“Terrible!”
Review of Le Sportel Inn

Le Sportel Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port of Spain
Le Sportel Inn
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Even though there is good customer service the rooms desperately needs to be upgraded. The room was very small and outdated fixtures and fittings. Definitely not worth its value and won't be staying here again or recommending it to others.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank chanel4713

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel during the Carnival period and my room was a double occupancy located on the second floor.I paid $720.00 TTD per night and that price in my opinion was way too high for the ammenities and service offered. At the end of my stay all I could say was "This hotel is in dire need of improvement!" I have listed the pros and cons of my stay:

Pros:
(1) The room was clean and neat upon my arrival. Housekeeping was done everyday.

(2) The receptionist was very pleasant and helpful upon check-in.

Cons:

(1) Room- firstly, there is a bright white light shining morning, noon and night in the cooridoors. If you are a light sleeper like myself, this place would not be for you. The curtains in the room are too short to keep out the light. Secondly, the room only offers a television, towels, ac and hot/cold water. The remote for the television barely worked. I had to stand on a chair to manually adjust the stations and the volume. The water pressure in the pipe was also very low. There was problems with the regulation of the temperature of the water- it was either too hot or too cold. Thirdly,there was no refrigerator, microwave, iron or even a hairdryer for usage. The receptionist did not even mention a room on the first floor that offered service to guests who wished to use a microwave or refrigerator. My friend and I bounced up on it by chance. Fourthly, housekeeping comes to the room between the hours of 9 and 12noon, there should be a do not disturb card for guests who wish to sleep in late and do not WISH to be disturbed. Additionally, the walls of the room are too thin- I could hear all the conversations going on in other guests' rooms as well as on the cooridoors. Persons were speaking so loudly at 3am in the morning and being a huge inconvenience.

(2) Breakfast- you had to sign at the front desk to get a voucher for breakfast. Breakfast was to be served from 7-10am. It was never served before 7:30am. The menu is limited and you can only pick two sides/ bake. The servers were unmannerly, rude, discourteous and lacked customer service. They show discrimination to locals. That needs to be attended to immediately!

The best part for me was checkout. This hotel has the ability to be a beautiful relaxation spot but it needs a serious upgrade. Everyone's experience will be different. I do not recommend staying here for a long period of time, but I do recommend it if you are doing a layover for a few hours. It is one of the cheapest hotels around the airport area. I will not be staying here again in the near future.

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank Bagogal24
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Towels appeared, and smelled, to have been used previously.
Soap in packets was so old it broke when it hit the floor
There was a welcome package in the unflushed toilet when I came in - thankfully of the liquid and not solid type.
The curtains were very thin and could not keep out the fluorescent light that came through BOTH windows (fluorescents ont he main concourse AND the back verandah area)
This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in!!!!!!!!

The ONE saving grace was that there was free wi-fi

Room Tip: I would like to say rooms above ground floor, because I stayed in room 105, would afford a better sl...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Natasha J
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I don't think they really care if that place sink of float. I had to constantly keep calling down for them to turn water on to my room. Before I got there they gave me the impression that the hotel was upgraded, it wasn't to say the least. I have stayed there many times in the past, but will not do so again in the foreseeable future. That place has gone down really bad. On my second day I called the front desk for a couple of drinking glass and was told that they don't have any in a very cold manner. The day I left I was so happy to get home so I could have a decent shower. Visit at your own risk. T&t is vey nice place to visit, and there are many nice places to stay. Please visit but find other hotels to stay at.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Raphrich
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I have stayed at the hotel for two weeks it was not as expected. first there was no iron in my room i had to use the laundry room to iron the pillows needs changing and the television i had to turn it on manually. i think the next time i come to trinidad that hotel should be up to standard

Room Tip: rooms are okay any room should do
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Vanessa N
Reviewed August 1, 2011

The layout of the hotel was pretty good, the room was basic and outdated, but decent. The service was horrible. Plus the fact that there was no running water in my room for the entire stay. I had to constantly call down for water to be sent to the room. That personally made my stay there very unpleasant.

I contacted management after my stay (because the front desk did nothing to solve the problem) and they were quite pleasant to deal with and offered me a refund for my stay, which I took.

I'm not saying that it's a horrible hotel because from other comments from friends it seems that there are some renovated rooms and I guess service all depends on who you meet there.

My advice is to be aware.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Ok, before my recent trip to Trinidad, i spent days upon days on trip advisor reading these reviews, and i must say that Le Sportel wasn't adequately reviewed, at least in recent times. It was indeed a breath of fresh air to stay at this place, especially considering the notorious HORRIBLE TRINI customer service experienced everywhere else - Trini's are known to not enjoy or take pride in serving. NOT THE CASE AT LE SPORTEL.

The entire hotel was spotless clean and staff very nice and genuine. It was modern enough for me to feel comfortable, especially for the price paid. The room was spacious and spotless. Extremely comfortable. Everything worked and made our stay in Trinidad that much more comfortable.

It is also very convenient, near the Priority Bus Route, near the Trincity Mall and near the Airport. The entire complex that the hotel is located on is very nice and had a modern feel as well. If you feel adventurous, you can venture into Tunapuna, which we did and had a BLAST at the market and interacting with locals.

ONLY PROBLEM I HAD HERE, and i will include it as not to be impartial, we tried the pool one night, feeling a bit in the mood for a swim. We encountered one of the rudest and unprofessional pool custodians ever. An older lady. Time constraints the next day was the reason that i didn't have a formal sit down with her manager, her statement was THAT inappropriate, especially to PAYING GUESTS. BUT I MUST ALSO SAY, that the pool is in the Centrer of Excellence Complex and available for public use at a fee, and not LE SPORTEL's own private pool, so i cannot degrade Le Sportel because of the unprofessional Trinis elsewhere - if you get my drift.

Basically put, great place, wonderful HOTEL staff, pleasant rooms and an excellent price. I will not stay anywhere else in Trinidad ... ever other than Le Sportel, and I've done all of the major ones in Port of Spain. In the future though, I will just definitely stay away from the pool....

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple