“Sort of disappointing”

and up
Asa Wright Nature Centre from Port of Spain
Ranked #3 of 96 things to do in Trinidad
More attraction details
Owner description: This small resort, buried among mountains deep in the Trinidad rain forest, is famous for its amazing diversity in animal and plant species.
Budapest, Hungary
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Sort of disappointing”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I checked the reviews on this attraction before deciding to go there. Everyone was so over the moon about it that I thought it would be super fun. Well, I was disappointed and trust me, that's an understatement. I don't know, you might have to be crazy about watching tiny birds from a distance and standing at spots where you're supposed to see this animal and that animal, which are not there because they mostly come out at night. I guess the night tour must be a lot more exciting than the day tour. In all honesty, I saw a lot more wildlife (including beautiful butterflies) at other places in Trinidad. I have more wildlife in my home because I keep tarantulas and fishes. The whole tour was a drag, I really regret going to this centre.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank veronbalogh

Grand Cayman
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Tranquil and beautiful!”
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

This place is like a gem. I went with a group as a part of our university course and wow this place was amazing. We had a buffet style lunch and watched the hummingbirds most of the time. After we had a guided tour to see some of the native plants and animals (mostly birds). Some of the people in my group were griping about all the walking, but it was so quiet and relaxing. Our guide told us about the history of the centre and she knew her stuff when it came to the nature. She also wanted us to try the termites that were on the tree (did it and they tasted sweet). She was really patient with me as I liked to take pictures. I was mostly amazed with all the hummingbirds that were flying around. Cute little things. I definately recommend this place if people like to go on relaxing walks.

4 Thank Lindsey M
London, Canada
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Highlight of Our Trip to Trinidad”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We spent half a day at the Asa Wright Nature Centre on our recent trip to Trinidad and Tobago. It was a beautiful oasis and we enjoyed the guided birding tour. Even though we aren't birders, our guide's enthusiasm was contagious. We had a nice lunch on the verandah watching the hummingbirds flit 3 feet from us and then we explored some nature trails on our own.

A definite must-do.

Visited February 2013
5 Thank SherreeLynn
Fort-de-France, Martinique
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“a day in Birdland”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

this place in the middle of the forest is so refreshing away from traffic jams and noise; and so many birds to be admired right from the verandah; it is worth it to spend the day there, have lunch where you'll meet other fellow birders. Phone in advance to check when there's a visit to the oil bird cave.

Visited January 2013
“Nature at its best”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Note kids not allowed.

Nestled in the hills of Northern Trinidad with beautiful views

Natural pool near a spring to have a bath - water is extremely cold as you are high in the mountains.

Lots of flora and fauna to be seen.

Birds especially in abundance feeding and flying all around you - its a photographer's (and nature lover's) paradise

I wish my kids could have experienced it though.

Visited January 2013