“Service needs improving” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Surrey
“Service needs improving”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

Spent 2 nights here recently (on holiday in Tobago). My sister and I picked this hotel because of its central position. When we arrived we were told they had no record of our booking-the agent in UK hadn't informed them. Eventually a phone call to the agent confirmed our booking. We had requested a room with twin beds on an upper floor.We asked if we could have a room at the back of the hotel as a loud band was playing just across the road (went on till very late) and the road itself was very noisy due to the increased carnival traffic. We were told that there was only one twin room left and it was on the 2nd floor as it was the start of the Carnival season and they were fully booked. We couldn't have given us a noiser room-workmen hammering etc in the neighbouring two rooms , the laundrette and ice maker was in a room opposite. We decided to upgrade to a superior room at the back but had to share a kingsize bed as they said they had no superior twin rooms( needless to say this cost us more !)This room was large and pleasant , on the 7th floor and had a balcony, and had a nice upgraded bathroom.
There is only a small noisy bar doing pizzas etc, the Kava, on the ground floor as the cocktail area/ bistro around the pool appears to be closed.
The Tiki restaurent covers the whole of the 8th floor and has amazing views of Port of Spain. We had breakfast there each day and dinner on our 1st night. The food was excellent. The service at dinner was good, but mediocre at breakfast.
Our main problem was the unwelcoming and unhelpful attitude of the reception desk re our room.Though they said the hotel was full because of Carnival time there appeared to be exceptionally few guests around.Their attitude would put me off returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: Superior room at back of hotel on a high floor
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Finnish first
Grand Anse
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

Only one bar was open on the ground floor - Kava - would have liked to have sat upstairs in the Tikki bar and not just for breakfast. Drinks were slightly overpriced and when my choice of wine was not in stock, they overcharged me for the alternate choice and I had to get them to reduce the bill by $20 TT. Went out for Dinner as the choice in the Hotel was limited to one pizza/pasta diner.
I would recommend a Trinidad Roti - the best I have tasted !!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Chaguanas, Caroni, Trinidad and Tobago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I spent a weekend at Kapok with my husband in April 2012, we are locals, so this was a convenient option. This review has been long overdue. Kapok is definitely one of Trinidad's best kept secrets. The rooms were neat, clean, and had a Caribbean flair to them. The food was great, I actually looked forward to breakfast. I didn't get to visit the pool, because it rained, but the room was comfortable enough to make me want to stay in. I will say however, that the bathrooms could have been upgraded to match the rooms. They were very basic and very sterile looking (reminded me of a hospital). Service in the restaurant was superb, service at reception was ok, not exceptional.

The management at Kapok should really consider initiating some sort of loyalty program or special rate for repeat visitors. The price is also really good. Very affordable.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

I stayed 2 nights at this hotel, after having stayed here before. I can't say a negative thing about this hotel. While it is true there are various newer properties in Port of Spain, the rooms are comfortable and nice looking, with modern bath room, coffee maker, flat screen TV's etcetera. The rooms are quiet. The complimentary breakfast is quite okay. My airline had cancelled my flight on the original day of my arrival. When I called the Kapok to notify them I would only be staying 2 nights instead of 3 they just pushed back my date of arrival and charged me nothing for the night I had missed. The people in general were very friendly, both front desk as in the breakfast area. I woudld defintely recommend this hotel if you are looking for a more affordable yet pleasant hotel in Trinidad.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

There are a few newly renovated and newly built hotels in Trinidad now . Kapok was a popular hotel in the 90's but has seen a drop of in bookings due to 4 and 5 star hotels like Carlton, court yard Marriott, and Hyatt . Maybe that is why the people at the front desk look so angry . Its was more like service with an attitude rather than service with a smile . I was given wrong information about the time breakfast service ends "apparently its different times on the weekend than during the week" and front desk seemed to have a little attitude after confronting her and telling her she gave me wrong information. Would not recommend this place to my worst enemy.

Room Tip: My tip is to get a room at Alicia's guest house just up the block where the rooms a very reasona...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I spent a night in this hotel and enjoyed every minute of it. The service is great and everyone is welcoming and inviting. The rooms are clean and comfortable. it is truly good value for money. The hotel's restaurant is also very good.

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank Kri5tie
Trinidad
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed during the easter vacation - 2 adults and 2 children. all we wanted was to get a break from the normal hassle. what I can't understand is why the staff feels if you are not white or foreign they can give you mediocre service and expect you would go back again. it might worth it for foreigners but not the locals since they treat you like crap. we have been doing local holidays for a while now and I must say KAPOK WAS THE WORST WHEN IT CAME TO SERVICE. I would rather stay at CASCADIA where service means a lot.

Room Tip: balcony all the way, all the others are a box
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
#13 of 21 in Port of Spain
Acajou Hotel
Acajou Hotel
#1 of 2 in Grande Riviere

Been to Kapok Hotel? Share your experiences!