“Tired hotel with nice staff”

Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I attended the Caribbean Animal Welfare Conference here. Despite our request for a room with a view, we were assigned a room in the oldest part of the hotel looking straight out at a dusty pathway coming up from town. The refrigerator did not work, the shower had a leak, and you needed a miner's helmet to read at night. All of that was tolerable, and the staff addressed our complaints quickly (though they could do nothing about the terrible lighting and the broken shower door that caused water to cascade onto the bathroom floor). Food and service at the conference was excellent. What was problematic were restaurant meals. They did away with any menu and served a buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner. Way too much food and way too expensive ($52 US) with no way to get only a cup of coffee, a bowl of fresh fruit or cereal. Try the restaurant next to the pool: the same nice staff and you can order off a menu with limited offerings.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, but don't be surprised if you are told there are none which is paten...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
DBD-HTrinidad, Director of Sales at Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear Caribbeana:

Thank you for sharing your review with us!

We appreciate your comments and suggestions as they will allow us to improve our service and facilities. We are sorry to know that we did not meet your expectations. Thank you for your compliments on our service.

We look forward to having the opportunity to offer a better experience on your next visit!

Reviewed April 20, 2013

My stay was in early April 2013, I have stayed in the hotel before but I believe the rooms have been updated!! Very nice rooms and I had late room service two times which was quick and very friendly service attendants. I left my phone charger at my work site and front desk MS. Natalie was so helpful and “Super Courteous” lending me hers!!! What a wonderful young lady with great personality!! She will do “anything” in her power to make your stay more enjoyable and productive. I had the luxury of access to executive lounge for free drinks, food nightly. This is a major plus if you can have access also as the drinks are premium and food is “first rate” (frequent traveler for this hotel brand)!!!!

I recommend this hotel, yes!

Dear DrummondNyc:

We thank you for the review of our hotel on tripadvisor!

We are glad to know that we exceeded your expectations and you had a great stay with us!

Thank you for your complpiments to Natalie. We shared them with her and our team so we continue offering the great service to all our clients!

We look forward for your next visit to Trinidad!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Excellent central location with easy access to transport. Enjoyed the service and pleasantness of staff. Guest room was very comfortable with good amenities. Wi - fi is not free. Would stay again and would recommend to others.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

I never thought I would be right now review about this hotel since I stay here so often but here you go..I want to inform all diamond members of this hotel policy when it comes to upgrades they do not honor the upgrades like other hotel facilities.I made a reservation for a studio suite the next room above was a one bedroom suite so when it's available based on your diamond membership you get upgraded to the one bedroom suite I was denied the one bedroom suite because I was already in a suite the hotel told me that I have to pay for it in order to get it..when I checked in the hotel told me the room was not available no more sweets. available I go online and I see the room available I called Hilton Honors and they told me the room was availablewith many more suites available..this hotel knees to get educated on Hilton policies including this staff management especially the supervisor.I stay at Hilton properties worldwide 100 nights a year and this is the only hotel I've ever had a problem with when it comes to an upgrade based on availability when the room is free.my next issue is I wanted to play tennis on the hotel property I ax does the hotel on the tennis court I was told yes they told me I had to pay a fee about 10 to 15 dollars US ...and if I wanted to play tennis when it becomes dark I have to pay another fee for tokens to pay for the lights to come on...so you in the Caribbean where the weather is warm and you most likely want to play tennis during the evening time when the Sun Goes Down so this hotel want to insult for paying to play at night..I have never played tennis here before so the day I decide to play I find this is a really big deal...Sohotel does on the tennis facility it is not run by a third-party of 4th party if it was then I have no problem paying a fee to use the facilities because like other hotel properties when is a third party like the gym etc cetera you pay..anyone who's reading this knows that majority of Hilton Hotels that owns a tennis courts does not charge you to pay or to pay for lights to come on in the dark this knees action immediately because most diamond members don't know anything about it I am informing all members about this immediately...to the hotel please find five hotel in the Caribbean that charges to play tennis and charges them to put a token and the lights can come on to play in the evening and dark time..

• Stayed: March 2013
DBD-HTrinidad, Director of Sales at Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Dear jonny2914:

Thank you for your comments and feedback on your stay. Thank you for your positive ratings on the quality of our rooms, cleanliness and service. Kindly contact us for further details on the areas reported.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I arrived early from NYC and was assisted at the front desk by Natalie. I am extremely sensitive to mold which is a problem in warmer climates, especially with carpets and air conditioning (a deadly combination). Natalie showed me three rooms and let me choose which I would like. Actually they were all good, but I ended up on the newer block with the best view. She had the patience of a saint. She remained cheerful and polite and went out of her way to be accomodating. The hotel may not be as new and glamorous at the Hyatt (I have stayed there too) but the customer service at check in was simply spectacular & I will definitely comeback here again on my next trip.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the recently refurbished block. The floors are "upside down". The lower f...

Dear KKat_NYC:

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on tripadvisor!

Thank you also for your comments and feedback especially for the great customer service from Natalie. We have shared those with her and our team so we continue doing the good work striving for excellence every day.

We look forward to continue being your preferred choice when you visit Trinidad!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

poor image upgrade needed in terms of staff.Get rid of some of the old persons they are drab.more inter personal treatment needs to be given to guest in the dining room.Menu needs to be upgraded .It is to predictable.make the place more lively.Its like a morgue dead.Bring this place back up to a real international place.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Bramanand R

Dear Bramanan R

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor!

Thank you also for your feedback and observations; these have been discussed by our management team for necessary actions.

We are sorry to learn that we did not meet your expectations. We hope to have a second chance to offer a more enjoyable experience!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hilton with my wife for a weekend getaway last December, didn't quite know what to expect but I soon discovered that it's the ideal cozy spot for a quick weekend getaway if you don't have the option of a full vacation.

I must admit the hotel is a bit odd since I dont go to an "upside down" hotel everyday (The reception/lobby area is actually above the rooms) despite this little quirk the hotel is actually nice.

The location is nice, sort of in the city but still nestled in a lovely spot for a fantastic view of Port-of- Spain, it's not far from the botanical gardens and the zoo if you fancy a stroll, its also approximately 4-5 minutes via taxi to down town Port of Spain.

The food was very good, breakfast is open buffet style with continental and local assortments, for lunch there is also a wide selection to choose from if you like to dine in or there is also the option of having a couple items prepared for you at the bar by the pool side (wings, fries, burgers etc) while you enjoy the sun with your choice of cold drinks. We also enjoyed an afternoon tea at the poolside. Dinner was my favourite since there was live entertainment by a local parang band and our meals were well prepared.

Our room was on the fourth floor which provided an overhead view of the tennis court, pool and savannah, the only fault in this regard is that there was no mini refridgerator or coffee maker in our room but we we able to get coffee from the lobby area.

All in all the weekend rate was affordable, good food, nice ambience, courteous staff and convienent location, topped off with an "upside down" experience. I would recommend this hotel for a quick and cozy weekend getaway for fun and relaxation.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travelboy15

Dear Travelboy 15:

Thank you for the review of our property on tripadvisor!

We are glad you enjoyed our services and facilities. We know you have choices and we thank you for being selected as your preferred one for your weekend getaway.

We hope to host you again next time you stay in Port of Spain!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port of Spain
Kapok Hotel
#6 of 21 in Port of Spain
D' Coconut Cove Holiday Beach Resort
Holiday Inn Express Trincity Trinidad Airport

Been to Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!