“Papa's has it all”

Cuisines: Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 11, 2014

My boyfriend and I first stopped into Papa's on a Sunday night for a cocktail at sunset. We enjoyed meet Gert and were pleased to hear he's always open till 10pm no matter what. A week later we decided to treat ourselves to a nice dinner. Papa's did not disappoint. We love the Rum Punch, possibly the best I've ever had - so fresh and tasty! For an app we have the deep fried goat cheese. It was fantastic, both crunchy and soft, savory and sweet. For dinner I had the fish and chips (the best I've ever had) and my boyfriend had the ribs. Our only complaint was there weren't more ribs! We could have easily eaten half a rack more; they were so good. The service was excellent, Rosemary is tentative but not overbearing. The food came out quickly and was delicious! We can't wait to go back and try dessert next time.

There are newer reviews for Papa's Bar

Reviewed July 27, 2014

First up about papa's is the position. It sits on a lowish hillside with a large outdoor decking area overlooking Admiralty Bay, and I can't think of a nicer place to sit at any time of day, but especially in the evening, watching the comings and goings at the ferry dock and the busy boats servicing the dozens of craft moored in the anchorage. As dusk turns to night it becomes a fairyland of bobbing riding lights with the moon glittering off the dark harbor waters and the lights of the other hotels and restaurants flickering through the trees across on the Walkway. The bar is often pretty busy and some nights there are a couple of guys thwacking away on guitars and singing - giving renditions of various pop standards in the same tempo and even managing to sing, 'No Woman No Cry', in the same rhythm which was definitely not reggae!. An achievement in itself I thought. Another guy plonking away on nylon strings (change 'em, please) was actually worth listening too and we actually popped back knowing he was gigging.
But to the restaurant. It's sort of hot & cold. Our first meal there was very good; an unchallenging burger for me, but good with it, and the usual mahi-mahi with Caesar salad for da missus. Pudding was okay too but exactly what it was escapes me. I do remember though that we had a lobster starter which was truly excellent. On another occasion I had a pork dish - jerked, which was okay and my wife had fillets of lion fish which she declared delicious. Two out of two - so far so good. We took a friend there (we were on Bequia for four weeks btw) and her meal was okay whilst ours was middling - to be polite. Our final meal of Papa's 'special rubbed ribs' was appallingly bad and I suspect that they were frozen, straight out of a packet and microwaved. The fries were sodden in stale oil and the salad limp and lifeless. A piece of sweet-corn was so cold the garlic spread (margarine) couldn't bring itself to melt on it. But to be fair it was the fag-end of the island's season and I suspect that everyone was getting just a little bit fed up with cooking and serving. Having said that our servers were politeness and sweetness personified and were ever helpful. An interesting note, though: Papa's must be pretty reasonable because on one occasion we spotted and exchanged hellos and greetings with Bernt the owner of the somewhat plush Bequia Beach Hotel, over in Friendship Bay. He was either at Papa's for the food, drink and entertainment, which must surely be an endorsement or he simply craved a bit of conversation in his native language- Papa himself being a fellow Swede. A bit of both perhaps. Make no mistake, though, Papa's is certainly worth a visit or two: it has lots of atmosphere and views and is a good place to eat when on form.

Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

This place was fun and had a great ambiance. The owner and staff made us feel so comfortable and at home that we elected to eat at the bar just so we could continue to hang out with them! It didn't get a higher rating simply because the food and drinks were just okay.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

Papas is around five minutes walk from the harbour at Port Elizabeth and overlooks the bay. It has a great feel with a bar, a cosy lounge area opening onto a deck and several tables on a deck with a great view. Service is prompt and friendly. The menu was fairly standard for the area but with daily specials. The barbecued ribs were delicious even if the portion was a little on the small side. There was some low-key live music in the bar which added to the ambiance. Overall, a wonderful place to chill out on Bequia island.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Enjoyable meal. Reasonable prices. I loved the decor which was a combination of a British pub and a Caribbean beach house. Beth, our server was also very lovely and helpful.