“Nice, but frayed and unreliable”

The Carlton Savannah
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I came into Trinidad late at night, making it through customs at 1 am expecting to be met by a car from the Carlton Savannah. I'd called the Carlton from the States and asked them to arrange for a car or taxi. Though they confirmed by email, no car or taxi was waiting when I finally cleared customs. I called the hotel and the clerk apologized and "hoped my day got better." Of course, I found a cab and made it to the hotel but this episode would be a harbinger of things to come. The hotel itself is a pleasant enough place, sort of like a developing country's version of a W Hotel--though not really close in execution. The room was large and decorated in sleek modern, though the view was of a run down apartment building next to the hotel pool. Getting up and down the elevator also was a chore as only one of two elevators worked during my stay, so I found myself enduring long waits and sharing elevators with maid carts and room service. Since I had a day to kill, I asked the staff what I might do in Port of Spain--perhaps hire a guide? The night clerk who checked me in said someone would call me in the morning, but they didn't. The next day, I asked the woman seated at the "Travel & Tours" desk what she might recommend I do during my day in Port of Spain and she didn't have any ideas other than to give me the number of the Econocar rental agency. Despite these travails, I ended up basically liking the place, though not enough to stay again. There are simply too many other Port of Spain hotels with better locations--Hotel Kapok--and better amenities and service--the new Hyatt on the waterfront.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that do NOT overlook the pool
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 23, 2012

From my very first day my husband and i arrived we were well greeted an given a room that suits us best, staff well mannered and helpful rooms hmmm everything was just perfect an i can guarantee my husband an i will definitely be coming back to this hotel trust me ppl don't study some of the foolish reviews its a good place an its everything as it looks in pics, an special thanks to Maria she's so lovely see you guys soon.....

Room Tip: A room at the higher level is better, it gives u a better view
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lisa M
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I was 100% happy with my 3 night stay at the hotel and was sad to leave. From the minute I arrived to the moment I left, I enjoyed it. I couldn't not fault anything about this hotel and look forward to returning on my next trip from London UK.

All of the staff were first class and very welcoming. In particular, Steffi Williams helped me with various requests and was extremely friendly, efficient and professional. Another staff member with a great work ethic was Alana Doodhai who arranged for me to purchase a gift voucher for a night at the hotel for a friend.

In summary, the hotel is great, and the staff are greater.

Andy Williamson

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Great Experience! The staff were pleasant, and accommodating. The rooms were clean and well-equipped. The only thing is there seems to be no wireless in the rooms. The location is very close to the city, so exercising by the Savannah, or going for food was not far away. I loved going to the pool at night and relaxing. The restaurant food was okay. All in all, I will recommend Carlton Savannah to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The staff and the rooms were great, I would definitely recommend it to anyone. We stayed for two nights one which was my lady's birthday and we received two free pieces of cake which was brought by management. We did however had a minor incident which we had to call back to find out if they forgot to bring ice to our room which we requested and after 15mins no ice. After we called they apologized and ice was delivered instantly. So overall Carlton Savannah was great. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This was my first stay at the hotel when i arrived there the check-in process was rather quick. I was escorted to my room by Joel who was very helpful.The room gave me that homestead kind of feeling clean and comfortable. The restaurant staff was rather pleasant and professional especially christine and the bartender. Overall I must say i was more than impressed with the Carlton Savannah, I must thank Karen and James(Front Office Manager) for making this a restful weekend and i will surely be back soon and will also recommend to friends.Thanks again for everything. See you guys soon.

Room Tip: Great place to relax with that kind of home feeling
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 28, 2012

First time I stayed at Carlton Savannah it was not what I expected. The checking in at the front desk was very slow and I had to wait approximately a half hour. It was clear the staff was poorly trained. To me this is turn as this is the hotel industry and as such front desk staff should look and act at a high standard. This is suppose to be a fairly new hotel and it is clear that the property is running down at a fast rate. I advise those in authority at hotel to get you all together and maintain property and don't allow it to run down.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple