“Birthday Celebrations!!...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aioli

Aioli
Ranked #3 of 157 Restaurants in Port of Spain
Cuisines: Italian, European
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Helmed by Executive Chef Johnny Aboud, Aioli offers a Mediterranean inspired-menu for lunch, tapas and dinner in a beautiful, inviting setting. Chef Aboud trained at the Ecole Gregoire Ferrandi in Paris, the Lincoln Culinary Institute and the Florida Culinary Institute. With his team, he strives to bring out the best in carefully chosen ingredients, turning the cacophony into a wonderful symphony of flavor. We invite you to come taste the daring efforts of this young chef as he makes his mark in Trinidad & Tobago!
“Birthday Celebrations!!...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

The first time I entertained the idea to try Aioli was for my birthday... May 25, 2013. The experience didn't disappoint. Incredible choices, reasonable prices for gourmet food... Fine dining is affordable. The service gives other restaurants in similar capacity a good run for the money! Staff members are delightful and every dish to perfection! Thank you management and staff for adding to my glorious birthday... Chef hats off!..

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

I had a fantastic meal with friends celebrating a birthday on the deck at Aioli. The deck is like having a private room and our laughter did not have to be restrained. The food and service were wonderful, and they were happy to do 'off menu' food to cater for vegetarians. My only disappointment was not being able to find the bottle of wine written about by a previous reviewer - the most expensive I could find was $800 :(. I guess all the $1200 bottles had gone. I even checked their Facebook page

1 Thank TheSweetLifeTT
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“5-Star restaurant in Port of Spain, Trinidad”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

I heard much about Aioli from my friends who live in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago so I was very excited to get in on the buzz when I visited in August 2013. I was pleasantly surprised by the ambience and décor which could be described as upscale and trendy. The hospitality and service was exceptional - thanks to a well trained staff. The food was exciting and not the normal "run off the mill kind of food" with many new entrees from the Chef. One could distinctly taste the flavours of Europe, Spain, Itaty and France in the cuisine. I also had the good fortune of meeting Chef John Aboud and for sure his affability was the magnetizing force behind the great taste that makes this restaurant really unique.

• Visited August 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Watch out for the wine trap!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

I was really excited to try this restaurant, as the menu promised to be top-notch. The first time I went, I was with a group of girlfriends. We asked for a bottle of wine, and instead of providing us with a wine-list as is customary, the server recommended a nice red. The description sounded nice, so we ordered a bottle - and then another, and another, and so on. When the bill came at the end of the night, jaws hit the floor as we realized they must have recommended the most expensive wine in their beautiful cellar. It distracted from the food - which was very well-presented and delicious, and appropriately priced.
The second time I went with a friend, the exact same thing happened. He asked for a bottle of red, the server recommended a lovely sounding wine, we ordered it. And a second bottle later on. Our meals were just alright (not as good as the first time, and I ordered the same thing - sea bass), but our starters were delicious (spinach salad for me, scallops for my friend). Our total food bill was about $500TTD at most, so you can imagine the shock when the bill came for $3000TTD. That means the wine they so "kindly" recommended without giving us a list to choose from, was $1200 a bottle!
The decor is lovely - you get sucked into the beautiful ambience and the escape from the ordinary. The food is pretty good. But the way they handled the wine, recommending expensive wine instead of offering you a wine list to review, is downright disgusting. The fact that it happened both times I went implies that it is standard behaviour there, which I find completely unethical. As a result, I will not be going back and I will advise anyone who is thinking about going there not to...or to at least ensure you ask for a wine list.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Shelleymc79
Aiolitt1, General Manager at Aioli, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Since we opened our doors in May this year we have been extremely heartened by the response to Aioli. Unfortunately ShellyMc79 did not experience our best and for this we apologize. The standard of service at Aioli is that all guests are offered a wine list and a cocktail menu. In light of this diner’s experience we have reinforced for our service team; that should a table’s wine choice run out, the menu is again offered to the guest in addition to the wait staff recommending another listing. We have been in contact with ShellyMc79 and thank her both for bringing this to management’s attention and for giving us the opportunity to make it up to her.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gastronomic experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Let us begin with the overall ambiance & decor of Aioli....extremely modern and stylish with soft lighting that makes you believe that you have just stepped out of our beloved Trinidad....the hosts and staff are extremely courteous and warm and are certainly very attentive to your needs...now to the crux of the matter...the food....one word...EXQUISITE! As someone who only eats vegetarian dishes or seafood, there is no shortage of options, which is a delight to me as the chef has not sacrificed quality, presentation or taste in his offerings in this category....and now to dessert ...my only complaint is which one should I order? All options are amazing and mouthwatering. I would absolutely recommend Aioli and it has become my "go to" restaurant in Trinidad

1 Thank Akleema A