“A big place with a small town feel”
Review of Kapok Hotel

Kapok Hotel
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Reviewed April 26, 2013

The Kapok Hotel has become my overall favorite in Trinidad due to the small town feel and personalized attention they provide. This hotel lies near the Savannah and has lots to offer in terms of relaxation, dining and refreshments.

It is definitely on my list of place to stay when in Trinidad.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed at Kapok Hotel for one night, on New Year's Eve 2012 on a package that included breakfast. Reached at the Hotel after 8:00 p.m. (check in time is at 2:00 p.m. and check out is at 12:00 noon.) and took a few minutes to check in. The lobby area was quiet and inviting. Wanted to have dinner and drinks at Kava (their lobby level eatery) but we took too long settling down in our room that by the time we went back down it was already closed for its employees to spend the break-off with their families, which was very understandable. So we decided to try Tiki Village Restaurant.

Again our timing was really off and they were going to close within the half hour, so we decided to have dinner elsewhere. But the menu items looked so good, I'm sure they would've been delicious.

We stayed in one of the Standard rooms that was just the right size and was so cozy and comfortable. The bathroom was clean, but not too spacious, but then again, as a couple, we didn't mind.

Breakfast was served at Tiki Village, which is very beautiful and spacious. The dining experience was made even more perfect with the expansive views of Port of Spain and of course, the wooden design of the restaurant itself. The staff was pleasant and inviting. Breakfast was of the Continental type. Cereals, oatmeal, different cheeses, cold cuts, different types of breads, pastries, and fresh fruits were available. I particularly liked the pakoras with the tamarind sauce, simply delicious.

Afterwards we took a walk down to the pool but didn't swim, as we just wanted to relax and take in the surroundings. The grounds around the pool is small but picturesque. The only downside to it all was the closeness of other residences on the hillside around the hotel, which we understood unavoidable, but it took away some of the privacy for us.

I must say that I need to go back to try out the meals from KAVA and Tiki Village, as they both have great reviews. All in all it was a very quiet and relaxing stay. And best of all, its close to nearly everything!

Room Tip: The higher the room, the better the views!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is the second time my girlfriend and I spent our Easter weekend at Kapok...as usual all the Hotels facilities are spotless and the staff friendly and helpful..
I think this place is Ideal if you are looking for a recharge or just want to go liming in Port of Spain..
For multiple days stay I would recommend the Suites, the balcony is small and more or less ordinary but the view and breeze is more than you could ask for..
The breakfast leaves much to be desired but nothing an Omelet Station couldn't fix..."Hint,Hint" Management!!!
KAVA has a great atmosphere but I think this place should be open on Sundays ....I could definitely see a full house for Sunday Pizza or Coffee and desert.

All in all I like this place and will definitely be back for the next long weekend

Room Tip: Suites offer a Balcony perfect for Relaxing or an intimate dinner
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rishi x
Reviewed March 27, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Arun J
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I liked this hotel because it was bery clean and organized. I went as part of a university course and had a roomate. The size was adequate, loved that they had a coffee maker in the room but I didn't mind going ypstairs for the continental breakfast. Nice variety of selected fruits, bagels, toast, cereals, juices and cold cuts. Don't get your hopes up on hot food. The shower in the room was spacious with very good water pressure. The beds are a little hard and a little small as well (my feet were dangling off at the end). Also loved how they have a in room safe that is really easy to use. The staff at the hotel were very nice and accomodating. We asked about the zoo and botanical gardens as me and my roomate were not really into shopping. They gave us some really helpful information so we decided to check it out. Not even a five minute walk and you were there. The hotel is centrally located with about a 25 minute drive from the airport. There is a small plaza about a 10 minute walk from the hotel with restaurants and trinket shops. I had a lovely time in Trinidad and Tobago and I would definately recommend this hotel.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Lindsey M
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My stay at Kapok Hotel was short and sweet. I was there for a conference for the weekend. Food was okay at Tikki Village. Staff was courteous. Rooms are pretty decent to.
On the first day my colleague and I went for a jog around the Queen's Park Savannah which is a two minute walk from the hotel. Just five minutes away is the Emperor Valley Zoo and Botanical Gardens. If you want to go into town you can get a local taxi right outside the hotel. Pretty much the ideal location. There is also a shopping plaza about a seven minute walk. Where there are a variety of shops for just about everything.
Not much negative things to say about this hotel really. :-)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Roxanne L
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We spend 3 days at this hotel for the Trinidad Carnival. The hotel is very dated but the furnishing were updated as compensation. The room size was normal and the amenities were hotel standard. The hotel offered free internet and parking. The speed on the internet was very good. The staff of the hotel were very friendly and helpful. I was impressed with the honesty of the staff, I forgot my valuables and cash in the safe box at checked-out. All my possessions were returned to me by the manager when I claimed them 3 hours later. The continental breakfast offered were above average and came with an adequate selection of fresh fruits. The location of the hotel is safe and within walking distance to the zoo and botanical garden. Lighting on the hotel grounds as average.

Room Tip: Take room facing the road and higher floor. It is more scenic
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
D' Coconut Cove Holiday Beach Resort
Cara Suites
Cara Suites
#1 of 1 in Claxton Bay

Been to Kapok Hotel? Share your experiences!