“BIRDS AND PEACE” 4 of 5 bubbles

and up
Asa Wright Nature Center Guided Tour from Port of Spain
Ranked #3 of 94 things to do in Trinidad
More attraction details
Owner description: This small resort, buried among mountains deep in the Trinidad rain forest, is famous for its amazing diversity in animal and plant species.
Trinidad
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“BIRDS AND PEACE”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

If you want total peace and relaxation and love nature and birds especially this is the place for you. The road to the centre is a bit scary as it is narrow and winds through the mountains. The trails are easy and fun as you encounter crystal clear streams, animals and strange bird calls. On the verandah where the wild birds come to feed it is an array of colorful and beautiful feathers. Some strange rodents-agouti also partake in the meal.
The silence is deafening at nights. The rooms are small, but comfortable and when the dinner bell rings you do enjoy a nice meal. Evening tea is also very nice.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank BARRY M

Trinidad
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Best nature centre in Trinidad”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

My family and I have spent the weekend and visited on a day pass on many occasions and I must say that if you're a bird lover, this is the place to be. Several species of hummingbirds are to be seen alongside other birds. You might also see an agouti , lappe or snake. Furthermore, the rare oil bird or Gauchero is evident in the caves there. The Great House is the place to be for afternoon tea and a most sumptuous dinner. As a visitor and nature lover one must visit Asa Wright Nature Centre.

Visited August 2012
Houston, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Asa Wright - A Must”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Our first organized birding trip-surpassed our expectations. The staff at Asa Wright was very accommodating. Went during off season, July 2013. Food was Trini in flavor and was a good experience. Our room was basic but comfortable. Our guide, Dave Ramlal, was beyond fantastic, as well as Mackesh, who found the Little Hermit for my wife. We booked through Caligo Ventures and all went according to plan. In all we saw 181 species of birds between Asa Wright and other parts of the trip, 157 were new to us. Dave brought in the Wattled Bell Bird, Feregamous Pygmy Owl, 2 species of manakins at Asa Wright, woodcreepers, and 2 species of Trogons, to name a few. We will one day return, as I missed several species of birds, and will definitely stay at Asa Wright as well as request the services of Dave Ramlal as a guide. As far as I am concerned, I would have paid more for this experience. Great place.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank jim e
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Awful food experience (walk with a sandwich)”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

This review is really to express my dissatisfaction and disgust with the food. After having to wait for the triangle dinner bell to be sounded (which was fine, all part of the experience I guess), we all had to queue up for our lunch which was self service. After picking through a stack of DIRTY PLATES to find the least dirty ones (they were all dirty and this is no exaggeration) we found out that the meat served was pork. This is fine except that no one in our group eats pork and there was just that single meat option! Of course I only found out that it was pork after having to enquire from the kitchen staff about the entire menu since there was no signage. For TT$150 per person for lunch plus the cost of the tour which was separate, maybe they could afford to provide at least more options (meat/ fish/ vegan) OR just ask about MEAL PREFERENCES/RESTRICTIONS when taking the lunch booking! After sitting down to our vegetarian lunches, a very gruff member of kitchen staff approached us and asked if we cared for some fish instead, which was a great gesture except that she asked with glaring eyes. We were grateful until the fish actually came. Wafer thin slices of tilapia about 2"x2" inches wide (I kid you not) and a single piece of fish was placed on each of our plates. I found it quite insulting. SIDE NOTE: I LOVE the outdoors and nature but I was actually underwhelmed by the tour. I guess when you are used to greenery (I live in T&T) you aren't as easily impressed by ant colonies! Still, I'd recommend the tour for visitors. BEAUTIFUL BIRDS which made up for the atrocious food experience!

Visited June 2013
4 Thank snali
Diego Martin, Trinidad
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great Outdoor Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

be prepared for a lllooonnggg drive, through the hills walk with your camera very great scenery but once you are there very relaxing, good location for writer to relax and write

Visited August 2012