room number and they could tell me that he was downstairs having breakfast and asked if I would like to speak to him. The rooms are spacious and clean. There are ample hangers in the closet and a safe for valuables. The housekeeping staff are super friendly and left us additional towels and topped up toiletries daily. The transportation desk was wonderful at arranging transport to and from the wedding venue and the airport. The rooms were reasonably priced and included breakfast which we ordered off a menu ... no buffet with egg substitute here. The restaurant was open till 11 pm which was ideal for our late arrival. The meals from the restaurant were reasonably priced and the food excellent. The gym is well equipped, the pool area has lots of lounge furniture, there is a great business center as well as meeting rooms. The hotel is within close walking distance of a mall with cinemas and additional restaurants, including Texas de Brazil where we ate dinner one night (another fab review). We experienced a power outage while there and the hotel generators kicked in seamlessly for the duration. This is my hotel of choice in Port of Spain.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Patooks,

We are pleased that your wedding group enjoyed their stay with us. Thank you for providing your feedback on the attentiveness of our Front Desk team.

I will be sure to pass on this feedback to our associates. We do look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port of Spain
#14 of 21 in Port of Spain
Acajou Hotel
Acajou Hotel
#1 of 2 in Grande Riviere

Been to Courtyard Port of Spain? Share your experiences!