“First Class”

Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Dowlais
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Brilliant food and service. We were made to feel very welcome. All local produce and good wine choice all at decent prices. will return soon.

4  Thank Chris J

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I came here last sunday for sunday lunch with my family as recommended by one of my friends. The place was surprisingly small but very homely. It was pretty cold when we arrived but it soon warmed up once we started eating. The staff are extremely friendly, sometimes over friendly but that makes it great service! waiter come over to us about 3/4 times asking if everything was ok with our meals and whether we needed anything else. Even when we left he held open the door for us which is unusual for restaurants but was very nice :) It was quite popular by the time we went it was pretty much full up. The food was lovely, I had garlic mushrooms for starters and beef dinner. The meat just fell apart and cooked well and tasted even better! Reasonable priced, cheap enough for a sunday lunch!
I definitely will be going again with my family or my friends again! I do recommend this place as this is one of the nicest pubs i've been to in merthyr!

2  Thank Christine W
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is a converted house (or perhaps two) and was certainly very popular on the night I went with 6 workmates (Friday) so a booking is probably advisable. It was a little cold when we got there as we were one of the first to arrive but it soon warmed up. The owner certainly made every effort to welcome us and couldn't do enough for us. I did feel that as it was a full house they were a little under staffed as the waiting times were lengthy which on this occasion didn't really matter as there was so much laughing between us but I may have got slightly annoyed had we not been having so much fun. The meal itself was nice although not particularly memorable. I had creamy garlic mushrooms topped with smoked bacon which was very nice but not sure if the bacon was needed and for mains I had shoulder of lamb with a mint and redcurrent sauce which again was nice - what was a triumph were the accompaniments - hand cut chips, seasonal vegetables and the most delicious 'potch' local name for mashed potato with swede. For dessert I had the fresh raspberry and cream roulade which was lovely. Like I say, I enjoyed the night and the food was very nice but for some reason and I can't put my finger on it, I don't think I'd rush back although I feel a little mean for saying that as they tried so very hard to please.

3  Thank HappyWelshTraveller
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Got in on a off chance and was pleasantly surprised . A warm welcome and time to consider the menu , drinks brought to you as you considered the menu......the menu consisted of local produce and all cooked the "welsh" way.....liked the list of the suppliers , good touch........the food was excellent and also the service.......would give the review a full five star but the decor needs a bit of attention,sorry......would I go again?....YES.....recommend you give it a go.....local real welsh beer ....great.?......A GOOD DINING EXPERIANCE

Reviewed February 27, 2013

My wife and I visited the restaurant last fridaynight for her birthday and it certainly was a treat.
From the moment you arrive the service is first class.Declan and his staff are very attentive and nothing is too much trouble for them.
But they allow to enjoy their food with no intrusion.And the food is very enjoyable.
Locally sorced produce of the highest quality cooked perfectly.
I read in a previous review that someone found it a little expensive,well it's on par with the local Frankie & Bennys prices but a million miles away in terms of quality
Simply the best restaurant in Merthyr Tydfil.

5  Thank valleyman132