“Ask for a renovated room!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre

Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
rwsmith1153
“Ask for a renovated room!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2009

I stayed at this location 1 year ago and the rooms were old and dirty. At the time the hotel was under renovation. I reluctlantly returned and was plesantly suprised. I recceived a renovated room which was first class all the way. My room had a large plasma TV, large shower, and very comfortable bed. This hotel is located right across from the Savannah and perfect for Carnival.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GemmaBDuncan, Manager at Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre, responded to this review, June 9, 2009
Thank you for the very positive comments regarding the Hotels' newly renovated room. Just wanted to share with you that all 240 rooms that are currently in our inventory are renovated rooms. Only rooms available now are newly renovated. We look forward to welcoming many more loyal guests as well as first timers to experience the rooms.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
portsmouth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2009

Half the hotel is still undertgoing renovation but this doesn't impact the already refurbished half. The pool area is cordoned off to shield guests from view of refurbishment.

Food and drinks are stupidly expensive e.g. approx $18+10%+15%US for burger and fries in bar. Evening buffet was $49 incl of extras but quality was poor on the one night we ate in. Take a cab into Ariapita Avenue where there is a great choice of food and bars at reasonable prices and it is reasonably safe. Cab cost $10US each way but worth it as walking the Savannah is NOT recommended at night.

Whilst sitting around the pool side we were surprised to see a rat run past in broad daylight. Our colleague had reported this a month previously during their visit. I gave the staff a rollicking suggesting they call in vermin control. Hopefully they took notice. On a positive note my room was very good and internally the hotel was clean. The buffet breakfasts were better value although it did bother me that fish such as smoked salmon was on a servery with no chilling. Views from the newly renamed Obama terrace were excellent. If prices were reasonable and pool side de-infested I would recommend this hotel because of its location.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TrinidadHiltonAlkhan, Manager at Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre, responded to this review, May 24, 2009
Dear Recent Visitor Nets123:

Greetings from The land of Carnival and Sunshine

We sincerely thank you for your feedback and value all your comments. Hotel's main wing 250 rooms, four Presidential suites and five executive suites are now renovated.
we are glad that you enjoyed the spectacular view from our terrace and enjoyed the well appointed newly renovated rooms. These rooms are all designed with extensive use of local teak woodand local art.

As a matter of fact President Obama and Secretary of State Mrs Hillary Clinton and entire presidential entourage were our guests during the summit of America.

Renovation of North wing separated from the main wing through a scenic walkaway will be finished by November 15th this year.

Rest assured that since your last visit we have reviewed our prices for some of the items ,as we do this periodically .

Since all beef is imported certified US Angus Choice Beef and some of these imported items have heavy freight and custom duties ,hence you may find them slightly more expensive.than similar items in mainland.

Our new executive chef Carlos Gomes and his culinary team have redesigned menus to meet our health and price conscious guest's tastes and needs.

Hotel has a a very comprehensive pest control program and as pool is an open area next to the wooded tree area,and next to 100 years old Saman tree extending over the pool deck. you may see birds, humming birds or squirrels etc.

We look forward to your future visits. We trust that you have already enrolled into our hilton Honors program. Our honor program allows you to earn points and airline miles and no black out nights.
We thank you for this opportunity to host you .

Sincerely

Colombia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2009

I have been in Hilton Trinidad for almost 13 days, and it has been the most amazing hotel experience I have ever had. The hotel is perfectly located on a hill and the view is absolutely beautiful. You can oversee the whole city. The hotel is very unique because it is upside down, so the lobby is on top of all the rooms. All of the staff has been extremely helpful with everything that we needed at any time.
If you have the chance to be in this hotel, ask for Dana at the Front Office. She can make any request become possible!
The hotel is going through a renovation of the rooms and they are incredibly comfortable and beautiful. I forgot a few items at home, but the hotel's amenity were everything and more of what I needed.
In Trinidad, you must try the Roti. It is delicious! And about food, the breakfast was the best part of the day for me. They had everything that I was in a mood for. My colleagues also had a wonderful time during our working days. I hope everyone has a chance to see this hotel. Good luck to all travelers.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
buenos aires
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2009

We've just arrived from Hilton Trinidad & Conference Center in Trinidad, and I have to say, I LOVED this hotel!
- Rooms: Recently renovated. Even though this hotel has a history (and reputation) of 50 years, the rooms look like new! Beds were really comfortable, big showers, great mirrors (if you are a woman you'll appreciate it), working desk with Hi-speed internet connectivity, 3 telephones... and besides, I've sent laundry and was delivered promptly and the quality of the service was perfect.
- Location: It's located in a secluded area on a hill with a nice overview of the city and the savannah park. The hotel is called the "upside down" hotel, because the lobby is on top, and the elevator goes down to get to the rooms. The only problem is that the taxi ride to downtown can cost slightly more... for me it wasn't big deal since distances are not that big anyway. Port of Spain is a rather small city.
- Pool: Big, sunny, looks like a big fountain, with water falling from above. Loved it!
- Conference facilities: Looked good and professional from outside, didn't have the chance to try them since they were full with the US delegation for the Summit of the Americas. Actually, President Obama and Sec of State Hillary Clinton stayed on the Hilton Trinidad for the Summit!
- F&B: For the inconvenience of the remodelations (despite I had no inconveniences at all) we had free Hilton Breakfast during our stay. It was the best breakfast ever. Anyone who tried Hilton Breakfast will know what I'm talking about (smoked Salmon, cream cheese, vegetables, fruits, egg station, croissants and cakes, natural juices)...
We also went to the Carnival Bar, which was fun, with great music and good cocktails. Mostly businesspeople relaxing for a while after a long day of work. One night we tried the Buffet Dinner at the Pool Terrace. It was really good, worth the U$D 40 per person. You have a good selection of food, but it's not the place where you have tons of everything. Just a variety enough to mantain a good quality.
- People: Everybody went the extra mile to make us feel like at home. Everybody was really nice to us, and make a really good effort when we didn't understand their English (Trini English is very particular).
Summarizing.... I would definitely come back!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank ruthcua
TrinidadHiltonAlkhan, General Manager at Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre, responded to this review, April 23, 2009
Dear Recent Traveller:

Greetings from the land of Carnival , Tassa and Chutney:

We thank you for your very positive feed back and critique. .

We will most certainly meet with our local taxi driver's association to find out how best we can arrange a shuttle to night entertaining area. We thank you for recognising our team members and their can do attitude.

We look forward to your future visits. We trust that you already have enrolled into our Hilton HHonors Program. Our customers loyalty program allows you to earn points and airline miles and no blackout nights.

This cement the loyalty of the Hilton Family's
best customer.

We thank you .

Midwest, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2009

I have always stayed at Hilton when I travel. Well went to Hilton Trinidad and the Executive rooms did not allow us access to the Executive lounge. They also offered me free breakfast which they did not honor when I was there.
I paid 200 bucks a night and I felt I was not an executive. The food is very expensive at this Hotel. Please lower your prices of the food and stop overcharging. Allow access to the executive lounges and have more nightlife at your bar. Also the Taxis will overcharge you if you stay at the hotel. Hilton please tell your taxis to charge better rates. If I walk a 1/2 block away I will get a different price to go to Aripita Ave.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Food prices are high and everything is more expensive because they know we are tourists.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
TrinidadHiltonAlkhan, GM at Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre, responded to this review, January 13, 2009
Dear Caribe traveller

Greetings from Sunny Trinidad

We sincerely thank you for your feed back and honor your loyalty to our Brand.
We are sorry that on your recent visit to our hotel ,you were unable to access our executive Lounge.
Currently our hotel is going through an extensive upgrade and renovationt to meet and exceed your expectations. hence you were unable to use our executive lounge facility.

A bigger and better lounge and new restaurants and bars are also going through renovation .

After renovation a new bar as well a market place restaurant will be serving a wide array and style of cuisine at different Price Points.

Taxi fares are established by tourist board and cooperative managed by a separate entity ,and we will be communicating your concerns to them. .

We hope that this visit does not mar your impression of our brand and we hope to continue to earn your business.
Once again our sincere thanks for visiting our shores.

NYC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2008

My husband and I are currently staying at the Trinidad Hilton and will be leaving on 1/4/09. We have been visiting nearby sights (the zoo and botanical Gardens) and planned on relaxing by the pool today. However, due to an "outside" party being held at the pool for New Year's Eve, all hotel guests are off limits for the entire day (the party isn't until late this evening) and we cannot get a straight answer as to whether of not the pool is available tomorrow. Since we do not drive while here, this has been a major inconvenience and tells us a little something about how importnant (not) their guests are.
However, all those folks who work here have been more than pleasant and will go out of their way to try and make one's stay as comfortable as possible

Stayed December 2008
TrinidadHiltonAlkhan, Ali Khan GM at Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre, responded to this review, January 9, 2009
Dear Guest from Brooklyn;NYC

Happy New Year and Greetings from the land of Carnival & Cricket

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for visiting our hotel and celebrating your new year with us.
We are also grateful that you appreciated the services of our team members and commended them for 'going the extra mile". We will share your your experience with all our staff.

I do apologise for the inconvenience on the early pool closure due to a New Year's Eve Gala.

Should you visit our shores again in future ,you will notice that this Iconic property will have renovated pool and public places to enjoy. We thank you for your loyalty and business.

Ali
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2008

I like this hotel, we've stayed there quite a few times and it definitely has a certain something. However, in recent years the rooms have become very tired looking (that's being kind) and it is in desperate need of attention. Hopefully the current (ongoing, delayed) renovations will sort out the many problems.

What worries me greatly though is that during our last stay we were in one of the "renovated" executive rooms and, though at first glance it looked ok, on closer inspection the workmanship was shockingly poor. The shower had no hot water (unless you lowered the shower head to 2 feet off the floor), it also leaked all over the bathroom floor because the door was not sealed properly and the step sloped away from the shower. Cupboards not fitted straight, cheap looking bathroom furniture, painting which looked like the guy who did it was drunk, really shoddy stuff.

The pool area is absolutely horrible - it desperately needs a complete overhaul. We couldn't get any drinks there either because all of the staff had been evacuated apparently due to a gas leak (though none of the guests had been informed!!!) Looking at the local papers the following day this was apparently a ploy by the hotel management to stop a protest by part time workers. Which perhaps says something about the general state of affairs.

This is all a great shame because the staff are generally very pleasant and helpful, trying to make the best of a bad situation.

Special mention must go to the food - the local dishes are definitely worth trying at breakfast or lunch and room service does a pretty mean Trini curry with roti. The Hilton burger here is also consistently the best burger I've ever had :)

I'll give them one more chance after the refurb is done before I bail and stay elsewhere - the competition in the Port of Spain hotel market is hotting up with a number of major new hotels either recently or soon to be built. Hilton definitely need to up their game.

Oh, one more thing - no wifi in the executive rooms is a pain as well, you have to trundle along to the lobby since the executive lounge is closed too.

• Liked — Good food, staff try their best
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank GloryRoad
TrinidadHiltonAlkhan, GM at Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre, responded to this review, January 9, 2009
Dear Glory Road From London
Greetings from your favourite hotel in Port Of Spain

We sincerely thank you for your positive comments about quality of our local food and
our signature Hilton Burger. We also are appreciative of your comments about pleasant and helpful attitude of our team members and their can do service focus.

We assure you that by April this year you will see our newly renovated rooms, suites ,main entrance and La Boucan and Carnival Bar.

Our bigger and better executive lounge is being designed as well. Pool area is currently under renovation and a new kitchen is planned for this area to serve our loyal guests by June 2009.

I assure you that should your visit brings you after the Summit of America, you will experience a newer yet the very warm feel our repeat customers have become used to.

I look forward to your next visit.

Travelers are raving about these Port of Spain hotels

The Carlton Savannah
The Carlton Savannah
#13 of 21 in Port of Spain
Cara Suites - Pointe a Pierre

Been to Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!