“comfortable, good value”
Review of Kapok Hotel

Kapok Hotel
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Stayed at this hotel in May 2012, and it was a pleasant experience. Room was very clean, not as big as the hyatt though (but good enough size). The view was not as great as I expected but no complaints here (probably depends on which room you are in).The bed was very comfortable - I slept like a baby. Staff were courteous and helpful.

A major problem is the location because it is not within walkin distance of shopping centers, but several fast food places, supermarket, the park and zoo are not very far away. I rented a car when I stayed here so I had no problem with that. I think there is a bus stop next to the hotel but not absolutely sure (either way busses pass on the road infront the hotel).

I'm not sure about the restaurant, because I ate out.

Seems that they hotel is well maintained and overall I think it is good value for money. I would def recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank krazy_doctor

Reviewed May 7, 2012

We followed a course in this hotel and stayed several days. The staff was fantastic and the service excellent. It as an amazing out side restaurant with very nice food. The restaurant inside was on the top of the hotel with a beautiful view over Port of Spain.

The downside is that the hotel is not really on a walking distance from the centre however it is near the parc. The breakfast was kind of a basic continental breakfast.

Very good value for money, would absolutely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank adnila
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed here for the last night in T&T. The first nights of our trip we stayed at the Hyatt and had an unforgettable stay. However we decided to save some money the last night when we got back from Tobago. Had we known what we know now we would gladly have paid the little difference(just a couple hundred TT) and stayed another night at the Hyatt.

We got to the hotel and the check-in was quite fast when they eventually found our booking. We made a prepaid booking through hotels.com and showed them the print-out, but didn't believe us at first.

When we got to our floor, the highest floor with rooms, we noticed a really bad smell, almost like sewage! When we got into our room the sewage-like smell faded and was replaced by a rotten cloistered-type smell. We tried to open the window without any luck, but after turning on the so-called A/C it got a bit better(however the "A/C" did not make the temperature any better). The room was small and probably 1/4 the size of our standard room at the Hyatt.

It seemed like we had gotten new towels and the room didn't seem that dirty(but not that clean either). In the bathroom we hadn't received any soap, shampoo or other toiletries. My friend went downstairs to ask for some soap and the receptionist just said that they would bring it later. When he eventually came to our room he didn't apologize or anything. He just said quite annoyed(probably because he had to walk up to a "sewage-floor") here it is and went away. The room didn't have enough light and the light in the bathroom seemed like a public toilet were they didn't want any drug abusers to camp-out. We tried to have a shower, but it was quite nasty and we felt dirtier than we did before the shower.

Later that evening we wanted to check the bus schedule. My friend went down to the reception again and they told her that the bus route to the airport was so new that nobody knew the departure times. But in the Lonely Planet travel guide they listed a website for the bus company. So I brought the book and asked them to check the schedule on this site. This took them about 20 minutes! We then asked how to use the internet. One of the receptionists looked sort of bothered about the question and asked if we were going to use our phones. I said yes and after some time he managed to generate a password we could use. When I mentioned that the password didn't work for both our phones he got quite angry and upset and said that we should have told him that we both wanted to use the internet(this after we both had our smartphones on the receptiondesk when he asked if we were using them to access the internet).

After this experience with the rude receptionists we wanted to check out whether all the different floors had a bad smell. Most of the hallways on the different floors smelled quite bad, but surprisingly enough we managed to find a floor that smelled even worse than ours!

The only nice things about the breakfast was the coffee and the panoramic view of the city.

The receptionist that checked us out was really nice so hopefully we just got really unlucky, but I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. There is a lot of better places to stay in POS!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask to smell it first, and check if there is any soap!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank FKLS1
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I was peasantry surprised by this hotel. The room was a good size and had all the modwrn amenities. The bed was extremely comfortable. The bathrooms were basic but well maintained. The meals are ok, though not exceptional. You may find the air-con too noisy and the neighbor's dogs may keep you awake with their barking, but, overall, this is good hotel for a quick stay.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank A J
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I visited Trinidad on business and was booked into the Kapok Hotel, Port-of-Spain, for a six-week stay. It was comfortable and well-equipped, with two good restaurants and a new café which was under construction at the time. What really makes or mars a good hotel, though, is the attitude of the staff, and they were friendly and efficient, making me feel really at home. It is out of town but nicely situated next to the vast Queen's Park Savannah, and a short walk will take you to a supermarket. A pig-out at TGI Friday's, also within walking distance, is recommended if that floats your boat! There is a good taxi-rank on site, too. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who likes a straightforward, comfortable stay with staff who are extremely pleasant to deal with.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 2, 2012

they ripp ppl off
not worth the money
no good customer service
they dnt listen
they dnt care
crap food from restaurant
do not reccommend to stay

Room Tip: rooms are small noisey a/c you can find beta else where
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank drt6
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I stayed at the Kapok Hotel in early March, right after Carnival. The lobby is nicely decorated in an Indonesian (Java or Bali?) style and a café is being added. My room's king bed was very comfortable and the bathroom recently remodeled. However, the blow dryer's integrated nightlight is useless as the light switch turns off all power to the bathroom.

Although the room had double windows, street noise still filtered in at night. If you are a light sleeper, request a room facing away from the front of the hotel.

The breakfast offered was good, although no hot cooked items were included. There is a nice view from the restaurant on the top, and also a very inviting patio on the ground floor.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, request a room away from the street.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
D' Coconut Cove Holiday Beach Resort
Cara Suites
Cara Suites
#1 of 1 in Claxton Bay

Been to Kapok Hotel? Share your experiences!