“Fantastic!”
Review of The DeckHouse Bar & Grill - CLOSED

The DeckHouse Bar & Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Modern Caribbean cuisine in a casual waterside setting in Bequia's beautiful Port Elizabeth harbour..
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We went to the Deck House on our penultimate night in Bequia and our only complaint was that we hadn't found it sooner!

The place itself is exactly what we were looking for....from the moment you get dropped at the dock (by far the best way to arrive) you feel instantly like you're walking into somewhere special. A fabulous atmosphere with lovely soft lighting, waves lapping against the dock and views out to the ocean. I loved the chunky wooden picnic benches as personally find them far more sociable and comfortable than clackety tables and chairs....especially on a dock. The service we had was probably the best on the island.... warm, genuine and very efficient.

The food was delicious.... it was a set menu with I think just one choice for starter and desert and two for main, but each course was exceptional. Cooked to perfection (and I am fussy!) and incredible use of flavour. I would say it was easily one of the best meals that we had over 2 weeks split between Barbados and Bequia.

Would highly recommend to anyone.... just call ahead first as they're not open everyday.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Arriving by water taxi was part of the experience, which just got better!
Lovely atmosphere, quick and attentive service,and the food was excellent, expertly cooked with great attention to detail.
A very relaxed and enjoyable evening, will definitely be going again!

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We ate at most of the 'recommended' restaurants in Bequia during our stay on the island and The Deckhouse was undoubtedly top 3 (see other reviews for the other 2!).

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome by the bar staff and did not feel the least bit awkward to be their only guests (more arrived later). There was no rush for us to eat and we didn't feel hurried so enjoyed a drink before moving over to our table - a sturdy picnic bench arrangement literally on the waters edge, the whole affair oozed quality from the deck itself through to the awning and even the benches! Definitely the 'smartest' place we ate at if you want something a little less rustic.

The food was a slightly different taste to elsewhere on the Island with a more European slant, we started with a mouth watering seared beef which was perfectly rare and some of the best beef I have eaten in a while. My main was chicken stir fry - sounds simple but it was frankly one of the best stir fry dishes I have eaten in ANY type of restaurant. My Wife's main was lobster cake, the name does not do it justice - more lobster than cake and again very flavoursome.

Still very new and rarely open due the summer being round the corner but I cannot recommend it enough, Adrian and his partner have done an astounding job considering the amount of time they have actually owned the plot and I wish them all the best for their future plans and first full season!!

N

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Newly opened in March, The Deckhouse is Bequia's only restaurant with a truly waterfront location (I certainly can't think of another....) The deck stretches out over the waves in Hamilton (under the Fort) with a beautiful and unique view over the whole of Admiralty Bay.

The decor is delightfully understated - stylish but not too formal - and the eating area is covered from the elements with a large canopy, opening out as you look across to Princess Margaret & Lower Bay. You feel like you're eating totally al fresco, yet are offered total protection from the sun/rain.

All lovely and very romantic, but what about the food?

In a word - fabulous! Adrian and Suzanne have gone with the tried and trusted formula of doing a few things but doing them very, very well. The menu changes all the time, but we had a delicious aubergine salad with home made flat breads and a chutney 'to-die-for' as a starter. For mains I had the slow cooked lamb whilst my husband had mahi-mahi which he pronounced perfect. No small compliment as he is notoriously pedantic about having his fish coooked 'just so'. Dessert was home made chocolate truffles which were 'Heavenly'. And I had a double helping as hubby was just too full. Wonderful!

As for the service - first rate. We were greeted by the smiling waitress as we entered, and throughout the evening not once did we wait for drinks. The food was promptly delivered and beautifully presented. Once the cooking was finished Adrian came round the tables and chatted with all his guests.

We did also have Sunday brunch there which was equally wonderful, but I won't bore you with the details - check it out for yourselves.

So overall we had to say that this was the best dining experience we have had on Bequia - I don't think I've ever felt moved to write a restaurant review before. Our only gripe? That it's just plain to far for us to pop over from the UK every week! Although when their guest house rooms open, I may well be booking in!