“Recommend this to someone you DON"T LIKE!”

The Normandie Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
New York
“Recommend this to someone you DON"T LIKE!”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

So I decided to stay here for carnival this year (2/17-2/22). Last year I stayed at the Hilton and had zero complaints. But the majority of the people I traveled with stayed at the Normandie and I was always going over there to visit. I liked the idea that it wasn't so BIG like the Hilton and had a cozier vibe to the hotel. So I went with the decision to stay here this year. Worst decision ever made!! From the fact that there was one working lamp in my room (several calls to the front desk made), the fact there was a lack to basic items like washcloths and towels available, the fact that money was STOLEN from my room ($50 from me & $40 from my roommate), the fact the MAJORITY of the staff had a major attitude problem, the fact the restaurant on site had a menu with a variety of options..too bad there were only 4 things available to choose from, leads me to the decision that I would NEVER stay here again. I should of stayed at the Hilton. I have so many other complaints but I think you get the idea. TnT carnival will see me again for 2013 but not the Normadie!!! EVER!!!

9 Thank cayd79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
achrafieh beirut
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I stayed at this cozy hotel 2times this Janu. And Mar.
The room is always very clean, and quiet enough.
Hotel women are very helpful and have a good hospitality.
This time I had a dinner here. Pasta and Garden Salada is delicious.
I would like to stay here again, actually I will be back this June.
I'm looking forward to.
Thanks a lot.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2012

DO NOT STAY AT THE NORMANDIE HOTEL AT ALL COSTS. IF YOU WANT TO EXPERIENCE PROPER TRINIDADIAN HOSPITALITY - STAY ELSEWHERE

Me, my family and several friends stayed there recently during Trinidad carnival and cut our stay.

The reception staff are inept. One would think as reception is front facing and representing the Normandie, It is the first and foremost their duty to ensure that all guests should have a very pleasant stay at the hotel. If they don't, then at least try to resolve any problems or come to an agreeable solution. There were no clarity, no coherence and certainly no responsibility in the manner to which they handled our stay. That's just reception, so this now leads to management and the lack of it. Where were they? Who are they? Why did it take all of our party to try to speak to someone on several occasions to try and resolve the problems we all had with each any every room we were allocated.

I shared a twin room with a friend, in fact it was room 106 and there were mould on the walls by the air conditioning unit. The electrical wires around the unit were not secure and could potentially be fatal. The water from the bathroom sink and shower were both tepid and there were no water pressure either. No one from the hotel apologised, let alone attempted to fix it or move us to another room despite high-lighting the problems to reception several times.

We were suppose to be staying on a bed & breakfast basis. The choice of food were minimal and cold irrespective what time you arrived to eat. It were a task in itself to get any of the waiting staff to replenish foods which were running low or in most times run out. I asked if I could have a fried egg, to which I had to wait over half an hour for it. In that time I had to ask four times and even offered to fry it myself!!!!!

To top things off, there were thefts of money from a couple of our party rooms. The way that management handled it seem like something out of Pink Panther and Inspector Clouseau!! As such, we had to call the police.

It's absolutely disgusting that the owner dismissed us out of hand and literally walked away when we wanted a refund, especially when all of our party travelled long distances to get to Trinidad and paid a lot of money to stay at the Normandie hotel. What the pictures on the Normandie Hotel website shows in reality to what we experienced is totally different. We actually found out that there were many rooms which were closed before hand because they needed adequate to major refurbishment. Instead of the owner addressing all of these rooms properly and bringing them up to the standard advertised on their website. They thought they could get away with it by opening them up anyway and delegating to guests irrespective of the condition to reside in them. A HUGE mistake on their part. THEY ARE MONEY ORIENTATED and greed got the best of them, plus there is are members of staff which are light fingered.

Me and my party have taken photographic evidence of all our rooms. We have presented our complaints to the Hotel. As such, since management have not been in regular contact with us, resolved our problems to date and not offered adequate compensation, we shall be taking this further with Trinidad's Ministry of Tourism and will make Trinidad media aware of this, because they certainly have let themselves down tremendously and not represented the true spirit and culture of true Trinidadians. SHAME ON YOU NORMANDIE HOTEL.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank Se1im

Travelers are raving about these Port of Spain hotels

Reviewed March 13, 2012

My wife and I had just got married in Tobago and arrived at The Normandie Hotel on Saturday 18th February where we had planned to stay for 4 nights during Carnival and then go on elsewhere to enjoy some Honeymoon time together for the remainder of our stay in Trinidad.

We brought with us to this hotel 14 of our lovely wedding guests, some of our closest friends and family - we were all in the mood to party, celebrate and have a great time.

On our first night in Port of Spain we all went out and enjoyed the nightlife, returning to the hotel at around 3am for some much needed rest.

It seemed as though no sooner had my wife and I got into bed and closed our eyes that we were woken up by music so loud that the windows were literally shaking!

It was 4am and a full on party had just started in an outside area of the hotel, this must have been attended by a crowd of at least 1,000 people - and was due to continue until midday.

We had a room costing 260 USD per night that we were not able to sleep in and no invitation to the party either, admission demanded payment of a further 500 TTD (equivalent to approx 80 USD).

It was impossible to get any sleep that night and on raising this issue with hotel staff there did not seem to be anyone around with the capacity for management.

The hotel's owner and managing director both happened to be on the premises later that morning but neither seemed at all interested in the grievances of their guests.

In fact the owner of hotel actually dismissed the issue out of hand, turned his back and walked away during a conversation - a very rude, arrogant and greedy man - it's quite clearly lucrative to have a hotel full of guests being charge over inflated rates for rooms that they are unable to sleep in and also have 1,000 people paying 500 TTD to attend an event at the hotel.

This was a not a good start but things did not get any better during the course of our stay.

The room was adequate, although there was no the hot water to wash and shower with - at best, it was lukewarm.

Breakfast was a buffet and it was poor - stations would remain empty for far too long before being replenished; plates, coffee cups, etc seemed to be quite scarce; any kind of needs that were brought to the attention of the staff were not received with a smile and a "no problem" attitude, it felt more like "why are you bothering me?!"

In general I cannot say that the staff were warm and friendly, they seemed to have little concern about the quality of service that their guests were experiencing.

On Wednesday morning, after two days on the road at Carnival and again in need of some much needed rest, we were woken up at 7am by construction work that was taking place again right outside our window.

We were not made aware of this in advance and It seems that an extension to the hotel is being built at present. If that is indeed the case then to my mind it would more beneficial to make an investment in improving standards first, quality over quantity.

We were due to check out that morning and by this point we just couldn't wait to get out, move on to our next destination and get on with our Honeymoon.

Regrettably, on leaving the hotel we discovered that some money had been stolen from our room that morning while we were at breakfast.

There were no safes in the rooms, but we had kept an amount of cash in a purse out of sight in our room.

2,000 TTD that had been there before breakfast that morning had now gone, so we had no option but to return to the hotel, call the police and then spend pretty much the rest of the day dealing with that - what was more annoying than the theft of the money itself was wasting so much of the precious little time we had left in Trinidad.

On top of that, it then came to light that another member of our group also had an amount of cash stolen from their room - 1,000 TTD.

It's been 3 weeks now since we were at this hotel and we are still waiting for it's directors to contact us with a satisfactory resolution to the issue of some recompense for this dire experience so I the only conclusion I can come to is that they could not care less.

I had an amazing time in Trinidad and look forward to going back some day soon but my experience at this hotel could not have possibly been any worse and I would not choose to stay here again even if I was paid to!

Room Tip: A good room would be one in another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
15 Thank Chris V
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I came here with 17 friends in February 2012 for the carnival. On the first night we were kept awake by a party right next to the hotel which started at 4.00am and carried on until 12.00pm the next day! Hotel did not inform us of this and was generally apathetic. It wasn't a great start to our stay but things got worse.

Apathy seemed to be general theme in this hotel. It took me three trips to reception to rectify a problem with my wifi. I was staying in a room with two other people, however, we were only provided with two towels. This was inspite of asking room service on a number of occasions to provide more towels.

Our room was acceptable on the whole though other members of my party had lots of problems such as no hot water and mold on the walls. Also we had no safes in the room which turned out to be a big problem!

It all came to head when several members of my party had money stolen from the rooms (approximately £300 in total). When we approached the management about this they were yet again apathetic and unhelpful. In the end the police had to be called and the matter is still yet to be resolved (at the time of writing this).

We ended up cutting our stay short at this hotel and moving to another hotel because of all that had happened. It was quite possibly one of the worst experiences I've had a hotel ever. If you are thinking about staying here I'd strongly suggest looking at other options....

13 Thank NiteGlow
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2012

This Hotel is a nightmare and worst place I have ever stayed in! We stayed there during carnival as part of a large party of 17 people - so it wasn't cheap! Firstly, do not be tempted by the pictures - they are truly giving you a false expectation. They do not provide a safety deposit box in the hotel room instead some other safety box behind the reception which is questionable. I had £100, which is 1000 TT dollars stolen from my purse and my friend had £200 stolen which is 2000 TT dollars stolen too.

At breakfast time asking for more food in the buffet took ages, which in itself was not that great very repetitive with very little vegetarian choice. At lunch time I asked for a coffee, but this just seemed tooo much trouble for the waitress - I couldn't believe it! So I settled for a juice. Having an afternoon cocktail was also a chore for them, with the staff only knowing how to make one cocktail. At peak season you think they would be trying to tell as many as possible.

House keeping was below par, after going to the beach the next day the shower was still filthy and the toilet had not been cleaned. In our friends room, they had no hot water and had to continually use our shower which was already being shared by 4 people. Other people had mould growing on walls in their room and air conditioning systems that hardly worked.

On arrival, the next morning there was a breakfast party that started at 4am which they did not tell us about. After travelling from Tobago and generally needing sleep ourselves from a night out at the Avenue the last thing we needed was Soca at 4am-12pm in the afternoon- what a waste of money!

The staff were appalling and kept passing the buck - no one knew who was in charge. We finally spoke to the director Chris Chin Lee who 'took note' on the issues of which none have been resolved or neither have we been given any type of compensation.

We were originally booked in for a week, but after 3 days, the theft of my money, lack of house keeping and appalling staff we checked out and went to the Hyatt Hotel which was MUCH better.

Lets just say i have stayed in better crap holes in India!!

Room Tip: Just don't stay here!
13 Thank ManishaBolina
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2012

It is a great Shame that Chris Chin Lee Director of The Normandie Hotel did not feel that it was his obligation to contact all 17 guests that stayed at the hotel from 18th Feb - 22nd Feb 2012. We had given Chris and all relevant parties amply amount of time to contact anyone of us, but as such he has failed to do so.

Complaint : where do i start!

A group of us (17 in total : from UK, Hong Kong, Canada, USA, Nigeria, India, Australia) travelled to Trinidad and pre booked to stay at the Normandie Hotel. Literally upon arrival at the hotel all the problems started :

1. The rooms were nothing like what was advertised or as shown in the pictures they sent to us, grubby disgusting rooms, no hot water, no iron, tv did not work amongst a catalogue of other issues.
2. Noise started from 7am as there is a construction site outside of our particular room, we couldn’t open our curtains let alone the window.
3. Severe mould and damp issues - a serious health hazard
4. Air condition made a huge noise - sounded like it was about to take off!!
5. shower head broken
6. Cleaning of the rooms – don’t make me laugh! I don't think they know the meaning.
7. insufficient lighting in room – dark and dingy
8. Filthy and disgusting drawers and wardrobes – dust, cobwebs and general dirt
9. Not enough towels on any given day
10. Missing bedding
11... the list goes on

The entire hotel is a shambles, I cannot believe the dire state the hotel is in and that they are even allowed to run as a business.

The level of customer services - I have never in my life met a bunch of highly incompetent staff, rude and clearly have no manners or any authority, they constantly dismissed and fobbed us off.

Breakfast - completely dire. options were so limited and every day we encountered the same issues of everything running out.

MAJOR ISSUES :
The morning of the 19th February at 4am a breakfast party commenced, none of us from our party who checked into the hotel were informed of this and the noise was extreme this went on till 12pm. I thought that when you booked into a hotel it was for sleeping purposes!

THE FINAL STRAW:
Wednesday 22nd February 2012 – cleaning staff entered our room whilst we were having breakfast and stole all of our money! This was proven by the card system on the door and police were called – I am yet to get my money back! Or yet get an apology.

Another friend also in Room 228 had their money stolen from their room too – she is yet to receive her money back!

We then proceeded to all check out on the Wednesday 22nd February for the remainder of our holiday and moved to The Hyatt Regency – as we were left completely disgusted and the unacceptable behaviour and having to endure this hotel from hell.

Please avoid at all costs...

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs, location of all rooms backs onto a construction site or noisy areas including po...
9 Thank TripA6visor
Hyatt Regency Trinidad
Hyatt Regency Trinidad
#2 of 21 in Port of Spain
D' Coconut Cove Holiday Beach Resort

Been to The Normandie Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!