“Great Staff - Super Experience”

Alicia's Guest House
Ranked #25 of 42 Port of Spain B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great Staff - Super Experience”
Reviewed June 16, 2006

My two-week stay at Alicia's was way more that I had expected. The staff was amazing, extremely helpful and made my first trip to Trinidad a great experience. The guest house offered clean, airconditioned rooms - all interestingly located throughout this converted house. My room was right down by the pool - which had a Mango tree hanging over it. Every morning you either fished a fresh Mango out of the pool or one of the staff pulled one down for you with the pool skimmer. (I was lucky it was Mango season). I was suprisingly pleased with the whole experience, as I had read some of the reviews on this site - and I must admit I was a little worried. I'm not sure what some people expect when staying at a guest house - true, it's not a five-star hotel, but I wasn't paying five-star hotel prices. If you want a truly comfortable home away from home when you are traveling to Trinidad, then Alicia's is the place to stay. Special thanks to the front desk folks who helped me to navigate the city and made sure I knew how to get to where I was going. Thanks Alicia's - I'll be back to Trinidad and Alicia's will be where I stay.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
New York
Reviewed March 25, 2006

We went for carnival and chose it because of the location – which was good. Before our arrival they were very nice, although we noted they charged up more than double the regular rate for carnival. I wouldn’t mind if I were getting exceptional service.

The maid, Jennifer was excellent! She wouldn’t disturb you when sleeping and would come by later in the day if that were your desire. That’s the best thing we can say. The breakfast daily was good – dinner was sketchy.

The were two very interesting things we made note of – they don’t provide you a wash towel if you want one it will cost $2 US. Also, they didn’t always have beach towels.

Whatever you do, don’t stay in the rooms on the first floor near the entrance or kitchen. You will be up all night with the noise of people coming in and early in the morning when the kitchen staff comes in at 6am. You will get no sleep in those rooms. All the rooms have an island feel and there were no critters, however the walls are like paper and you will hear EVERYTHING around you. The rooms are comfortable, although one of them has a weird backdoor entrance and the AC didn’t work. There was effort to accommodate us when it didn’t work – we were told it didn’t work.

The Jacuzzi was well situation although we learned it hasn’t worked in 2 months and there is no indication that it will be repaired in the future. The pool is underneath a tree so there is ALWAYS a need to have it swept. There is a veranda for sitting although there were no chairs to sit there.

Lastly, the power went out during our stay. We were provided with lanterns as it was out for eight hours. That was a nice gesture – it wasn’t so nice the next night when we got a call at 3am to return them to the front desk. They never explained why they weren’t collected the next day or why we needed to bring them up to the front desk.

Incidentally, they charge $6/hr US for Internet and they do have some snacks. They have a sign that says they are doing renovations although we didn’t see that happening during our stay. They offer laundry, one load cost us $7; phone is available with a $30 US deposit.

We met some locals during our stay that recommended that we stay elsewhere - This is overpriced and rundown.

Your stay will likely be more enjoyable in another property.

• Stayed February 2006
8 Thank NPNorthern

Travelers are raving about these Port of Spain hotels

Reviewed January 16, 2006

Stayed one night at alicia's in Jan, 2004, after the Hilton --- up our booking. It was lovely - so when we were going to be back in P.O.S. for a night this year (Jan, 2006), we of course booked it there. I don't know what happened, but it was a complete reversal. First off, the room (comedically named "Peace") was directly across from the kitchen door & staff bathroom, right outside both the front door & the tv room. There were staff watching the TV really really loud and yelling until the wee hours (we were scheduled to leave at 5 AM!).
Then there is the matter of "The beep," a strange chirping sound I noticed immediately. The front desk said they didn't know what it was, but then a few minutes later (when I went in person) she said "Oh, yeah, all the rooms are like that. That's the smoke detectors." It wasn't wake-you-up loud, but it was keep-you-up-since-you're-already-up-from-the-hallway-noise loud.

Needless to say, we didn't sleep a wink between the yelling, the beeping and people arriving at all hours & ringing the doorbell. I would lay out a sleeping bag and stay in the savannah with $100 bills taped to my body before I'd stay there again.

• Stayed January 2006
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 7, 2006

I will preface this review by stating that I am from Trinidad, so am perhaps more accustomed to the vagaries of everyday life than the average tourist.

I only stayed at Alicia's for one night, and it was little more than a place to rest between other activities. As such, I did not make use of any of the amenities such as the meal service or pool.

My room was on the third floor, and small. It seems that at Alicia's, the smaller (and probably cheaper) rooms are on the upper floors. Although the furnishings were quite basic, bordering on utilitarian, they met my needs.

I'd read earlier reviews on this site before going to Alicia's, and I was a bit concerned about the ones citing water problems and mildewy rooms. However neither of these issues materialised for me. Even on the topmost floor, the water pressure was POWERFUL and the hot water plentiful. No issues with threadbare towels either. And another minor point is that the toilet flushed quietly. No worries about the whole house hearing you flush at 2am.

While there were small failings in the room - the fridge door didn't open smoothly due to an uneven floor/carpet, the vents on the AC unit were cracked and falling off, and the AC unit also had only one speed - the place was definitely clean and fairly pleasant. I think being upstairs was an added benefit as we were away from any ground floor noise. The stairs were a bit of a climb though. Narrow and steep. Not suitable for the weak-kneed.

The only other aspect I feel qualified to comment on is the staff. The day receptionist was quite perfunctory, almost distant in her attitude. She answered all my questions, but a smile wouldn't have killed her. The young gentleman manning the desk after hours was much more easygoing and jovial. Even when the electronic door release refused to work for us, twice!

As my title suggests, although I think Alicia's is quite a basic place, with some minor repair work and maintenance it would be much more cosy. Plus the neighbourhood is very quiet and secluded while still allowing easy access to major destinations such as the Savannah.

• Stayed December 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 16, 2005

I was scheduled for a 4 day holiday in beautiful TNT (July, 2005). After reading an aricle in Budget Travel, I decided to give Alicia's House a try. After spending 3 minutes in a mildew/moldy-smelling room, I could not stay. Needless to say, I lost my deposit and was forced to go to another hotel.

Uless you like the smell of mildew and mold in the morning, STAY AWAY.

• Stayed July 2005
8 Thank lacalif11
Reviewed June 15, 2005

I was surprised to read such positive reviews by guests at Alicia's House, and decided to add my own experience. We stayed there one night between flights. The room was clean but there was no hot water in the bathroom, a mere trickle for a shower, and worn out old towels. The staff was incredibly surly, glued to the TV, and acted as though we were interrupting their life when we tried to order dinner (which was really poor). The next morning the receptionist literally didn't speak to us. Later I looked at their brochure and found virtually no resemblance between the actual facility and the glossy pictures. Should you need to stop over in Port of Spain, please do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Wellington
Reviewed January 3, 2005

My husband and I stayed at Alicia's twice in our Christmas 2004/New Year 2005 trip to Trinidad & Tobago. The staff are helpful and pleasant, reception is available 24-hours and it was no hassle (or cost) to use the safety deposit box. Both the rooms we had were good, very clean and each had air conditioning, a ceiling fan and a small fridge with ice box. It depended on the room whether there was a shower or a bath with hand held shower. The pillow for each bed was small and lumpy which is my only gripe. There is some catering at the hotel but for dinner you have to order by lunchtime. All orders have 15% tax + 10% service charge.

Location is a little away from restaurants but in a very quiet and nice area, we had a rental car so no problem there. It's about a 5-minute walk to Queens Park to where some of the Carnival events are.

Like other reviewers yes we did find the exchange rates used at the hotel to be higher than bank rates e.g. 6.2TT dollars to 1USD. But all hotels in Trinidad & Tobago seem to do this (at the same rate). I agree, bringing USD cash to pay the bill avoids the extra charge. If you're wanting to exchange USD for TT, get them at the airport (exchange rate 6.0), the hotel will exchange for only 5.5.

If we were to visit Trinidad again, we'd stay at Alicia's.

5 Thank MacKiwi