“Renovate or shut down”

Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Jamaica
“Renovate or shut down”
Reviewed September 15, 2005

This place is a conference centre. The lobby, bar and conference rooms are all attractive and well kept but once you go upstairs, it's an entirely difference place. Rooms were musty with furnishings that haven't been replaced in well over a decade it seems. The kind of place that you would expect to pay by the hour instead of per night.

The location of the hotel has contributed to its demise. You just don't feel safe in the area. Just a bad hotel that needs to be taken out of its misery.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
5 Thank gaving

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed June 12, 2005

The "hotel" is more a cheap motel. The service is lacking in professionalism, staff never seems to know what is going on and don't care either. One in particular seems interested only in getting into bed with affluent guests (this is from personal experience,she even visited my room on pretence) Nothing works :a/c,elevator,cable at times even the power went out. Even the managers are unprofessional both in the way they deal with staff and guests, no wonder service is so poor. Food leaves much to be desired, the drive to the hotel is quite tricky and not really scenic. It difficult to access reliable transportation : private or otherwise. The rooms are decent but musty and need renovation desperately. Rates are quite cheap but in the end you do get what you pay for.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Port of Spain hotels

Reviewed September 17, 2004

The hotel staff was quite friendly, and the rooms were adequate, at best. What truly disappointed me was the disco just off the hotel's property. The "music" began at around midnight, and didn't eend until 4:30 AM! It was like sitting at a traffic light with one of those little 'boom-boom' cars sitting next to you... FOR FOUR SOLID HOURS! I travel a great deal, and stay in many hotels. I can honestly say that this was the worst experience I have ever had. It should be noted, however, that the negative experience was in no way caused by the hotel, or its staff. The rooms could be cleaner, and the dining menu enhanced, but these things can live with. The noise, however, I can not!

• Stayed September 2004, traveled on business
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 26, 2004

Well, from the pictures on the net, I still can't believe that where I went was the famous Cascadia. It was not at all what I had expected. The best thing about Cascadia is the restaurant, delicious food. I totally enjoyed that. Otherwise than that. I really didn't enjoy my stay there.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 18, 2004

I had to attend a wedding on August 7, 2004, and decided to make a family vacation ou of the trip. I did some research and I found the Cascadia Hotel on the Internet. Let me begin by stating what you see on the Internet is totally different from what you get in real. It is misleading.

1. Our party was a party of eight, which consists of seven adults and one baby. On arrival, the elevator was out of service, and even though service was restored in our "eight day stay," it went out of service again and we had to use the stairs frequently, carrying an eighteen-month baby up flights of stairs with packages. It was by no means an easy task, since one of the adults has a disability and cannot walk very well. He had to use the stairs on several occasions, until I ask the manager if he can use the service elevator.

2. The hotel advertised that they had a gym, this is a factor we considered when making our choice. When we arrived, we discovered the gym consists of only one treadmill, which was out of service, and outdated bicycle and a few weights. We could not even consider jogging in a park, or around the Savannah, because of the distance, we would have needed some form of transportation and or expertise on the dangerous winding roads to get there. It was advertised that the hotel was in close proximity to the Queens Park Savannah.

3. The hotel has a pool, however my son encountered a frog in the pool. We had difficulty in obtaining towels from the staff. They gave only one pool towel for a party of eight.

4. The overall service was also a problem, we had to tell them on more than one occasion that there are eight people, and we need a total of eight towels in the two bathrooms instead of four. The sheets were also not changed on a regular basis.

5. The icemaker, which was located on the floor beneath our floor, was in service for two days, out of our eight-day stay, for the rest of our stay, we had to use our own initiative and go down to the front dest to ask for ice.

6. Room service when ordering food was another problem. It seemed as if we had to wait forever for the food we ordered or to get something for the baby. The wait was much longer than average. We also needed assistance in getting the refrigerated milk for tha baby and again, this was a much longer wait than expected.

7. Location wise, it also posed a problem. We rented two cars for our stay and we suffered many an inconvenience to get into the heart of the town to restaurants, or to the shops. The roads are dangerous and winding and you need an experienced Trinidadian to remember not only to drive on the other side of the road, but also to deal with the inconsiderate drivers who are not too courteous. We experienced mudslides, and with the heavy rain some trees had fallen on the roads.

8. Overall the staff was friendly and polite, but lacked professionalism. On more than one occasion, I tried to reach the other members who remained in our rooms by phone, (around 10:00 p.m.) and no one would answer the phone for more than ten minutes.

In my opinion, the hotel should be used exclusively for thosee only planning to spend one or two days and Trinidadians familiar and equipped to deal with the road condition. I will not recommend it to any family for a vacation.

• Stayed August 2004