I came into Trinidad late at night, making it through customs at 1 am expecting to be met by a car from the Carlton Savannah. I'd called the Carlton from the States and asked them to arrange for a car or taxi. Though they confirmed by email, no car or taxi was waiting when I finally cleared customs. I called the hotel and the clerk apologized and "hoped my day got better." Of course, I found a cab and made it to the hotel but this episode would be a harbinger of things to come. The hotel itself is a pleasant enough place, sort of like a developing country's version of a W Hotel--though not really close in execution. The room was large and decorated in sleek modern, though the view was of a run down apartment building next to the hotel pool. Getting up and down the elevator also was a chore as only one of two elevators worked during my stay, so I found myself enduring long waits and sharing elevators with maid carts and room service. Since I had a day to kill, I asked the staff what I might do in Port of Spain--perhaps hire a guide? The night clerk who checked me in said someone would call me in the morning, but they didn't. The next day, I asked the woman seated at the "Travel & Tours" desk what she might recommend I do during my day in Port of Spain and she didn't have any ideas other than to give me the number of the Econocar rental agency. Despite these travails, I ended up basically liking the place, though not enough to stay again. There are simply too many other Port of Spain hotels with better locations--Hotel Kapok--and better amenities and service--the new Hyatt on the waterfront.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On every island in the Caribbean there is a place where everyone goes, not to visit and leave, but to experience and return. In Trinidad, the financial seat of the Caribbean, it is The Carlton Savannah. Nestled in the foothills of the St Ann's valley, tucked in by lush bamboo and flora, is a boutique hotel especially fashioned for business travelers and locals who revel in affordable luxury - crackling with energy, sensuality and a sun dappled emotion of rest that stays with you long after your visit is over. The Carlton Savannah, located minutes away from the financial hub of Port of Spain, botanic gardens and Queen's Hall, and minutes away from a spectacular drive through mountainous rain forests to white beaches, is poised at the cusp of a tropical dream. Personalized corporate support for business travelers is our priority in the privacy of jewel shaded rooms, complete with complementary wireless service, flat screen televisions and living rooms doubling as fully equipped office meeting spaces. As a hotel committed to minutely personalized service, our concierge ensures home comforts and office requirements in a safe and luxurious environment. Rest assured... at The Carlton Savannah. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Carlton Savannah reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Carlton Savannah Hotel Port Of Spain
- Carlton Savannah Port Of Spain
- The Carlton Savannah Trinidad/Port Of Spain