“Great service but needs updating”

Cascadia Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
UK
“Great service but needs updating”
Reviewed October 28, 2009

I stayed here for a few days for a conference being hosted at the same venue.
I cannot fault the service! All members of staff from the front desk, to the waitresses, to the housekeepers to the manager were excellent - very welcoming and accomodating.
The down side to this place is it needs to be refurbished. The rooms are perfectly clean and servicable but a bit tired, the gym is full of old or broken equipment and the pool area has seen better days. A lick of paint, and some new soft furnishings could make this place a lot better and without this it will never compete with the hotels in the city. That said, this is better value for money and I doubt the service would be so personal at one of the big chains.
So generally some ups and some downs but overall, yes, I would recommend it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank y0ung1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
New York
Reviewed March 25, 2009

We stayed at Cascadia Hotel for the carnival and it is what it is. The room is not fancy. The hallway carpet smells old however the room we got was not that bad. This hotel is not in Belmont area as someone mentioned before. Up in the hills you can see nice wall big wall houses. The hotel is about 5 minutes drive further than the Normandie so it is a little isolated, gated, and by tucked to the left on a hill. Safety in Trinidad is a huge concern and I must say I felt very safe there. There was an electronic safe in the room where you safety store your items, and change the codes every time you wished. I was able to safely keep my 15 inch laptop in the safe.

One thing, we had the do not disturb sign on the door and we spoke to the housekeeper not to clean the room, but some other housekeeper came after her, ignored the sign and entered and cleaned up for us, changed the linens and made the beds. That was weird, even with the sign, but it was ok seeing we had placed items in the safe already.

The hotel front desk staff Pat is a darling who worked with me so much. Whenever I needed a taxi she called for it and assisted us along the way. She was and is a Wonderful person. She was very concerned about us and made sure we were ok.

Breakfast was delicious and was included in our rate. I was able to pick up breakfast and take to the room. The grounds are very beautiful, but the rooms need a lot of updating. However, the linens on the beds were clean and we received clean and fresh linens while we were there. Carnival Monday morning the water was off and when we called they said they were working on it. When it came back it was brown and quickly became clear so we were able to shower and get to our mass band.

All in all out of a possible 5, I give Cascadia a 5 for service thanks to Pat :), 5 for security including the safe; 3.0 for food because the bread was quite hard most of the time; and 1.5 for the décor of the rooms and the conditions of the rooms.

Considering all that believe it or not, I might just return there again because of the service and how safe I felt in the hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank TriniCharl
Florida
Reviewed June 30, 2008

Can we say deplorable living conditions? Can we say that the photos on the website are false advertising? Can we say the poorest service ever received by a paying guest? YES TO ALL!!!!!!!!!

The hotel is located in the Belmont area of Trinidad which is one of the worst neighborhoods not to mention most dangerous in the country.

I stayed there for five nights as part of a training workshop and unfortunately could not move to another hotel as they were booked solid. Let's just say that I have not stayed in such a disgusting hotel in my entire life and I pray not to ever again!!! From the minute I arrived and saw the location of the hotel I knew that things were about to go downhill. When I opened my room door there was immediate confirmation. The smell of the room was awful not to mention that the turf looking carpet was starting to disintegrate in parts, the cushion in the chair was dirty the pillows smelt awful and the dirty mattress and boxspring were almost sitting on the ground. I tried changing rooms but was told that the hotel was full. I would later discover from other guests that there were no better rooms to move to. Additionally there was an air freshener in the rooms that sprayed air freshner every few minutes ( these were also located in various parts of the hotels - halls etc.), which I had them disable because the smell it emitted gave me a headache. There was also an air purifier in my room, which did not work, so they obviously know that there are problems. To top it all off I got totally chewed up by bed bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a most upsetting time for me and I have written this review to give others the true picture of what a stay at Cascadia will be like.

• Liked — Absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Amorita

Travelers are raving about these Port of Spain hotels

Barbados
Reviewed March 4, 2008

I visited the Cascadia recently and found the room clean and spacious....the towels were especially soft and fluffy. The hotel is situated among beautiful foliage in the hills of St. Anns and there are no restaurants/attractions immediately surrounding it. However, public transportation can be taken directly outside the hotel to go to town and other locations. Interestingly, public transportation comprise shared cars. Alternatively, one can use the hotel taxi service to get around.

The hotel is only about 10-15 minutes from capital Port of Spain which is a hive of activity with great prices on textiles. Do buy a one of a kind mat or scarf. Foodwise, try the local roti or doubles...very delicious.

The hotel also has a pool, gym and sauna available to guests as well as a water slide. There is also a tropically decorated restaurant on property.

Breakfast at Cascadia is especially awesome...try the delicious local fare or stick to your typical made to order omelettes, bacon, pancake etc. The choice is yours.

• Liked — Cleanliness; breakfast; elevator for 3 floor hotel
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Tigerlady15
Chicago, IL
Reviewed December 13, 2006

I really think that any one or two star reviews were written by the hotel's competition in Trinidad. This is a perfectly nice hotel that reminds me of a conference hotel in, say, suburban Indianapolis. It's clean, friendly and has a nice pool, a fitness room and a great breakfast and lunch buffet.
There are a couple of drawbacks. First, it's located up a winding road outside the main downtown area. This means you have to drive if you want to go anywhere. That road, in the dark, driving on the left, is a definite challenge. In fact, driving anywhere in Port of Spain, in the dark is a challenge. This brings up the second problem. Being a hotel specializing in daytime conferences, the dinner menu is, to put it charitably, Spartan (burgers, grilled chicken and beef and not much else) and this means if you want to eat, you have to drive 'that road.'
If you do choose the Cascadia, be aware there is absolutely no sign anywhere on the building letting you know it's a hotel. It looks like a large government building including a sentry at the driveway.

• Liked — Clean and friendly
  • Disliked — Location; poor dinner menu
  • Tips/Secrets — Enjoy the breakfast and lunch buffet (they're great) and just skip dinner
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
1 Thank david1055
new york
Reviewed September 17, 2006

This is by far the worst experience I've had with any hotel in the region. We had ants in our beds, the carpets smelled of mold and the blankets had pubic hair on them upon arrival.

The response of the staff was the most astonishing. There was never any desire to help or be part of the solution to a problem. For example, during my 4 day stay, there was at least one person who got stuck in the elevator once a day. The staff felt no urgency to address even this type of issue!

I would find it difficult to believe that there are repeat customers of this hotel. So, I wish someone had provided me with a review such as this one to STAY AWAY!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — don't go to this place, stay in town
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank frequenttraveler9
Barbados
Reviewed August 22, 2006

Cascadia hotel and conference centre
23rd August 2006
Crew rest -St.Michael Barbados

I really enjoy my stay at Cascadia Hotel it was really nice the staff was very nice,the rooms were clean the place was really quiet, and had a good time the lady who sits and the end of the corridor where our room was suitated was so nice and friendly i am looking forward to coming back to this place on my vacation the taxi guy who took me to the bank from Ontime 24hrs Transport Service Lester was really nice he waited outside the bank for me althought i was uneasy thanks to him too.

I am looking forward to staying at that hotel again when i come for vacation the food is nice the front desk staff is nice and i had a great time keep up the good work and i will see you all again.

• Liked — quiet
  • Disliked — road travelling to hotel
  • Tips/Secrets — choose the hotel the Security is good
Courtyard Port of Spain
#1 of 21 in Port of Spain
D' Coconut Cove Holiday Beach Resort
The Normandie Hotel & Conference Centre

Been to Cascadia Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!