“Probably the best restaurant on the island”

L'Auberge des Grenadines
Ranked #6 of 44 Restaurants in Bequia
Cuisines: Caribbean, French, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Went there the first friday in January, fabulous cuisine (a fusion of French and Carribean), generous portions, truly lovely staff (Bernadette: you are a star!). In fact we loved it so much we went back again on the following Monday!
The menu is brief (a good sign....means chef prefers to concentrate on doing a few things very well), the prices reflect the excellence of the cuisine, but are not ludicrous, the views are stunning accross Admiralty Bay. All in all, a good place to enjoy good food.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Huge lobster pool downstairs at the entrance where you walk in - these lobesters are big! ordered large and got that; chef Eileen got the meat out of the fish for us - garlic butter to go with it and great service/ live music - all pretty awesome actually - from our various visits, we would say this was the best restaurant we ate at in Bequia

Reviewed December 28, 2012

The owner tries to execute a top quality caribbean meal served french style. Bequia is not france however, and this translates to wooden service (I wondered if the owner was berating the staff in the kitchen, they never smiled) and expensive over-done food. The Lobster was good and fresh, and view lovely and the atmosphere elegant. I had the lobster with rum sauce, which was thick, and gooey. All of the vegetables were way over cooked.

1  Thank Sandra B
Reviewed December 16, 2012

The last time we went to this restaurant was about 7/8 years ago and I was looking forward to see how it had developed since then. The answer was not at all. The menu was the same as was the décor. Even the owner appeared the same as he sat in his corner bar stool looking cool, French, and not very visitor friendly. There was a jazz trio with a good guitarist a most adequate lady saxophonist and a distinctly strange keyboard vocalist that looked just like Zoot in the Muppet Show. They actually were rather good except for some laden remarks from ‘Zoot’ if we did not applaud loud enough! It was not crowded so we had to do a lot of clapping to keep him happy.
The starters were excellent and we had the same as our first visit which was Calalou soup and Onion soup and they were first class. We began to relax so ordered wine and water and two lobster mains fresh from the tank. My wife had to hide her eyes as a struggling lobster was plucked from its pool. Sadly it might have died in vain as. Like a lot of things on the island it was a bit dry but I enjoyed mine at least.
By this time the owner’ regular drinkers turned up to join him at the bar. I am sure I recognised some from last time! We certainly started to feel like outsiders at a private party as the bar got louder and louder with much posturing and teasing going on. In fact we paid our bill and slunk off without a farewell from good old Jacques but EC$410 lighter (£93.89). For that price a mere acknowledgement of existence would have been appreciated!

1  Thank Craven
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Back in Béquia after our hurricane season in Grenada. We had good time but we are glad to be here again. On our south it was holiday time for the Auberge and we were frustrated not to have a good meal. So we staid just a few days in Béquia.
We were waiting for our next passage going north to have a few evening « soirées » in the Auberge.
I was longing for lobsters (i have cooked a lot by myself of course…) but to have it fresh caught from the pool (in front of my eyes !!!!!) and when it arrives on the table with the fantastic garlic butter……MIAM…….I don’t speak anymore and I « dive » into my plate till there is nothing left…..
My husband was, him, longing for half cooked tuna (thon mi-cuit) and beef tartare, which is , he says, the best one he has ever eaten. Thank you Chef Eileen. It is always one of the best stop for a good diner.
We have recommended this restaurant to many friends and many yatchties. As we meet again in different places ; all of them say to us :
- Thank you for the adress, we had great time there and we give the information to other friends
the « auberge des grenadines » is gorgeous.
Do continue to look so well after your customers. We will always be happy when we stop in Béquia.