“Wonderful decor and ambience, drop in food quality, so-so service”

Hakka Restaurant and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Hakka Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 178 Restaurants in Port of Spain
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I have been to Hakka twice before for dine in service and once for takeout. They claim to serve Hakka Chinese influenced and Indian influenced food. Being Hakka Chinese myself I was curious to see how well they lived up to the claim. The first time was when they had just opened and while I loved the decor and the ambiance, and the food was tasty, the service was extremely poor. The manager apologized and I decided to take my husband and kids and give them a a second try. Things went much better that time, I went yesterday with a friend. The deck and come into its own. They built the deck with wood and the walkway has inlaid squares of grass for a zen feeling. The interior hasn't changed. We went for lunch. Our server was very lackadaisical and seemed to not really want to serve us. She walked away in the middle of taking our order and took a long time to come back. We were in a corner of the restaurant that didn't get much air-conditioning or maybe their ac couldn't keepmight be f up with the heat outside. In any case I was sweating all the way through lunch. The manager did offer to have us move to a different table but we were almost through eating by then. We ordered Chicken Pakora for appetizer, Chili Garlic fried rice, Szechuan chili Fish, Devil's Chicken and Stir-fried vegetables. The pakora came with a chutney that was lacking flavor.The food was supposed to be spice and while it might have been for my 2 kids, neither of whom even like black pepper, it was disappointingly not spicy hot. The food was ok but definitely not as tasty as I remembered. Our server didn't remember to refill my water glass and only did so when asked, and then she left the pitcher on the table by mistake, or was it so that she didn't have to refill for me again. The other server for the room was significantly friendlier and better at her job. She filled in for our server when she looked over and saw we needed help. In fact, I wish she had served us. Because of her I would consider going back since I know they are not completely without good servers.

Reviewed September 16, 2011

My friend and I both enjoy eating out regularly and especially trying out new restaurants. On our first visit, we sat there waiting and waiting for service. After complaining about 30 minutes after we were seated, a server finally came to us. Then we had to wait over 40 minutes to be served. It spoiled the whole evening, needless to say. We spoke to several head persons and that did not help - as we were told it was busy.
Ok, we decided to give it one more try at a very very quiet time one Saturday, early afternoon. The experience was the same. And to be honest the food is not memorable. So we decided to cross this restaurant off our list. That is their loss as we eat out at least twice a week at good restaurants.

Reviewed September 10, 2011

Sme things on the menu came out looking really nice, but my food just tasted of oil and black pepper.

Reviewed August 21, 2011

My wife is part Hakka Chinese, so when she happened to mention she like Hakka Chinese food, our driver Omar took us to the local Hakka place. It may be considered fine dining by Trini standards, but the prices are very reasonable. The decor is awesome, service is superb, and the food is among the best chinese food we have ever had. Reservations are a good idea, and ask for Francis, the executive chef. Will not disappoint!

Reviewed June 29, 2011

This restaurant is original for the Caribbean as it is a fusion of Asian quisine The service is friendly with a great ambience You need to book as it is always busy but without the very high prices as in the competitor restaurants in the area.

2  Thank mikdeb