“Grand view, lovely people”

Carriacou Grand View
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We were only there for one night due to a change in our plans, but it's a beautiful old hotel with a truly grand view of Hillsborough and L'Esterre. Shirley and Rosita(?) both had such a warm demeanor they made us instantly feel at home. Since we arrived on Boxing Day, restaurants were still closed, so we had dinner at the Grand View and also asked them to hook us up with a picnic lunch for our boat trip the next day. They put a lot of care into the food and you could taste it. The only issue we had was a surprise mosquito attack that night (the property is high on a hill, but they'd had an exceptionally rainy rainy season), but that was easily remedied by closing the windows and firing up the A/C.

All in all, the Grand View was a surprising find in little ol' Carriacou. Thank you, ladies for taking such good care of us!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nancy W
There are newer reviews for Carriacou Grand View

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed at the Carriacou Grand View in February 2013. We had the apartment with the kitchen but we did not use the kitchen. The rooms were very spacious and clean. The views are gorgeous and the pool and grounds are lovely. Our favorite feature was Shirley's delicious dinners. Next time we stay with her we will plan to eat in more often. We went to Carriacou for the quiet and beauty and were not disapointed.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hotmeema
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I packed my bags for a spontaneous, and relaxing weekend getaway, and thankfully all of my wishes came true, much thanks to Carriacou Grand view hotel.
I walked into my room after I took a short taxi ride from the port arriving from the nearby island of Grenada, late afternoon. I was welcomed by a lush mountain backdrop and a flow of sweet breeze, I felt comfortable enough to keep the balcony door and window open allowing fresh air to flow in. In the morning, and every morning thereafter auntie Shirley, as I affectionately began to call her, or one of the lovely staff would prepare breakfast as I sat on the balcony overlooking green hills and colorful fauna. I was guaranteed to have fresh, sweet, local fruit delicately cut and placed on my plate.
Walking distance from the main street, so I was able to explore town at my leisure without getting a taxi or bus; only a short walk down a couple hills and I found myself right in the action.
Mrs. Shirley, who is from Carriacou gave me great tips on places to visit and specific contacts to guide my spur of the moment desires.
I thought it would be great to go sailing through the Grenadines one day and I was recommended to call a friend of Shirley's, Captain Cutbert Snagg.
The boat trip guided by Snagg island hopping and snorkeling through the Grenadines was pure BLISS!
If you like rum, the rum punch on the premise was some of the best I've ever had. Grand view was a treat overall, topped with a dash of sweet fragrant nutmeg.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank MWardally
Reviewed August 23, 2013

So we were on Grenada for 2 weeks in July. My wife and I, with our 3 teens. We had never visited the Island before. Carriacou Island is a 3 hrs. Ferry ride away and well worth the trip! Much more laid back than Grenada with beautiful beaches and great diving.
We got off the boat with no real set plans. We first got a bite at Kayaks. Great food! Then, a block away is Dee Ferr Diving, where we made our dive plans for the next day. We still weren’t sure how long we were going to be on the Island but it was time to find a room. Grand View was recommended. It is a fair hike from the dock, especially with luggage so we took taxi. July is off session so we had the entire hotel to ourselves.
The good: Grand view has AC in each room, and a fresh water swimming pool. The view of the hills and the peek of the beach is, truly Grand! It has a restaurant in house, so you don’t need to venture into town if you don’t need to.
The Bad: The beds are squeaky loud and hard. The AC is loud! Plan on an hour plus for each meal in the restaurant. The Credit Card terminal doesn’t always work. That means a trip to the bank. The hotel is ¾ of a mile from a useable beach.
Our Experience: Upon our arrival, Shirley the owner suggested we pay for 3 nights in advance. For some reason we agreed. After the first sleepless night we decided it was time to move on. Getting a refund for the remaining 2 nights was a problem, a BIG problem! Shirley went on about the calculation policy. Mind you the hotel was empty. It was her idea to pay for 3 nights to begin with! And then conveniently the CC terminal stopped working for the refund. We did get a refund days later. It kind of felt like we were escaping by the time we left. There was one casualty in the whole experience. My son’s iPod disappeared from the room. Plus a $100.00 bill was gone as well. That really left a bad taste in our mouth. The good news is the other locals took exceptional care of us. Noël at the Hotel Laurena saved the trip. What Hospitality! And the rooms are big, AC quiet, beds comfortable! We cant wait to go back and visit Hotel Laurena

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank Nomaddad63
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Had a wonderful experience at Grand View recently. Staff were courteous and helpful and always available to offer assistance. Rooms were kept impeccable and we were happy we had a room with A/C and use of kitchen facilities. The view is lovely and the environment tranquil.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My mother and I spent 10 days in Carriacou and we stayed at the Grand View Hotel. When I first saw the pictures I wasn't expecting much but when I got there I was plesently surprised.I believe that this hotel has the best view on the island from the top floor. I spent a lot of time just watching the ocean and every night enjoyed the sunset. The people who own and operate the place are very friendly and caring. We had a nice breakfst every morning. They also offered lunch and dinner which is local cuisine. By the way, this is the only hotel on the island with a pool. It was really nice to come in from the ocean and walk right into the pool for a refreshing dip!
The only reason that I didn't give this a perfect score is because the beds are a little stiff. I preffer softer beds. However, it was still managable for me. And would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Get the apartment on the top floor. It comes with a kitchen, small living room, tv, large bathroom...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank sraupe
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Carriacou is a small unspoilt island...part of the Grenadines.....there is nothing flashy about the island....however there is natural beauty and local friendliness in abundance. If you are looking for value for money, friendly and helpful staff, great position and lovely food.....look no further than this hotel.....we will be going back to carriacou soon and wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with air con............
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Magazine Beach
The Mermaid Beach Hotel
The Mermaid Beach Hotel
#1 of 2 in Hillsborough

Been to Carriacou Grand View? Share your experiences!