“Emporer Valley Zoo .....better for children”
Review of Emperor Valley Zoo

Private Port of Spain City Tour
Hertfordshire
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Emporer Valley Zoo .....better for children”
Reviewed March 5, 2010

The zoo is nice if you want to take children for a day out, since most children get excited about seeing different kinds of animals big and small and I think they will enjoy looking at most of the animals at this zoo. However the zoo isn't that great in terms of choice of animals and it wasn't the most exciting zoo in the world. There are monkeys, caimen/alligators, number of different species of birds, reptiles and snakes, otters, fish etc. Some of the animals look sorry for themselves, but I was there on an unusually hot day and most of them were in the shade or in water keeping cool. I don't think they look unhappy or maltreated. Perhaps there have been some changes made since some of these reviews were written, I'm not sure. I did notice that there are some refurbishments and extensions being done around the zoo, to make way for some new animals so hopefully there are plans to improve the zoo, because it would be nice to have a good, enjoyable and well looked after zoo in Trinidad with the kind of animals people want to see.

6 Thank Nats_x

• Finnish first
claxton bay
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“it's not a zoo..it's a torture chamber”
Reviewed February 1, 2010

Simply put this place is !!SAD!!.. What are the administrators doing with the zoo's money,,that place needs honest ppl to take care of these animals,not those zookeepers that you see at the lounge relaxing,,,earning a hard living..eh..

8 Thank shivaClaxtonBay
Oxfodshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Worst zoo I've been to”
Reviewed July 11, 2008

My boyfriend and I visited the zoo in June (2008). I was absolutely appalled by the state of some (most, actually) of the animals they housed. Beautiful animals were being kept in tiny and inadiquate cages. For example, I saw an ocelot in a tiny, concrete cage with hardly any room to move. People were allowed close to the animals - locals were feeding the monkeys sweets! It also seriously stank as they don't clean the cages well. I didn't even make it to the tigers - I wanted just to leave.

My advice is therefore, if you are an animal lover like I am, either go, take pictures as evidence and then make complaints of animal abuse to the zoo and other authorities, or just don't go at all.

12 Thank GTR6984
trinidad
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“a trip to the zoo”
Reviewed April 29, 2007

hey well i visited the zoo on sunday,29th april after going curry duck compition to, no not eat duck, but hear the big band karma perform....anyways its been 10+ years since i last visited the zoo so you know i was very much excited...just to summarize my visit to the zoo...i was very much disturbed by the state of quite a few of the animals that are present in our zoo!! the tigers look malnourished..there is one little deer all by himself looking all sad,the reindeers look all exhausted,i guess because of the weather and hey worst of all people are saying the animals are looking lazy and i saw quitea number of people pelting the animals...and yes i buffed some of them...if u observe the condition of some of the creatures den/home-- there are bottle and plastic wrappers which people have thrown in order to get the animals to move most likely.......the caimans waters are very dirty and smelly.....the lions area is in need of major repairs!!! the glass shound be changed!! HEY THE GLASS/PLASTIC PANE ON THE LEFT SIDE WAS SHAKING,IMAGINE THAT!!!!so i am hoping that the relevant authorities could resolve these issues soon because other than that we got ourselves a nice zoo...i also think it should have more zoo workers walking around etc.....just to keep an eye on the public so they wont pelt the animals ....hey to all the people out there please do not pelt the animals ok.....they are not lazy i guess they are just fed up of the limited space they have to roam about...and do not forget the harsh weather we got......some of the creatures come from cold climates...so people try to understand ok...oh and please do not lean over the caiman and alligator fencing...you could loose your head in the process....i had to buff a boy for doing that yesterday.....

9 Thank kjr22
A TripAdvisor Member
“Only If You Truly Love Animals - not if you just want a picture.”
Reviewed December 3, 2005

The Emperor Valley Zoo is a beautiful paradise located in a crowded city..I am a true animal lover and when I went there (at least 9 times)I got up close and personal with my favourites...The Blue Macaws were absolutely photogenic, coming towards my camera and seemingly 'blushing'...The agouti's were so swift and there are spots where you can touch them..(if you're fast enough)...I loved every animal...almost every one put on a show or acknowledged that I was there...the Howler monkeys came to the front of the cage and shook my hand...i even got peed on by the tiger!! it was just amazing....

I was saddened when I read the comments other persons made about this zoo....it really is a lovely site...Its for people who genuinely LOVE animals and want to interact with them....its not for people who simply want to take a picture, criticize and then walk away....

Do visit...its quite an experience!!!!

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member