“Best service on the entire island--and the ambiance ain't too shabby.”

The Waterfront Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 168 Restaurants in Port of Spain
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 8, 2010

I was a guest at Hyatt Regency for 10 days in March 2010. The Waterfront restaurant is where I had breakfast, most lunches and dinner. It's the dinner service that I am most compelled to boast about. My diet is confined to seafood, foul and vegetarian selections. The menu is best captioned as fusion cooking, a bit American, a bit Caribbean, nothing is too spicy. The callaloo soup, jumbo coconut shrimps and crab legs with curry dumplins are my favorites but they're not always on the rotating menu. I had the duck with mashed potatoes topped with a wine reduction-drenched pear three nights. This entree, like many of the desserts, is a modest and satisfying serving with an elegant presentation. The salmon, which I had a couple nights, is satisfying but not highly memorable. Each night the highlight and show-stealer of my dinner was the dessert. OMG!! Fine art on a plate that never failed to complete the meal and melt my heart.

3  Thank SeafoodSalad

Reviewed October 29, 2009

Having stayed and eaten at the Hyatt we were keen to take my daughter there for a meal . We went there on a Saturday as they usually have a singer which creates a nice atmosphere .
On this occasion having been seated at a lovely table the smell from the water was awful and the singers voice was mixed with the piped music that continued to be played throughout .
The service as usual is superb here and it was only my daughters enthusiasm for eating outside that kept me there . I would think twice about eating there now .
The food is very good but they need to do something about the outside restaurant , and would recommend eating inside .

2  Thank JackieO07PortOfSpain
Reviewed December 2, 2008

best hotel

1  Thank gpick
Reviewed October 21, 2008

The review above reeks of self-promotion. Not that the restaurant is bad, just very very very expensive. The hotel is beautiful and the decor of the restaurant is very sleek, modern and gorgeous. Its just the food is overpriced. $18 US for a very average hamburger? Steaks are an unmerited $50 plus - high end US steakhouse prices a step below in quality. Again, the food is good, just overpriced. As for the staff - I ate at the bar as I always do. I bartended for years in my younger days and these guys were helpless. It was a slow night and they needed 4 bartenders to handle 6 bar guests and an empty restaurant. Service was slow though cordial - I practically had to beg for my first drink. Kept looking around and pinching myself to make sure I was not having a bad dream. Service in general is terrible in T & T though so that might provide reason but not excuse. I just have this issue with paying $10/drink for slow service and incompetence.

4  Thank Oatmeal77
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed July 1, 2008

Great decor, fabulous breakfast buffet bar open to the public.. staff are well trained and very attentive.. and very accommodating towards small children. After stuffing ourselves silly with divine local and international breakfast items.. we took a stroll along the "Waterfront".. Lovely view (if the weather is good). Highly recommended. Next, I need to try their dinner offerings..

2  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook