“Clean, basic, unmemorable”

Ranked #25 of 42 Port of Spain B&B and Inns
London
“Clean, basic, unmemorable”
Reviewed April 12, 2007

Trinidad doesn't really do tourism so the hotels are pretty basic. Alicia's was clean and cheap but nothing to remember. Booking the rooms seemed to be quite a chore. Swimming pool is clean but cold, jacuzzi is a disgusting milky colour, breakfast is good but deathly slow, and the milk is condensed (ask for skim). Residential area so restaurants and bars are not walking distance.

• Stayed March 2007
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank ChickenHawk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 7, 2007

Alicia's Guesthouse have probably been a lot better... nice location a daytime (in nighttime taxi is necassary as all other places in port of spain), a swimmingpool and jacuzzi (not working...) but the air-condition was VERY noisy and not a soundproof hotel if you get me... nice breakfast, a lots of channels in the room.

• Disliked — the other stories about the people working there!
  • Tips/Secrets — use the safe at the hotel or bring your own.
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank mortenab

Travelers are raving about these Port of Spain hotels

Reviewed July 9, 2006

My sister stayed here while in Trinidad for my wedding. While she was sleeping someone "broke into" her room and stole her $700 camera, her watch and a couple hundred dollars from her wallet. Luckily they did not do anything to her physically.

The staff tampered with the crime scene and changed the locks before the police could arrive to do an investigation. When we asked if they would call the police the staff told us the police in Trinidad do not really work on Sundays so we should wait until Monday. A lie, of course.

We asked to see the video tape of that night. The management told us they had already watched the tape and there was nothing there. But when the police arrived the manager could not get the tape machine to work.

In the end I leave you with what Constable Campbell from the Belmont Police Station said to the manager in front of all of us: "Ms. Sutton, you need to take a look at your staff and you need to look at yourself. This is not the first time, it is not the second time we have come here for this kind of thing. We have been here many times under similar circumstances. It is hurtful to our image as a country."

The owners of Alicia's house refused to meet with us, have never returned our phone calls and have ignored letters sent by our attorneys. I suggest you stay clear of Alicia's guest when traveling to Trinidad.

• Stayed April 2006
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 16, 2006

My two-week stay at Alicia's was way more that I had expected. The staff was amazing, extremely helpful and made my first trip to Trinidad a great experience. The guest house offered clean, airconditioned rooms - all interestingly located throughout this converted house. My room was right down by the pool - which had a Mango tree hanging over it. Every morning you either fished a fresh Mango out of the pool or one of the staff pulled one down for you with the pool skimmer. (I was lucky it was Mango season). I was suprisingly pleased with the whole experience, as I had read some of the reviews on this site - and I must admit I was a little worried. I'm not sure what some people expect when staying at a guest house - true, it's not a five-star hotel, but I wasn't paying five-star hotel prices. If you want a truly comfortable home away from home when you are traveling to Trinidad, then Alicia's is the place to stay. Special thanks to the front desk folks who helped me to navigate the city and made sure I knew how to get to where I was going. Thanks Alicia's - I'll be back to Trinidad and Alicia's will be where I stay.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed March 25, 2006

We went for carnival and chose it because of the location – which was good. Before our arrival they were very nice, although we noted they charged up more than double the regular rate for carnival. I wouldn’t mind if I were getting exceptional service.

The maid, Jennifer was excellent! She wouldn’t disturb you when sleeping and would come by later in the day if that were your desire. That’s the best thing we can say. The breakfast daily was good – dinner was sketchy.

The were two very interesting things we made note of – they don’t provide you a wash towel if you want one it will cost $2 US. Also, they didn’t always have beach towels.

Whatever you do, don’t stay in the rooms on the first floor near the entrance or kitchen. You will be up all night with the noise of people coming in and early in the morning when the kitchen staff comes in at 6am. You will get no sleep in those rooms. All the rooms have an island feel and there were no critters, however the walls are like paper and you will hear EVERYTHING around you. The rooms are comfortable, although one of them has a weird backdoor entrance and the AC didn’t work. There was effort to accommodate us when it didn’t work – we were told it didn’t work.

The Jacuzzi was well situation although we learned it hasn’t worked in 2 months and there is no indication that it will be repaired in the future. The pool is underneath a tree so there is ALWAYS a need to have it swept. There is a veranda for sitting although there were no chairs to sit there.

Lastly, the power went out during our stay. We were provided with lanterns as it was out for eight hours. That was a nice gesture – it wasn’t so nice the next night when we got a call at 3am to return them to the front desk. They never explained why they weren’t collected the next day or why we needed to bring them up to the front desk.

Incidentally, they charge $6/hr US for Internet and they do have some snacks. They have a sign that says they are doing renovations although we didn’t see that happening during our stay. They offer laundry, one load cost us $7; phone is available with a $30 US deposit.

We met some locals during our stay that recommended that we stay elsewhere - This is overpriced and rundown.

Your stay will likely be more enjoyable in another property.

• Stayed February 2006
8 Thank NPNorthern
Reviewed January 16, 2006

Stayed one night at alicia's in Jan, 2004, after the Hilton --- up our booking. It was lovely - so when we were going to be back in P.O.S. for a night this year (Jan, 2006), we of course booked it there. I don't know what happened, but it was a complete reversal. First off, the room (comedically named "Peace") was directly across from the kitchen door & staff bathroom, right outside both the front door & the tv room. There were staff watching the TV really really loud and yelling until the wee hours (we were scheduled to leave at 5 AM!).
Then there is the matter of "The beep," a strange chirping sound I noticed immediately. The front desk said they didn't know what it was, but then a few minutes later (when I went in person) she said "Oh, yeah, all the rooms are like that. That's the smoke detectors." It wasn't wake-you-up loud, but it was keep-you-up-since-you're-already-up-from-the-hallway-noise loud.

Needless to say, we didn't sleep a wink between the yelling, the beeping and people arriving at all hours & ringing the doorbell. I would lay out a sleeping bag and stay in the savannah with $100 bills taped to my body before I'd stay there again.

• Stayed January 2006
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 7, 2006

I will preface this review by stating that I am from Trinidad, so am perhaps more accustomed to the vagaries of everyday life than the average tourist.

I only stayed at Alicia's for one night, and it was little more than a place to rest between other activities. As such, I did not make use of any of the amenities such as the meal service or pool.

My room was on the third floor, and small. It seems that at Alicia's, the smaller (and probably cheaper) rooms are on the upper floors. Although the furnishings were quite basic, bordering on utilitarian, they met my needs.

I'd read earlier reviews on this site before going to Alicia's, and I was a bit concerned about the ones citing water problems and mildewy rooms. However neither of these issues materialised for me. Even on the topmost floor, the water pressure was POWERFUL and the hot water plentiful. No issues with threadbare towels either. And another minor point is that the toilet flushed quietly. No worries about the whole house hearing you flush at 2am.

While there were small failings in the room - the fridge door didn't open smoothly due to an uneven floor/carpet, the vents on the AC unit were cracked and falling off, and the AC unit also had only one speed - the place was definitely clean and fairly pleasant. I think being upstairs was an added benefit as we were away from any ground floor noise. The stairs were a bit of a climb though. Narrow and steep. Not suitable for the weak-kneed.

The only other aspect I feel qualified to comment on is the staff. The day receptionist was quite perfunctory, almost distant in her attitude. She answered all my questions, but a smile wouldn't have killed her. The young gentleman manning the desk after hours was much more easygoing and jovial. Even when the electronic door release refused to work for us, twice!

As my title suggests, although I think Alicia's is quite a basic place, with some minor repair work and maintenance it would be much more cosy. Plus the neighbourhood is very quiet and secluded while still allowing easy access to major destinations such as the Savannah.

• Stayed December 2005