“Pleasant Furnishings”

The Cobblestone Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Kingstown
Reviewed August 11, 2007

This is a nice looking property and the suite we had had an excellent A/C unit. The day we arrived (a Saturday) saw us being checked in by a very unfriendly woman - the staff further into the stay were much nicer! The plumbing left a lot to be desired and the shower was more cold than hot, and the shower nozzel fell off if you tried to adjust it. Would I recommend this? Maybe to a business traveller. I did not like the area where this hotel was and you have no beach near by. Next time, we will head to Villa Bay area.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank kidsandcopes
There are newer reviews for The Cobblestone Inn

Reviewed July 19, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for a night and the AC was hardly effective. Also, the staff was really not cooperative and customer friendly. When I checked in late at night, I had requested for a late checkout next day. However, the lady next day refused any such request. They said it was not possible and when I tried to convince them, it appeared my words fell into deaf ears.

Otherwise, the hotel is decent. It looks good, because of the stone building (probably a French Inn?). Definitely not for honeymooners or couples..

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank mdixit1980
Reviewed July 2, 2007

Once again because I'm an after work vacationer, I arrived late - 10 pm and a guard checked me in. Again! This one was better as he was expecting me and so gave me the keys and left checking in for the morning staff.

I was pleasantly surprized. The room was immaculate! The bed comfortable and bathroom modern. I had suite 24. It was the newest in the hotel and hence featured all the latest amenities such as both american and european plugs. Which suited me fine, since I use both. It also had a refridgerator, desk etc.

The owner was gracious and was worried that I would find the room a little noisy since it was carnival time and one of my windows faced a busy street. However, it didn't bothered me as I was out being a part of the carnival activities (smile) and when I got in I was exhausted and drifted off to slumber land with ease. Yes the bed was very comfortable.

I peaked into a single room and it appeared to be of the same quality.

Few words of caution - the best thing in the restaurant (owned by Cobblestone) was the glass of water and the view over the roof tops!

I however enjoyed my dinner at the Mariner's Inn ( near to the airport ). They served amazing meals (French).

For a quick bite could grab a burger and lime juice (lemonade) from the bar downstairs. ( The bar & restaurant downstairs is not owned by Cobblestone. )

I truly enjoyed my stay and would return any day!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank JamaicanLawyer
Reviewed March 21, 2007

We arrived at what looks like a lovely property, clutching the email confirmation sent to us 6 weeks previously to be told that they had no booking for us. There were another group there at the same time in the same position, again with written confirmation.

The woman on the desk was less than helpful, and just kept saying that they had no booking for us. I enquired whether this happened much and she did not answer, so I assumed that was a 'yes'. I asked that she write on our confirmation that they had been unable to give us a room and sign it, so that we had evidence if they tried to charge us and she refused. She found accommodation in an apartment for the other group after phoning around and suggested that we could share, which we declined. Eventually a lovely taxi driver found us somewhere to stay for the night (Fair View Guest House - see separate review).

We returned the next morning to try to get to the bottom of what had happened and sort out making sure they had not taken payment. This time they had a completely different story, which was that they had known that they were overbooked and had made arrangements for us to stay elsewhere, and that the person we saw the previous night must have made a mistake. In a small family-run place this seemed highly unlikely, and even if it were true the way she treated us was not acceptable.

Our assumption is that they had managed to sell the room for a higher rate (it was during the Cricket World Cup warm up and there were lots of cricketers staying) and just dumped the long-standing booking that we had made. Whatever the reason, a mistake was forgivable, the attitude wasn't.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank TimeToTravelAgain
Reviewed February 20, 2007

We only stayed at The Cobblestone Inn for one night, as we flew into St. Vincent in the evening and were taking the ferry out to Bequia the following morning. I selected The Cobblestone Inn for its convenient location, right in town near the ferry deck. My impression from reading reviews was that it was a kind of adequate, functional businessman's hotel, but it far exceeded my expectations. It is in fact quite a lovely place, a hotel built in and around an old sugar warehouse, one of the oldest buildings on the island. The old stone walls gave a unique and charming character to our guest room, which was large and nicely furnished. It was a hot and humid night, so the air conditioning was most welcome. In this part of the Caribbean, often only very expensive hotels have A/C.

Unfortunately, as it was Sunday night, the hotel's well regarded restaurant was closed, but the next morning we enjoyed a nice breakfast in the open air roof top cafe. At breakfast we got the chance to chat for a few minutes with Mrs. Joshua, the hotel's owner, a very friendly and warm person.

The town of Kingston itself in not much of a tourist destination, except for the hours when a cruise ship is docked in the port. But The Cobblestone was such a nice place to stay that on my next trip through I might try to add on an extra day and see some of the local sites, giving me a little more time to appreciate this architectural gem.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank mbennett
Reviewed August 14, 2006

The Cobblestone Hotel-Completed in 1814 a true sence of history revived.I stayed at this hotel for 3 weeks is a spacious suite which was egelantally decorated in plantation style decor. You must remember one thing and that is to slow down as everything moves a little slower here, once you have achieved this these islands will make complete sence to you.The Cobblestone Hotel was once a sugar storage facility that has been completly restored to a fine hotel.Mrs Joshaua owner is a direct decendant of the late Prime Minister and you will notice this as you arrive at the airport as this is also named in his favour.Anything you want to know about you will be able to get answers here, where to go,dine and have fun at night or just sit on one of there many beaches.Located in the hearth of downtown Kingstown,St Vincent directly accross from the port terminal and the ferry service, all open air fresh produce markets and stores.
I found the staff to be friendly and very helpfull, breakfast was a treat and always fresh, this hotel also hosts Basil's Bar which is one of the most popular spots to have a light beaverage or a more eligant cocktail. Basil's is also the spot where most of the political figures come to have a cold one before ending the day you will find most of the patrons to be very well versed and will be delighted to welcome you to there table for light and stimulating conversation. Basil's has fine dining and again the staff are without dout the very best. This is a center point location where you can get to anywhere you want , take advantage of their service and let the Cobblestone arrange a cab or a sight seeing tour by boat for you, you will get the best rates for your dollar.I personally will stay here again not just for the food but just to keep in touch with history.Its like family here....Dr John A. Gonsalves

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank M.V.V.
A TripAdvisor Member
Port Charlotte, FL
Reviewed May 5, 2006

Rooms were clean, and quiet. It was a bit pricey in comparison to what we found on other islands during this trip. Restaurant was disorganized for breakfast, and slow. I would recommend for adventurous travelers if price was not quite so high. I think we could have done better elsewhere. The Cobblestone Inn has tremendous potential if effort was placed on value, food service, a touch up in the rooms, and general staffing.

• Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingstown
Blue Lagoon Hotel and Marina
#2 of 5 in Arnos Vale
Sunset Shores Beach Hotel
Sunset Shores Beach Hotel
#4 of 5 in Arnos Vale

Been to The Cobblestone Inn? Share your experiences!