“Exceeded my expectations! ”
Review of Kapok Hotel

Kapok Hotel
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
“Exceeded my expectations! ”
Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

As the title of this review states... This hotel exceeded my expectations. The lobby is modern, clean and open. When we went up to the second floor, the atmosphere changed. The hallway was drab and looked old. At that moment, I started to reconsider the hotel choice. However, when I got into my room, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the room was in good condition. It was neat and simple with a good view. I now realize that they are trying to renovate the hotel and the hallways are next. My family and I like the people and area so much, we extended our stay two extra nights!
P.S. the hotel is close to the Zoo and Botanical gardens!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Anthony G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Finnish first
Tortola, British Virgin Islands
Reviewed August 14, 2014

I will start off by saying that the Kapok Hotel was not my first choice of hotel when I knew that I would be visiting Trinidad for a wedding. I wanted to stay at the Hyatt. But, this hotel was the hotel of choice of the bride for her overseas guests and it was conveniently located close to where the ceremony was to be held. The overall experience was not all bad but I doubt that I would stay there on future visits to Trinidad. In terms of the positives. I liked the location. Close to the Savannah, walking distance from the zoo, the lovely botanical gardens and from one or two shopping centers like Ellerslie Plaza. We did have a car for our visit but we also walked some as there was a lot to see and do within walking distance of the hotel. The hotel staff were genuinely nice. I would single our Joel at the front desk. We found him to be very helpful and accommodating. While the staff were nice, them lacked basic knowledge to me. Things you would expect them to know. For example, I was asking for recommendations for restaurants to have a nice dinner on a Saturday night. No one seemed to know. Or where I might be able to rent a car on a Sunday for delivery to the hotel. Clueless. There is no concierge to speak of so you are on your own in that respect. As to the not so good aspects of the stay, firstly, the hotel has been around for some time and even though it appears to have been spruced up, it is still old. The rooms tell of this. The first room we were assigned to was facing a set of houses in the back of the hotel and it was small (although clean looking). We asked to see another room and were shown a couple of options more looking out to the front of the hotel. Better-ish. The biggest issue I had was the floor air con unit. It was ancient! And loud! And only blows air straight out. It is not possible to adjust the vents. So the extra bed they put out for our 3 year old daughter, she could not sleep on it as they positioned it right next to the air con unit and there was no where else to put it. We were also unable to adjust the temp on the unit so the room was either too hot or too cold. The bathroom was small and had very little counter space. They store the clean towels right on the counter next to the sink. Why not install a rack in the shower or shelves under the sink panel to free up the already limited space on the counters? Also the water coming from the shower was brown on numerous occasions. We also had a problem getting our room cleaned. The housekeeper showed up on the first morning, a Sunday morning, at 8:30 in the morning. We left the room mid morning and came back much later in the day to meet a still unmade up room. Same thing happened the following day. Food wise, generally very good. We had room service a few times during our stay. Delivery was prompt and the food was tasty. Overall a very average stay. I was expecting more given the generally positive reviewed on Tripadvisor but sadly, it did not live up to expectations.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Valerie G
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Stayed for two nights. Check-in was good - friendly, professional and courteous. Everything else - room, restaurant, overall service was "meh". I especially didn't appreciate the hostile service from the waitress in the restaurant. Check-out was bad (e.g, was double charged and had to spend hours with credit card company trying to fix the mess, and wasn't even thanked for staying). Will be booking the Hyatt next time I am in Port of Spain.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the second floor at the front of the hotel - was awakened each morning at 5am by...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank RossyB
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed at the Kapok hotel while we vacationed in Trinidad and the experience was amazing. The staff was so friendly and professional. The room, gym, and pool area were clean. The food at the Kava restaurant was absolutely delicious and the service was prompt. I recommend anyone to visit the Kapok hotel and I will definitely be staying at Kapok when I travel back to Trinidad.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Neisha B
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 13, 2014

My stay here was wonderful, excellent customer service and delicious food on the 8th floor, beautiful views, and yummy pizza from room service. The pool was also lovely (small but nice). Very modern, great location.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Nicolette R
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Great location. Friendly staff. The restaurant at the top of the hotel is one of the finest I have ever been to in terms of great quality of food and drinks.the bedroom is nice comfortable bed clean toilet. Comes with a mini fridge that you can purchase drinks and store there.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge
Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

Very helpful staff, bar and restaurant were hugely welcoming and the owner is both warm and keen to have feedback.

Everyone from the room cleaners to reception and serving staff were unfailingly polite, cheerful and engaging. Nothing was too much trouble.

A marvellous two week business stay - I would return without hesitation.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business