“Weekend break”

Hilton Trinidad & Conference Centre
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I had a birthday party to go to in Trinidad, so I booked for myself and my sister and my 9 month old nephew to stay here. We arrived at around 7pm on Saturday evening and checked in to a rather unwelcoming receptionist - not what i am used to for the Hilton chain. We were allocated a room on the 9th floor and told where to go. Firstly we got in the lift which clearly has marked to swipe your room card to activate the lift, we did this several times in different directions but the lift did not move. Then we tried to open the doors and it wouldn't so between warmth and panic with a baby this was the start of our problems. Eventually the doors opened briefly - just enough to get out before it closed on the stroller as I was trying to push the baby out. A young staff member -Elizabeth Rivas came to our rescue and took us to another lift and told us to use those, which we did. By now we were hot and flustered. On the 9th floor we followed the signs to our room and got to the end of the floor which did not run to our room number. Eventually we saw a small sign in useless colours - and i wish i had taken a picture now - which showed that we needed to go through another corridor to get to our room. Not impressed! So by now it has taken us around 15 minutes to get to our room! On entering the room we find there are NO amenities! No teabags, coffee, spoons, water, glasses, kettle - NOTHING! Oh apologies there was a Lavazza coffee machine with 2 Lavazza polysterene cups but not even the Lavazza coffee amenities!
I had asked reception to provide 2 pairs of slippers and 2 bathrobes, bearing in mind it had already taken us close to 15 minutes to get to the room they still had not arrived. Somewhat irritated now and with a baby to feed with no kettle i called to housekeeping and requested these things - Some 20 minutes later I still had not received anything, so i called downstairs to front desk and spoke to reception and told him of my annoyance - to which he apologised and said he would contact Housekeeping, as he said this the robes and slippers arrived. It took approximately a further 10 minutes before the other amenities arrived in order to settle my nephew with his bottle etc and I had to call down again to say this is completely unacceptable. Worse still I am a Hilton Honours member and have never experienced this kind of service before! He offered us by way of compensation breakfast, however the issue here is not that we wanted breakfast - but that the room was not prepared ready for our arrival and should never have been allocated to us in the first place. We were facing the road side, because apparently all rooms with 2 beds in them are on the roadside. Surely arriving with an infant a room would have been prepared adequately and further why have rooms with 2 beds on the roadsie so if my nephew was a little older and he wanted to go out onto the balcony - the view would be the roadside??!! Crazy! To compound matters I am due back there for a week in February, and i am dreading it! I sincerely hope they get their act together before then!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JulesMiddlesexUK
DBD-HTrinidad, Director of Sales at Hilton Trinidad & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear guest from Middlesex UK:

We are sorry to know that we did not offer the expected level of service and the overall stay was less than satisfactory.

Provididng excellent customer service is our main focus. We appreciate comments and observations in the areas reported as they help us to identify and improve our services and facilities to offer better experiences to our clients. Please contact me directly at somalia.amaya@hilton.com to have your room type and view preference as part of your reservation requests for your next stay with us.

We look forward to having another opportunity to offer an enjoyable experience next time you visit us.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

It has been my pleasure since 2010 to be a guest on many occasions at this property. Generally, all my interactions with the staff have been memorable as on each visit I am welcomed by persons who are hospitable,and pleasant. These persons include Anthony Bell, Dana Ramcharan (at the front desk) and Donna (one of the servers in the dining area) - all are very polite and always willing to offer assistance to make my stay an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Latoya W:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on tripadvisor.

We are glad to know we met and exceeded service expectations on each of your stays. We will definitely share with our team and especially with Anthony, Dana and Donna your positive comments as they help to maintain the motivation and service passion.

We look forward to continue being your preferred option next time you visit Trinidad!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I once went to a seminar at this place. The food tasted good, but low and behold while chewing I felt something unusual in my mouth. When I took it out, you would never believe that I found a tom tack in my food. Luckily I was chewing slowly. I was shocked. What is a tom tack doing in your kitchen. The head chef apologised but an apology would not have been sufficient, if I had damaged my tooth or swallowed it. What a shame. I would have second thoughts when eating at this hotel.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
DBD-HTrinidad, Director of Sales at Hilton Trinidad & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear Khalifam:

We are sorry to learn that your experience during this seminar last November was less than satisfactory. We can assure you that all standard procedures are in place to guarantee and offer the high service levels we strive for.

Thank you for sharing your experience; we appreciate you brought your experience to our attention so we have the opportunity to improve our services. We would appreciate if you can contact me directly ( somalia.amaya@hilton.com ) to have further details as unfortunately no reports on that date are available.

Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Since I travel for a living customer service means a lot. Most of my colleagueas have wrote good reviews about this hotel so, I want to point out experience I had here in the restaurant. I was greeted by a wonderful lady name maurica who I most say is good at what she do. Maurica then sat me down and told me my waiter would be with me. Well to my my surprise the waiter never came. 15 min had went bye and no help. I was lost of words cause I kept seeing all these employees past and know1 stop to ask do I need help. As I was about to leave a lady was passing bye with a coffee pot and some , other disher in her hands asked did I need help. I was upset at this point but was surpise she stop to ask me for help. I told her I was waiting for my waiter and was about to leave. She stop what she was doing to take my order. The funny thing is she not my waiter, but I forgot all what just happen cause some1 went out there way to help me. I don't know if it was the way I look or was my culture or how I was dress I was just not help but that was not right.. I must say that I did get great professinal service from the waiter. She really made me forget all what had went down and changemy mind of leaving to. So I ask daniell for the bill. She told me she will find the waiter for the table cause they have the bill. The waiter came with the bill to my surprise she past me 5times...waw...so I paid with my card and was going to leave danielle a nice us cash tips. But the lady thought it was hers...lol. anyway cause of the professinal sevice I got from danielle o'brie I have told all my cowork about her. So management staff please make sure that ms danielle o'brie is is available to us in the morning. We put her name a pic up with many other hard working employees frm other hotel around the world on our web site. This tell our colleague workers like ms o'brie will go the extra mile for a customer and wuld as for them when they come back. As a gold member of hilton Ms o'brie most have been with hilton a long tme. She has been well trained. My company will send a letter to hilton corporate headquaters to let them know the great staff they have like ms o'brie and maurica is doing. Thanks again maurica for going out yur way to get that pepper sause to take for me and my coworkers. It was greatly appreciated. Big tip..hilton has the best hotel in Trinidad. No1 come close. Not even marriott or hyatt or crownplaza just t name a few..if yu want to tase real Trinidad pepper sauce hilton is the way to go.. pic of the workers soon to come

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear jonny2914:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are happy to know that you are satisfied with our services and facilities and especially with services from Danielle and Mauricia. We will gladly share your positive comments with them; we are sure they will continue offering the same great service with the same passion offering the extra mile. Thanks to your detailed report we have also met with restaurant supervisors to ensure the standard procedures are followed so we guarantee an excellent service without delays at all times.

We look forward to your continued preference for your future visits to our hotel and our Pool Terrace Garden Restaurant.

Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Visited this hotel after spending some time at the Hyatt regency. This hotel could definitely give Hyatt some competition. The service was very good, rooms were clean and comfortable and the view from the balcony on the top floor was scenic. The staff was very polite and always ready to serve. Would definitely return!!

• Stayed: September 2012
DBD-HTrinidad, Director of Sales at Hilton Trinidad & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Dear Travelbee811:

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we are glad that we exceeded your expectations and you enjoyed our services, the comfort of our rooms, cleanliness, our spectacular view and most important the service of our team. We will definitely share your compliments with all of them!

We look forward to having you back next time you visit Trinidad!

Reviewed September 28, 2012

My stays are usually short as I live in this beautiful twin isle. However, this hotel is in the vicinity of some major interests such as the Queen's Hall, Queen's Park Savannah, NAPA etc.

Rooms: Clean, Well laid out, accommodating.

Service: Friendly, Hospitable

Pool: Nice size swimming pool, however this hotel appears to attract alot of families so if you are interested in "exercising" I suggest you do so early as the kiddies take it over. There is a smaller swimming pool for children but it's shallow and only suitable for kids 4 and under.

Food: The menu (A la carte) needs revamping (it's the same for lunch and dinner). But the little they do have on the menu is fine. There is usually a buffet option which is a bit pricey for some but it's enjoyable.

Fitness Club: I will review this when next I go.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Savannah gives you the best view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Raquel B
DBD-HTrinidad, Director of Sales at Hilton Trinidad & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Dear Raquel B:

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us.

We are truly glad to know that all expectations were met and you enjoyed our services and facilities: our location, quality of our rooms, our friendly service and pool area. Your comments on our restaurant menu have been shared with our Food and Beverage team for consideration.

We look forward to have you back with us and enjoy our new fitness center and all other services!!

Reviewed September 23, 2012

my family and i spent one night here recently for mee it was the third time i stayed here i must admit i was pleasantly surprised .the rooms the service has vastly improved .the breakfast though is incredible and in our view affordable.didnt go to the bar all in all it was incredible we all enjoyed it and certainly will be back .

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
DBD-HTrinidad, Director of Sales at Hilton Trinidad & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Kaiso10:

Thank you very much for sharing your review on tripadvisor.

We know you have several options and we are glad to be selected as the preferred choice for your stay. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed our rooms and all services, especially our buffet breakfast.

We really hope to see you back here again sometime in the near future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port of Spain
Kapok Hotel
#6 of 21 in Port of Spain
Holiday Inn Express Trincity Trinidad Airport
D' Coconut Cove Holiday Beach Resort

Been to Hilton Trinidad & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!