“kitchen staff”

$94.38*
Nature Tour from Port of Spain
Ranked #2 of 103 things to do in Trinidad
More attraction details
Owner description: This small resort, buried among mountains deep in the Trinidad rain forest, is famous for its amazing diversity in animal and plant species.
Reviewed March 16, 2010

i had one of the best meals i ever had in my life there and the person who made it was dianne jeremiah .i did not have the honour of meeting her face to face but i got her name .All i have to say is congrats to the chef and i will be back .Heres hoping i get to meet you this time ,well done.

4  Thank shawty1986

Reviewed December 22, 2009

We toured Asa Wright Nature Center with Denise Etienne. She very patiently explained all the delightful details about the leaf cutter ants, as well as the various plants, trees, birds and animal life, including park history. No question was too stupid to answer. It was easy to tell that she loves this planet and all life on it. We couldn't have asked for a better guide. We arrived a bit late for the usual lunch, so huge, delicious sandwiches were waiting for us when we finished our tour. Some day we would like to return and stay several days so we can take in all the wonderful sights and sounds of this beautiful preserve.

1  Thank Insuregal
Reviewed March 19, 2009

This place is unique to anything I've ever encountered in my many travels. Words just can't say enough about the knowledge of the guides, variety of bird and flora species you will see, as well as the beautiful rainforest sights you'll see on the Arima-Blanchisseuse Rd. just to get here. All the other reviews are correct, so I won't go into detail. This review is for readers to enjoy some of the things we experienced during our half day tour there in Jan. 2009. We saw many more birds and flora than there's room to show on this sight. Very exciting to hear and see the bearded bellbirds that live there. Most unique call by a bird who sounds like a metal hammer head striking an anvil.

3  Thank cmb2
Reviewed February 16, 2009

My husband and I spent a week at Asa Wright as part of a packaged birding trip. We had a nice, large, clean room just below the public veranda with our own private balcony and view of the shrubbery that housed multiple hummingbirds and other birds. Our own private tufted coquette showed his tiny feathers for us first thing in the morning more than once! The room was very clean with good shower, adjustable ceiling fan, lots of closet space and two reasonably comfortable beds. It was certainly more than adequate as you come here for the flora and fauna, not for the hotel experience.

The food was adequate--prepared and served cafeteria style--and one dines family-style with one's group and with others who are around at mealtimes to make up a large table. Atmosphere is very informal and friendly. The staff was very friendly, courteous, and pleasant.

The guides who staff the veranda to answer questions and help with bird identification are very well-trained, knowledgeable, cheerful and helpful. They also lead walks around the property on some of the many trails and identified both flora and fauna for us. You could go on as many of these walks as you could fit into the time you have, including in the evenings, to see owls, sleeping birds, and other wildlife such as tarantulas, tree frogs, etc. A highpoint was a trip to the oilbird cave on the property, led by the head guide, Mukesh, who is an outstanding guide. Landscape on the way down there is almost prehistoric--lush, dense and green. Even though it rained frequently (in the "dry" season) it was exotic in its own way. A good tip is to bring several inexpensive plastic ponchos that you can stick in a pocket or day pack and carry with you for rain emergencies. Also be prepared for mud underfoot.

The main problems we encountered were in field trips away from Asa Wright to see birds in other parts of the country. Here they used outside contractors as guides and the head man was too old and past his prime as a guide, seemed bored with us and spoke in a whisper which only a few people standing near him could hear (his son and nephew, who also accompanied us, were much better at helping everyone see the birds and speaking loud enough for everyone to hear). We were given no maps and little orientation. "Picnic" foods on the field trips, were packed by Asa Wright's kitchen and were not handled well at all. The picnics were colonial style--i.e. with a hot dish brought along with "real" plates and silverware. This would have been fine if a group of British servants and bearers had come along too to make sure the food was served really hot (or cold) and that there were chairs and tables to eat from. What really happened is that the food left the kitchen hot but was kept neither hot nor cold and rode in a (not very cold) cooler in the back of a van for several hours before serving. Since one day's dish contained lukewarm chicken that was a recipe for disaster and in fact several people got sick that night. There was no good place to sit down at the lunch spot, so one had to balance plate, cup, knife and fork as if at a cocktail party--not so easy out in the woods or by the side of the road. Sandwiches packed in a cooler and individual drinks would have been much easier to manage, to clean up, and would no doubt have been safer to eat.

Water was carried in a single cooler at the back of one van where it was inaccessible before the lunch stop, and then there was only one styrofoam cup per person. It would have been much better for them to have provided everyone in the group with an individual water bottle so that they could drink at will (it was very hot and one gets easily dehydrated out in the field if one doesn't drink frequently. One could then refill the bottles at the rest stop without bothering with cups (which as someone else mentioned are not ecologically correct anyway).

In general, Asa Wright is a very special place and if you are interested in birds this is a must see at some point in your life. But there is room for improvement in the food department.

5  Thank arkytrav
Reviewed September 21, 2008

I stayed at the center in September , 2008 for two days. I am not a field naturalist or even remotely knowledgeable about flora or fauna. But I wished I had planned for a longer stay!!

From the early morning coffee with the birds on the verandah I was hooked. The hiking trails through the forest was so much better than sitting at the beach!! The food was great and the staff and guides knew their business.

I enjoyed every minute athough at first I wondered how I would survive without TV or radio.

I now know where I can escape to, so expect to see me again and again and ....

4  Thank TrinidadSuz