“Great Location and Good Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kapok Hotel

Kapok Hotel
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
San Diego, California, USA
“Great Location and Good Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

We came here for two nights before going on in Trinidad. This hotel was recommended as a locally owned boutique hotel which we like. The rooms were reasonably spacious and our room had a refrigerator and coffee maker and excellent wifi (free--to boot). The service was friendly and excellent. They had no problem helping us with dinner reservations at other restaurants. In addition, it is on Savannah Park and right next to the zoo and botanical gardens. The pricing was pretty good and included a continental breakfast. All in all, it was an excellent value.

Stayed January 2014
3 Thank Virginia F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Finnish first
Prince Edward Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

We did not experience any problems with this hotel. Quite the opposite. The staff was very attentive, always had a smile and would personally greet you.

Heath from the KAVA lounge made you feel like a family member. The pizza and lamb burger were the best we ever had. The KAVA lounge has indoor and outdoor seating.

The breakfast buffet at the Tiki Village restaurant was very limited but good. Typical of a continental breakfast.

Our room was very nice with kitchenette, living space, balcony and a separate bedroom. It was clean and comfortable.

The Kapok Hotel has a well lit parking lot and is in a good location within walking distance to Queen's Park.

We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Jill and Jamie Trainor.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KeppochSunshine
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

I had problems with the shower shooting hot and cold water throughout the entire shower (changing temperatures) which made my friend and I sick. I would have thought that in a case like this, I would have been moved to another room but the front desk representatives did not seem concerned. The housekeeping staff was more concerned and even took the time to ask if the problem was resolved. It seemed that it was a hassle to help. I went through the entire trip and I did not feel like it was worth the price that I paid and could not get the customer service and maintenance to do what was needed. After speaking with the manager, I expected a discount for my dissatisfaction but I was not provided with such. I am not impressed by the hotel, this is coming from a person who has stayed at the hotel before and had no trouble, who was a Kapok fan until my last trip.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank simwbwlp2013
Trinidad
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

It is a relatively good price for a location in Port of Spain. It was fine in terms of service and comfortable enough. The rooms were clean but bit small. It was unfortunate that on the evening that we arrived there was an issue with a mini flood; we arrived at 5:30 and our room still ws not ready. Nevertheless the staff was courteous enough.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the main road.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kingston, Jamaica
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Okay,last week I checked into the KAPOK HOTEL in Trinidad, my first time at this hotel. I had booked for a week. After being greeting by indifferent staff, who greeted me with "Good Evening , whats your name?"(No "welcome to Kapok Hotel").....I was given my key and sent on my way (rolling my own suitcase).

The corridor on my floor smelled of mold and the room, which was pretty basic and small, had an a/c unit which was so loud I had to turn it off !

The next morning, having realized that the only star in this hotel was me,....I decided to check out due to substandard service,and a crappy room... I mean really...for $180 US per night I shouldn't be carrying my backpack, laptop and suitcase BY MYSELF.

I asked my colleague to take me to the Carlton Savannah Hotel (where I usually stay, only 3 mins away), and was so relieved that they had a room available. Its a great hotel, FANTASTIC rooms , nice modern decor and very friendly staff (who remembered me and said "welcome back") ...and did I mention that's its a bit cheaper.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank nicksutherland
Wesley J, Manager at Kapok Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. I would like to personally apologize for the reception you received upon check in and your room experience.

We at Kapok Hotel continually try our very best to ensure all our guest feel welcomed and receive a high quality of service in well maintained rooms, but unfortunately this time, we fell short on this delivery. Please feel free to contact me at (868) 622- 5765 or wjackson@kapokhotel.com.

Best regards
Wesley Jackson
san fernando
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

Like this hotel very comfortable and quiet some upgrades could be made but very relaxing and great breakfast only thing is that it can go until about 11:30 as some guests don't always wake up too early. A bit pricy but you pay for what you get. Good hotel in general

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

After reading the reviews I was a bit skeptical so I decided to go in person and check it out. The intention was to stay for the independence weekend /birthday. Upon my arrival I met with Christopher and he agreed to show me a room as well as a tour of the facilities. He took me to the 7th floor-room 790 to be exact- and I fell in love. The room was modern with a soft king size bed and a great view of port of Spain and the sea. The bathroom was also very nice. I paid instantly.upon my return I was warmly greeted again by Christopher who assured that my stay was fine. The view of the fireworks for independence night wad like if we were in the savannah. Breakfast on Sunday was excellent. Buffet style. The only issue I had was the pool closes at 8:30pm.

Highly recommend this hotel and I would be returning

Room Tip: Dont rely on reviews. Make time to preview the room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple