“LOVED NORMANDIE ...”

Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Platteville, Colorado
“LOVED NORMANDIE ...”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed in the suite across from the Resteraunt and although it was not the Hilton it was CLEAN, the staff was amazing. Whatever I needed I just had to ask. I even locked myself out late at night and one of the staff stayed with me for 20 minutes until the maintanence gentleman came to let me in. They were warm and friendly even though I knew they would rather be doing something else. So, all of the folks who whine about a noisy fan or a light switch,.. must not travel to TT very often. I am here 4 - 5 times a year and This is the place with the right price, and the best service. From Colorado USA - Thank you Normandy for the greatest 3 weeks I have had in Trinidad. And to Josephine the service attendant. You are the best. :)

Room Tip: I liked the suite - had a great balcony and private stairway to the resteraunt and shopping but priv...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Chaguanas, Trinidad
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My hubby and I stayed over the weekend, we checked in at 3pm where all the paper work was finalized.The A\C is makes a loud noise in your room, the bed is extremely small and uncomfortable. At day 1 our A\C knocked out it took 2-3 hrs before anyone came despite two phone calls. We were told to move to a next room no assistance offered. The next room's shower wasn't in good working condition and the A\C was louder, the kettle was dirty when I asked for a clean one (no kitchen in room) I was told to come downstairs for it.. when i paused in disbelief on the line a couple seconds...I was told ok I'll bring it up...On the day of our departure (check in at 1:00, check out @ 11am) not listing names so someone telephoned @ 830am awaking us, inquiring when we were leaving and what rate we were quoted although all the formalities were finalized on our arrival when i related this I was told thank you for your insight!!!!no sorry,no apologies. Upon leaving I inquired as to what is the hotel policy regarding checking out, normally guests are reminded @ 1030am and a 15min grace is allowed. When i related I was called @830am silence followed no apologies. I can be a better host if I were to open a hotel at my home not to mention offer much better facilities. The pool needs cleaning and the restaurant is expensive. The cost of $700-800 a night is definitely not worth it.

Room Tip: Avoid this Hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank sunita1479

Travelers are raving about these Port of Spain hotels

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed here during Carnival 2013, and had a good experience. Overall, the hotel is looking tired and could well do with an upgrade, expecially given the prices charged. However - it was Carnival (peak season) and so we expected higher prices; we'd also left our accommodation booking a bit late (Oct 12) so had less choice. The hotel has a lovely setting and character (including parquetry floors in rooms), and was a comfortable walk to Queens Park Savannah & Carnival events. One thing to be aware of: they hold a few 'under the trees' events at the hotel during Carnival, which means loud pumping music which reverberates through your room. This only affected us once, with music starting at about 4pm on Sat, but having stopped by 12pm when we got home again. If this might be an issue for you, I suggest you ask ahead when the events will be and timing.

Check-in was slow, but generally we found the staff to be friendly and helpful. Of note, they allowed my partner to use their office computer for several hours to do some urgent, unexpected work. The rooms were comfortable and clean, with some minor staining above air conditioning units which didn't detract from the experience for us. The air conditioner units are old (and not easily adjusted) but worked ok. Shower water was warm rather than hot. The pool was clean and very welcome after wandering hot dusy Carnival streets. Breakfasts were good, buffet style with a variety of food, although yes sometime things ran out and weren't quickly replaced (noting other reviews). The dinners were somewhat overpriced given the quality of the food, but convenient. However, we weren't impressed when told we could only have 1 piece of chicken at the buffet dinner!

We had no problem with security - we kept our bags locked during the day, and took valuables (cash, passports) with us at all times.

Some of the reviews of this hotel are quite damming - but its worth remembering, you are in Trinidad and standards will not replicate the US or UK, and if you want a Hilton experience, pay the price and go stay at the Hilton!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Pandia_67
Costa Rica
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Dear reader,
Avoid yourself additional frustrations and disappointments from the regular you normally get from work. If you are on business and need everything to go worries free, this is not your hotel. Upon arrival, they could not find my reservation. It took a while for them to find me a room. They thought they were doing me a favor by placing me close to the small pool, mistake, I wanted peace and quite. That night the AC stopped working so not much sleeping. In the morning when going for breakfast, I reported the broken AC and they said they would have somebody fixing it in no time. After enjoying a sad, weak and repetitive breakfast (every day the same weak continental buffet breakfast, yikes!), went back to my room to work and after that go to a meeting. By 4 pm, the AC was still broken and on top of that, the internet was not working. Finally somebody fixed the AC but it work the following night again, and yes, still no internet.I requested a safety deposit box for one night and they took me into this small, smelly and beat up room with the safety deposit boxes; they boxes were all rusted and showed their age (counted in decades), it was an issue to get the right key to open the small box. I could continue with anecdotes but I have not got the time to write that much right now. Just remember, if you are on business, think twice about staying here. Perhaps if you go to TT for carnival and plan to party day and night this could be an option for you, I will leave that to your consideration.

Room Tip: There is a new building with rooms away from the reception and next to the parking, those seem to be...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank TucanTico
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed here briefly during Carnival 2012 together with many family & friends. We were most disappointed that we cut short our stay and moved to another hotel due to many reasons. Mainly the lack of hospitality, the services was extremely poor, the ignorance of staff especially management, the quality and the choice of food was dire, the rooms had damp, no hot water and to top it off the theft of money from several rooms. All the family run members are interested in is making money regardless of your safety and welfare!! DO NOT STAY HERE - AVOID DISAPPOINTMENT AND FOR THE NORMANDIE HOTEL TO SPOIL YOUR STAY IN TRINIDAD! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!! TAKE HEED AND STAY ELSEWHERE!!

• Stayed February 2012
10 Thank Se1im
Australia / Guyana
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The Normandie has great potential but falls short of the mark in true Trinidadian style.
The main hotel complex is a lovely old historical building with a very nice pool area attached but the staff are hopeless and lazy and just cant get their act together.

Stayed here for 3 nights during the carnival period in 2011. Decided to spend a little extra money to treat my traveling partner (she's now my wife so it must have worked!) Therefore we stayed in one of the Samaan Wing suites and paid a small fortune to do so. Complimentary breakfasts were provided with the room but were pretty crappy (again in typical Trini fashion) for the money paid. The location is fine although a little bit of a walk to the Queen's Park Savannah (could be worse though...) so a car would really help - the only problem is don't expect the secure car park to be secure or the security guards to do their job (ie stay awake at night).

Whilst the suites look nice on the hotels website they fall well short of the mark. They're not actually suites just larger rooms without any amenities or closet space (come on guys it's be a cinch to put some built ins in...) and things like ironing boards left out in the room. The fancy paint job shown on the hotel's website was not done properly and the walls were poorly painted, marked and peeling. Worst of all there was no hot water available for our entire stay. When questioned why we were met with some crappy excuse or we were told that the plumber had been called and nothing was done about it - for over $300 a night I damn well demand hot water!!!

So in summary this hotel is a pretty good reflection of Trinidad and Trinidadian culture - beautiful location, blessed by history and natural resources but spoiled by the staff's laziness, disorganisation and inattention. It's a lovely old colonial building that just needs the return of colonialism to restore order!

Room Tip: Ask for one with hot water - if you don't get it leave.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Shmemley
Darwin
Reviewed May 14, 2012

The hotel is located down a lane in St Anne’s. We were in Trinidad to watch cricket at Queens Park so the location was very suitable for us as only a 30 min walk across the Savannah. The room was clean & large with a TV, safe, fridge, WIFI & balcony. There is a large pool area. The restaurant had good food but most of the items on the menu were unavailable & we highly recommend the Creole restaurant in the lane outside the front entrance.

Room Tip: Although we had a lovely room with balcony it was near the reception & noisy at night with peopl...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends