“Best hotel in Port of Spain!!!”

The Carlton Savannah
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Port of Spain
Reviewed September 7, 2011

The Carlton Savannah is my favorite hotel in Port of Spain as it has all at the same time beauty, luxury, and warmness. I have felt there like being at home, but a very nice home where people take amazingly good care of you.
The pool is sea water, which is lovely! Also, the rooftop gives you a fantastic view on the city, it's so nice to enjoy a drink in the evening on the rooftop.
Rooms are very spacious and all well-decorated, in a modern but still very cosy way.
The Carlton Savannah, as you can guess from its name, is right in the middle of the Savannah, surrounded by botanic gardens and parks... definitely the best place to stay in Port of Spain, out of the traffic spots!
either for holidays or for business, you will feel all relaxed and comfy in the Carlton, and you will not be disappointed by the great services this hotel offers!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank pauline m
There are newer reviews for The Carlton Savannah

Reviewed September 1, 2011

Stayed here on 31st August 2011 as a much needed R&R with my hubby.
Every aspect of my stay was perfect.
The young lady who took my reservation ended up being my 'go to CSR' for my entire duration, and i must say this- she should be given an award for Excellent Customer Service, in fact ALL the employees were PROFESSIONAL, FREINDLY and made it their duty to see about my every need.
My room (803) was clean (spotless), added with the modern furniture, small fridge, coffee maker, stereo system, Plasma screen tv and MOST IMPORTANT- EXTRA COMFY KING SIZED BED, my hubby and I had a 9hr sleep.
The bathroom is made of a very cozy bathtub, the fluffiest towels and bathrobe and all the other modern necessities u would need.
We even got the use of the hotels DVD player for our stay.
There is a rooftop bar, and it being Independence Night the hotel offered free Sushi to all guests.
Morning-time, breakfast was at the hotels in-house lobby restaurant RELISH- food was delicious, not as expensive as 1 would think for this modern hotel & worth every penny
WOW!! an experience to remember.
AND I vow to be back.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChinNoel
Reviewed August 9, 2011

The ovewhelming majority of the stay, interaction with staff & overall service was well in keeping with its star rating.

Our arrival was marred, not by the downpour but the front desk. There were 2 main issues- firstly although we were booked as group, arrived as group and were paying as group Mickhail at the front desk attempted to put us on separte floors. Secondly, we were told the the arrngement for using a substitute pool had been cancelled. The front desk clerk, Mickhail, certainly must be trainee, it seemed to me that he was performing his first check in. In fact he failed to check in one member of the group nd referred to me as 'Mr.' I make no claims to beauty but I am clearly female. both problems were handled deftly by Kipton.
I would humbly suggest to the manager that the delightful Nicholas, should be put in charge of Mickhail's training. Nicholas was competent, conscientious & courteous - the 3 C's of service.
We were delighted by the friendly & efficient staff that we encountered in the restaurants & bar. Kudos to the Food & Bev Manager Mr. Hadley who seems to make it his business to show guests a good time. In our group we had diet restrictions they were very helpful in guiding our selections of meals.
The cleaning staff as well were thorough and very accomodating.
The hotel itself provided an escape from the bustle capital within easy reach of the culture, nightlife & opportunities contained therein.

2  Thank Uninterpellated
Reviewed August 9, 2011

When we came to the Carlton Savannah for the long weekend, I didn't know what to expect. This was my first time to coming to any hotel. But when we came to the front desk, the staff, Kipton, was polite and wonderful and the valet, Nicholas, offered to park the car while we settled to our rooms. It was a wonderful idea that they have security cards as keys to unlock the doors and the rooms that we came to have a unique style in the decor, furniture and beds. They had great cable, clean sheets and bathrooms with everything you need for a bath and/or shower.
Breakfast was delicious. It was served in the restaurant within the hotel, aptly named Relish and the staff listened very carefully to what you want and don't want in a meal. My favourite meals were the omlettes and the Farm, where you can have any two eggs any way you want with sausages, potatoes and some fresh vegetables. Of course, they must improve on the poached eggs to prevent any case of salmonella. After we leave for the afternoon, the housekeeping staff came and clean up all our rooms thoroughly and leave no stone unturned. The pool was wonderful and the rooftop bar has a wonderful, quiet ambience. The overall design of the hotel was of contemporary art and the rooms were fabulous. They had technicians for every part of the hotel, especially the pool. They kept it clear and clean and it's deep enough for anyone to swim and walk into. They don't have a lifeguard, though, so you better know how to swim without any trouble.
When housekeeping comes to our rooms in their daily rounds, we had to put away our things in case they take it up by accident. Nevertheless, the did a wonderful job in cleaning and tidying, replacing all the towels and making up the bed with clean sheets. They also clean the floors thoroughly, although they should check under the beds at all times to pick up garbage.
The rooms have all the things you need for your stay: a small fridge, a radio an LED TV with cable, shelves for your shoes and other items and closets with regular and clip-on clothes racks. Everything you need in a bathroom and bedroom is supplied on a regular basis. The housekeeping staff will know what is really needed in the rooms. The beds are comfortable and well-suited for a good night's sleep.
Overall, the hospitality was excellent, the service was great and the rooms were well-suited indeed. Thank you, Carlton Savannah, for the experience!

1  Thank aabullock
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We're a group of four friends that reserved two double occupancy rooms.
Prior to checking in at the hotel, I was told that the pool was under maintenance and if it wasnt ready I would have the option to cancel my booking up to two days before ( Spoke with Janelle - she was very pleasant and accomadated all my questions). Two days before check in, I called and enquired about the pool (Spoke with Mickhail at the frontdesk). He stated that the pool was not ready and was uncertain if it will be by the check in date. However, he did say that accomodations to use a nearby pool at another hotel was in place and this option was available to us. I was elated and quite pleased.
Check in day - it was a bit of a rainy afternoon and my friends and I arrive at the hotel entrance in one car. Nicholas, the valet parking attendant was so warm and friendly he made us feel most welcomed. We walk about 5 steps through the door way (which was a sliding glass door) to the front desk where Mickhail and Kipton were there to greet us. Mickhail proceeded to check me into a room while Kipton did so for my friend and her guest. Kipton had no problem attending to my friend and her guest. However, Mickhail seemed at a lost. He initially ignored that the fourth member of the group who was standing right along with the rest of us, until I mentioned it.
We were checking in as a group and with that in mind we were book one room on the fourth floor and the other on the 11th floor. We're weren't asked first - I had to request if it were possible. (We did manage to get bookings on the same floor). Kipton issued two room key cards to my friend and her guest, while Mickhail issued me and my guest only one. (I returned later after unpacking in my room to request the other). Assuming all this was not intentional, I dismissed them (along with the fact that he addressed my female friend as MR) and I proceeded to enquire about the pool. This time I was told that the pool is still under maintenance and the SHOCKER was that now we won't have access to any pool (which we we promised prior). When I questioned this, I mas made to feel as if it was hard luck andI felt taken advantage of and slightly made to feel insignificant.
Kipton stepped in and politely said that the sales manager will address this the very next morning. I was pleased with that. (the pool did become available by the second night)
Apart from the blunders at the front desk - the other staff made us feel welcomed and were very hospitable. Special mention should me made to other employees such as Kathleen, Jason Hadley and Alana for taking on our concerns and making our stay a pleasant and relaxing one. There were other staff whose names I cant recall who greeted us with smiles. Thank you to them as well.

1  Thank Carlton_Guest
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We had the pleasure of staying at this hotel over the weekend. The environment is very serene, the staff were very warm, professional, and very accommodating. It also has a very modern and chic appeal/design. From the moment we checked in Mickel (possibly wrong spelling) made us feel right at home. We were escorted to our room and it was gorgeous. Room service was prompt and the food presentation was very appealing. The bed.... O M G, sleeping on clouds. We didn't eat in any of the restaurants, but they were very well laid out, there is also a bar/lounge at the top of the hotel on a Friday and Saturday night. We didn't visit the pool, but did have a really great view of it from our room. I cant wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2011

My mom and her sister stayed for a birthday weekend. It was nice and cozy. Some staff members at the front desk were a little rude but after talking to the manager, everything was back to normal. The rooms are very classic and the olympic length pool (although a bit narrow) has lovely bath salts that make for a refreshing swim.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Radisson Hotel Trinidad
Radisson Hotel Trinidad
#5 of 22 in Port of Spain
D' Coconut Cove Holiday Beach Resort

Been to The Carlton Savannah? Share your experiences!