New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Paradise returned” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Beach Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carriacou Island
Sunset Beach Hotel
You added Sunset Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Cambridge UK
“Paradise returned”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Not really a hotel but a collection of modest rooms and a large veranda. The 'paradise' bit is important, however - it's a hop and a skip from your room to one of the best beaches in the Caribbean - and there's almost no one around, apart from the fishermen and the odd local, taking their constitutional.

This is real Caribbean living - not a synthetic holiday experience that you would find in one of the larger Caribbean islands. And are precious few visitors on the island, largely from neighbouring Grenada. The rooms have low grade, sometimes home made, amenities. There's the odd hole in the floor. And definitely no air-conditioning - if that is a must, don't even bother to visit the island.

After a year's gap, we came back for another month at Sunset Beach. In the earlier visit, the staff were awful - loud, rude and unhelpful. This time, the Manager was on her own and the sense of calm was palpable. She was delightful and fun. We ate breakfast each day in the hotel's tiny bar on the beach, which was perfect. Our evening meals were taken elsewhere - a couple of minutes walk in the gentle surf in either direction takes you an acceptable beach bar. For people staying for more than a week, the menu at either location might become repetitive.

Why did we return? The location is outstanding. The rooms are very basic, but in a warm climate (40 - 45 C in the sun each day) you tend to sit in the shade or go into or under the water. And the island is a treasure...please don't tell anyone.....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank NMarshall

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

This is a great little hotel with all of the basics that you need, the 7 rooms are equipped to satisfy most needs and range from a single room with Fan and a fridge to a twin double bedded family room with a kitchenette: 1 room has air conditioning and the remainder have fans. Typical of this out of the way place you will not find hot water, but the shower is not too cold. Located on Paradise Beach which would be very difficult to improve upon. The bar/restaurant offers basic food and drinks with friendly service and something a little more elaborate can be arranged subject to discussing wit the cook.

If you are looking to unwind in a truly 'away from it all' beach location, then look no further

Room Tip: With 7 rooms on ground level you just need to indicate if you want 2 beds, a kitchen or air conditio...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I stayed here for a few nights in April with my husband and 9 year old daughter.

The location is second to none. We loved the big verandah with sea views to sit out on playing cards in the evening. We found the staff to be in the main very friendly and the manager very helpful (we had some holes in the mosquito nets and she produced some new ones immediately, there was a bit of a problem with the plumbing and again it was sorted very quickly). The rooms had very high ceilings and so were pretty cool - we didn't need the a/c, only a fan.

They made us lovely cooked breakfasts every morning (what a view!) and we ate there a couple of evenings too, the food was good. The "no credit" posters are obviously not aimed at tourists as we could pay when we wanted. The beds were comfortable but oddly short - we are not tall and our feet were hanging off the end!

There are a couple of things they could do to improve the place - hot water would be good (we didn't mind not having it and obviously knew that this was the case before we went) - we were only there 4 nights but had it been longer I think I would have liked to have this. Also some additional furnishings in the room would have been good - a bedside light was the main omission, and some drawers to put clothes in would have been nice too.

The reviews that say this is not a hotel are right - it is some rooms on the beach with a small restaurant/bar attached that is open intermittently. The nights they weren't doing food we made our own from the fruit stall up the road and a few other bits we had and they let us borrow some plates etc. As there is not always food, I think the rooms would benefit from a kitchenette (they are big rooms, there is plenty of room for this and some of the rooms do have them). If you like smart hotels and slick service, this is not for you. In fact Carriacou is not for you!

We had a wonderful time - Carriacou is paradise and this is the best location to stay in my opinion. I will be going back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank CountessDrac
Bury St Edmunds, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

Well just as the title suggest,on arrival went to bar posters up everywhere about 4 of them!!NO CREDIT HERE !! DONT ASK your not going to get it ummmm a very negative atmosphere just as the staff was,No smiles couldn't be BOTHERD,very off putting,we spent a lot of money to get out to the Caribbean and then a ferry across to Carriacou to find paradise beach.Yes the beach was lovely,no choice of food at THE HOTEL.The room itself was bare no running hot water,there was a kettle with NO cups,spoons the fridge was dumped in the room but wasn't working,also the outside light was left on all night and through the muslin style curtain Ummmm see through kept us awake so yes we decided to move out the next day.would not recommend it only if the staff stepped up and a menu choice Ummmm

Room Tip: dont sleep near the outside light keeps you awake
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Michelle J
Cambridge UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

We have just returned from a three week stay at Sunset Beach and it's something of a mixed bag. Beautiful location, right off the beach. Our room was large, equipped with both ceiling and pedestal fans and a cooker and fridge. Pleasant and spacious (shared) verandah to sit on.

As noted elsewhere, this is not a hotel, but a fairly attractive complex of six rooms with a public restaurant and bar located right on the beach. Rates are competitive. It could be a goldmine, but it never will be with the current staff involved.

During our stay, two seperate Canadian couples and a party of Swedish doctors booked in - none would ever return. The people of Carriacou are typically gentle, friendly and welcoming; in contrast, the Manageress (daughter of the absentee owner) sets the tone with her rude, thoughtless and unhelpful approach. "Completely the wrong attitude to customers" was one comment. "She made us feel completely unwelcome" was another.

During our stay, we were never asked whether we needed anything; rules were applied for guests that were never explained or written down anywhere. When I mentioned that we had had an enjoyable day, the Manageress' response was "It's OK for you - you're on holiday".

Meals were a movable feast....when I asked in a friendly manner at 11am whether we could eat dinner that night, her answer was "I haven't made my mind up yet." So, we gave up eating there, apart from breakfasts - advertised as being available from 7.45 am, but that turned out to be when the sullen staff (the sole exception being the part time cook Theresa) arrived to start sweeping the floor; our earliest breakfast was at 8.30.

My guess is that noone working there has ever visited a hotel or had even the most basic training in hospitality. Replacement sheets had to be requested - in two instances those provided were badly torn. It was normal to be reading on the verandah at 8pm with the staff standing nearby shouting at each other, or listening to loud music at an adjacent table. Sadly, we came across many people on the island who would have made perfect substitutes.

The comments about security are unfounded - the island is virtually crime free and we never locked the door. The departure of the staff was an experience to be welcomed, not to be concerned about.

We've paid more than 25 (extended) visits to Caribbean islands. We love the places and the people. We'd return happily to Carriacou, but I wouldn't wish a stay at Sunset Beach on my worst enemy.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
16 Thank NMarshall
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

As I came to the Caribbean I wanted to stay on the beach. There are not a lot of places on Carriacou where you can stay on the beach. When I came to the hotel there was first nobody to been seen. After some locals called the owner she came and I was able to get a room. The room was clean but had not much in it. The bed was comfortable but in the bathroom / shower was just cold water no hot water at all. The whole place looks from the outside really nice the location on Paradise Beach is amazing but this is nowhere a hotel. For me Sunset Beach is more like some apartments put together. A hotel for me considers at least hot water a fully run restaurant and reception and security in the night. There was not one of those things. The restaurant was only open if you made a reservation before and in the night the whole place was without any security. Next time I would stay there again as I now know what to expect because you can not beat the location. But I think they should take the hotel part out of their name as this is no hotel and only bears false expectations.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
7 Thank scubagirl666
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

This place was beautiful. The location is amazing on Paradise beach. The rooms are large and there is A/C. I didn't get the feelig that I was super welcome here. The staff wasn't super nice or welcoming- NOT what I had experienced overall in Grenada.
When I asked about arranging a trip to go snorkel and to see sea turtles I was looked at like I had six heads. I was then handed the phoen to call places myself. Not super expensive and great location but the attitude from staff bothered me a lot.

• Stayed July 2011