“Superb”
Review of The Inn at 87

The Inn at 87
Ranked #4 of 43 Port of Spain B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We live on the island of Tobago and have to come to Trinidad 2-3 times per year. Over the years we have stayed at several guest houses in this category. The INN AT 87 is still our first choice. The location is is very convenient, the facilities are tastfully decorated, the room is comfortable and the staff are pleasant and accommodating. If you will be a guest, ask for Donna Standring the owner. She is a gracious hostess and a delight to visit with for a few minutes.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Forty Winks Inn and The Inn at 87 - two twins in Port-of-Spain

I came to Forty Winks Inn in Port-of-Spain from big and expensive airport hotel that I did not like at all. Difference between these two hotels were great. Big hotels are too steril, they have no spirit.

Forty Winks Inn was friendly and small. The staff was superior.The place was like living cultural monument. My room was small and good and clean. After two nights I have to leave the hotel, because rooms were fully booked. I was not happy, because I liked to stay there.

They guided me to their twin hotel, The Inn at 87. Only  two blocks way. It means that you go in to the house at address 87 Woodford Street. And this hotel was even better, if that is possible at all. Rooms  bigger and there was no such much cultur in the place. Rooms in very good connection and all the places clean.

The staff was so happy and wonderful. Donna-Maria is the soul of the hotel and she was so lovely, friendly, polite and she understood my glomsy jokes.

Breakfasts in both hotels were similar in basics. Good start to the day.

I would like to give five stars to Forty Winks and five stars plus extra sunshine to The Inn an 87.

I always remember my week in Port-of-Spain and my two twin hotels.

Room Tip: When you get good service, like I got in The Inn at 87, then your life is smiling and everybody in t...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Pauli V
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We recently stayed at the Inn@87 over Christmas and New Year's and I have to take a few minutes to commend the friendly customer service from the staff and owner, Donna Standring. This was an unexpected trip to my homeland, beautiful Trinidad and Tobago, and it was hectic, busy and very focused from start to finish. The staff made our visit easy and enjoyable and were always pleasant, going out of their way at times to help things go more smoothly for us and address our needs. There were several of us with different arrivals/departures but Wendy and Donna did their best to work with us around our changing plans.

Being a history buff, I was excited to learn that this lovely old home, renovated while keeping its architectural detail and some original, vintage touches was once home to one of our catholic Archbishops, then a printery, whose legacy was Mr. Valentine, a knowledgable, outgoing resident "jack of all trades" who helps take care of the property and guests.

The property is well maintained with local watercolours and paintings which perfectly complement the high ceilings, shiny wood tables, hardwood floors and tropical, colourful, air-conditioned ambience. Breakfast was delicious ranging from eggs, pancakes for the kids, cereal, bacon/ham, fresh fruits, coffee/tea, orange juice and toast to typical local breakfasts occasionally and on Christmas and New Year's Day. My huband, Drew, likes very strong coffee and he liked the Brazilian brand at the Inn so much we went out and bought some to bring home

Room sizes vary but are accessed from a hallway, all on one floor, nicely decorated, cleaned daily and all have an ensuite bathroom, with tv and free wireless internet throughout. You can read or just relax in the front room and coffee/tea/water are always available. There's a shady deck and small garden out front. Wonderful not to have to take our suitcases up stairs but Mr. Valentine was available to help with bringing them to our rooms, and the rest of the staff - Yosha, Tahiri, Lisa, Michael, Nicholas - were willing to help with whatever we needed.

Secure parking is available in the long driveway at the side of the Inn, you just have to leave your key at the front desk or be prepared to move your car if someone wants to get out. A very small price to pay vs. leaving your car parked on the street. And you leave your key at the desk when leaving; ring the bell when you return. Security was a non-issue.

The Inn is conveniently close to: restaurants, shopping malls, banks, and the Queen's Park Savannah for enjoying the outdoors - you can join the many locals walking, jogging, yumming up snow cones, coconut water, oysters from vendors; downtown Port-of-Spain for browsing, souvenir shopping, local eateries and just savouring a slice of local day-to-day of Trini life, something you'll find quite interesting. Trinis are up to date on style so you'll likely find whatever you're looking for, at great prices. USD is about 6 TT dollars to 1. Even for a native, it was an experience not to be missed. I managed to picked up some "emergency" sandals very reasonably, at Payless.

If you're going to Trinidad for what you're used to and a fast lifestyle, it's not for you. If you're willing to slow down and breathe, relax and merge with the Trini lifestyle everywhere including banks, stores, the post office, McDonald's, wherever; enjoy amazing architecture and decor (colonial, gingergbread, mid-century...), sunny, blue skies and the warmth of a country and its people, then it's for you. And for me, the Inn@87 fits right in to that experience. Drew and I would stay there again. It made our green Christmas away from home bearable and memorable. Thank you, Inn@87!

Room Tip: For a more spacious room, 1, 7 and 8 are good choices.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank VintageGypsies
Reviewed December 29, 2012

All of The Inn at 87 employees I encountered were as helpful, accommodating and service-oriented as any I would hope to encounter at a 5-star hotel. Really, these people should be commended for their hard work and excellent attitude. However, I cannot really recommend this place and if I had to do it all over again, I would stay somewhere else in Port of Spain. Two reasons: (1) there is no curfew or deadline to check in so on our the second night we were awoken at 1 o'clock in the morning by some very noisy guests who (apparently) had just checked in or were just coming in after a night out and (2) the rooms are significantly smaller than I thought they would be (judging from the photos I had seen online). Yes, the Newtown neighborhood is more interesting than other neighborhoods but if I ever find myself in POS again, I'll be staying at The Carlton Savannah. (Judging from the rate I just checked on Expedia, the rates would have only been $40 - $50 higher. It would have been well worth it to be a good night's sleep.)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at Inn At 87 and I thank them. The rooms are clean, staff are helpful and friendly, satisfactory breakfast, excellent location, safe environment and good value. A home away from home. I would recommend this boutique hotel to my friends when staying in Port-of-Spain, T&T.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Spent 6 nights at No 87 last week on business. For the price, welcome, cleanliness and location I will stay again and happy to recommend to anyone, even on vacation.
The room was fine, with v comfy bed and crisp white sheets every day. Free broadband helped. Everything worked and the staff could not be more friendly.
The location is central to PoS with many restaurants in walking distance. The Savanna is on the doorstep so easy for a stroll or run.
I saw an earlier review mentioning security which is inaccurate. There is always someone on duty and I felt more secure and comfortable at No 87 and the surrounding area than larger hotels in more remote locations
If you want to experience Trinidad and Port of Spain No 87 is a a good option. If you want impersonal service, lots of people, remote location, a swimming pool and spa -stay elsewhere and good luck

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DubaiFatman
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just spent 3 nights at the inn and was treated like family. They had someone ready to pick me up from the airport for an extra $30 and the inn is very comfortable with good A/C and a great breakfast. It´s in a very safe neighborhood but a bit out of the way from the hub-bub so taxis are in order.

Room Tip: My room was #8 and the TV was losing its sound. I let the front desk know. I never heard a sound ou...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo