“Very tasty food”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very tasty food”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Waited a while to get served, which was bad, but from the moment the food arrived that all went away. The food is verrry great and very reasonable. I will most definitely return. The decor could be a little more comfortable but other than that a very good restaurant. One of my faves/

• Visited October 2011

Trinidad
“Great food, great ambiance!”
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We visited this restaurant after hearing many positive reviews from our colleagues. And we weren't disappointed.
We arrived almost a half hour later than our reservation due to traffic on Ariapita ave but this was not made a problem. Definitely make reservations, while we were waiting to be seated, the phone was ringing off the hook for last minute bookings which were all turned down.
We sat out on the deck which was cool and comfortable. Inside looked modern but was full.
Service was top notch.
Apple martinis were a hit!
The menu is very extensive, and the portions fed 5 of us comfortably, with doggy bags. This place is very affordable, cheaper than most fine dining chinese restaurants.
The food is refreshing, a good change from the typical chinese option. It's spicy, guess it's best described as chinese with an indian influence.
This place is perfect for an after work lime, family dinner, or even a romantic dinner.

• Visited October 2011
Trinidad, West Indies
“More of a bar ....”
Reviewed October 15, 2011

I've been passing this Taylor st. everytime I'm going to Movietowne but I hardly noticed this resto. When I get to hear about the place from a friend and went there with some other friends....I found my answer! Simply because the resto looks like an old spanish house which is quite common in Trinidad and Tobago plus the small signage outside. By the gate, we're welcomed by 2 security staff wearing all black. Inside the small restaurant, it is dimly lit and the wall designs were Thai inspired. Food taste is on the average with small servings and a bit heavy on the pocket. Inner portion of the resto is their bar,which looks even darker to me.

• Visited December 2010
Trinidad
“Wonderful decor and ambience, drop in food quality, so-so service”
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I have been to Hakka twice before for dine in service and once for takeout. They claim to serve Hakka Chinese influenced and Indian influenced food. Being Hakka Chinese myself I was curious to see how well they lived up to the claim. The first time was when they had just opened and while I loved the decor and the ambiance, and the food was tasty, the service was extremely poor. The manager apologized and I decided to take my husband and kids and give them a a second try. Things went much better that time, I went yesterday with a friend. The deck and come into its own. They built the deck with wood and the walkway has inlaid squares of grass for a zen feeling. The interior hasn't changed. We went for lunch. Our server was very lackadaisical and seemed to not really want to serve us. She walked away in the middle of taking our order and took a long time to come back. We were in a corner of the restaurant that didn't get much air-conditioning or maybe their ac couldn't keepmight be f up with the heat outside. In any case I was sweating all the way through lunch. The manager did offer to have us move to a different table but we were almost through eating by then. We ordered Chicken Pakora for appetizer, Chili Garlic fried rice, Szechuan chili Fish, Devil's Chicken and Stir-fried vegetables. The pakora came with a chutney that was lacking flavor.The food was supposed to be spice and while it might have been for my 2 kids, neither of whom even like black pepper, it was disappointingly not spicy hot. The food was ok but definitely not as tasty as I remembered. Our server didn't remember to refill my water glass and only did so when asked, and then she left the pitcher on the table by mistake, or was it so that she didn't have to refill for me again. The other server for the room was significantly friendlier and better at her job. She filled in for our server when she looked over and saw we needed help. In fact, I wish she had served us. Because of her I would consider going back since I know they are not completely without good servers.

• Visited September 2011
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Don't waste your time and money. Disappointing and unprofessional.”
Reviewed September 16, 2011

My friend and I both enjoy eating out regularly and especially trying out new restaurants. On our first visit, we sat there waiting and waiting for service. After complaining about 30 minutes after we were seated, a server finally came to us. Then we had to wait over 40 minutes to be served. It spoiled the whole evening, needless to say. We spoke to several head persons and that did not help - as we were told it was busy.
Ok, we decided to give it one more try at a very very quiet time one Saturday, early afternoon. The experience was the same. And to be honest the food is not memorable. So we decided to cross this restaurant off our list. That is their loss as we eat out at least twice a week at good restaurants.

• Visited November 2010